- advertisement -

i think i just lost 10 years of my life and i will have this womans job

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mistync991, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

(((((((((((Misty))))))))))))))

have you thought maybe a mini dose of glucagon if she is feeling overly full from eating? That nurse needs to be fired.

2. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Yikes!:eek:

Document everything carefully because someone that dumb will probably try to somehow blame you. She'll probably say that she did exactly as instructed and your instructions were wrong. This, of course, is untrue. Make sure to point out that the pump clearly says to disconnect from the body and she would have had to have chosen to ignore that more than once.

Also point out that her own playing around caused the problem in the first place. Of course she may deny removing the battery. I wonder if that is in the pump history? If the current status in the pump is lost, then it indicates that the battery either died or was removed.

Also point out that without immediate intervention she surely would have had a seizure. Can you imagine this lady trying to do Glucagon?

Another thing; how much insulin would she have pumped into her body if the cartridge had been full? 180u? It's only by the grace of God that she didn't kill her.

You might consider going as far as to getting a restraining order against her. Maybe you can even sue her for emotional distress. And the price of the food and drinks.

3. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!! Let's all get her!!!! What time should we be at the school tomorrow?;) Seriously that is horrible!!!! Hugs Misty and Taylor!!!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I know i'd love for us all to go there and make sure she understands how serious her mess up was and that this young girl could have been seriously hurt. The whole thing makes me feel sick to my stomach

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

That is scary. I hope she is doing better now and her numbers are staying up. I sill can not figure out why she took the battery out. That would be like taking the nurse's brakes apart on her car and you let her drive it before you say anything to her.

I hope you give the school hell tomorrow. Completely uncalled for on her behalf.

6. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I agree with many of the others. You need to report this, in writing.

I am sorry you had to go through this. Some people just do not get how serious D and insulin are.

HUGS

7. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Wow, I hope everything keeps going okay.

I am so glad you are going to file a complaint. If she is stupid enough to mess with an insulin pump then who knows what else she will do to some other child.

8. MOM to KELLSE

MOM to KELLSE Approved members

Misty,
    I am so sorry this happened to your DD. I hope things are going better and that her numbers are staying up. I can't believe how stupid a nurse could be but i think she wins the most stupid nurse award for the year! Let her know that she just brought the wrath of all D moms:cwds:

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

I usually try to see the other side but on this one - there is no other side.

No excuse whatsoever for what she did. I would have made them call 911 right then and not touch her pump.

There must be someone to consult on when a serious medical error is made. I would seek advice on what should be done to make sure this woman's incompetence leads to her dismissal.

10. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

she is doing a little better she droped down to 70 again but came back up to 120 ...she wanted chinese for dinner and i was willing to get anything she might still eat as much as she has HAD to eat ...i didnt bolus for it and she is still only at 150 ...i did put her pump back on with a 50% reduced basil and ill be checking again soon and may or may not leave it on depending on what she is

at this point she has had juice, pb crackers, more juice, a soda, half a tube of liquid sucker, yogert, extra chocolaty chocolate milk, sesamie chicken with white rice, half an egg roll and a klondike bar ...eek! ...i think about 195 carbs ...all since 2pm and its only 8pm now

we went to the store after dinner and i think i bought everything i could think of to treat lows that wasnt filling

the "nurse"s suppervisor called earlier and told me the principal would talk to me as well but they didnt want to call to much with so much going on also her regular nurse has called several times just to check on her

the supervisor said that they would be meeting to talk about all of this and at the very least this "nurse" would be placed somewhere else and required to take more training ...the good thing is her regular nurse was there when i she finally called me and heard me on the phone so she will back me up should this "nurse" try and say anything to the effect of it not being her fault

the sad thing is this "nurse" has 25 years experience ....thank god at least IIIIIII know what im doing or it could have been even worse

uggg this is going to be a long night ...i dont think i will send her to school tomorrow

11. skyleysmom

skyleysmom Approved members

Oh Misty how scary! As the mother of a new pumper who is sending her to school for the first time tomorrow with her pump I am terrified reading this. I don't feel that I know what I am doing enough to trust her in the hands of anyone else. I feel like I would freeze in the same situation and not know what to do. I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I hope your night goes even better then we are all hoping for.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm so glad that they are going to move her elsewhere and the school is behind you. You are right, its a good thing YOU know what your doing!! Keep us posted on how she's doing what the school is going to do.

13. mamort

mamort Approved members

All I can really say is OMG. I'm so glad your daughter is doing ok. good luck thru the nite.

14. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I agree....She needs to be reported. I'm sorry you had to deal with her. Honestly, I want to beat the he$$ out of her for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

You could also report her to the state licensing board. This is unbelievable....Any priming done with anything, whether IV, Med tubing etc. is ALWAYS done before it's connected to a patient, what the heck what she thinking????

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  15. skimom

skimom Approved members

She needs to be fired.
    She needs to lose her ability to work as a nurse (report her to the nurses' association )
    she should not be moved anywhere - she should not be working with any one of any age
    If she touches your child again, have her charged with assault and battery, endangering a child etc - what ever it takes
    Take this to the top and higher - in your school district, with the department of health etc. Sad thing is you were talking to her giving her instructions - what does she do on her own? WHERE DOES SHE GET OFF THINKING IT IS APPROPRIATE TO TOUCH YOUR DAUGHTER"S PUMP AND PLAY AROUND WITH IT ?????
    You are handling this far better than I would....

16. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

she may be more than moved but they wont decide that untill they all meet on it tomorrow i think ...her supervisor, principal, teacher, regular nurse

she still isnt stable but at least she is in the 100's now and hopefully will stay there

17. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

18. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I hope she is more than just moved, she really needs to be REmoved from her position.

I'm sorry you are still having problems, do you still have her on a temp basal? I would be sure to let them know the difficulties you had the rest of the day and all night.. I still can't believe that lady did this!:mad:

19. DebEMT

DebEMT Approved members

Sounds like she's related to the school nurse we had when I was a kid!

I was in kindergarten when I was diagnosed with diabetes. My teachers learned what to watch for (things were a lot different then, so basically they were taught the signs of an insulin reaction (or low) and to give me some LifeSavers if I had one. And call my mom if they didn't help). The school principal and secretaries learned what to do!!

When I was in fifth grade -- 5 YEARS LATER!!! - the school nurse (an RN) stopped my mom - in the grocery store - one day and asked "What do I do if Debbie has an insulin reaction at school?"

Gee - you don't think you needed to know this 5 YEARS AGO?????

Sure sounds like they went to the same school!

Deb

20. shekov

shekov Approved members

I am shocked and horrified. Please let us know how your night went and how things are handled at school. Your daughter is amazing for wanting to eat after all of those carbs!