- advertisement -

I searched....but didn't find the answer I was looking for

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PokesforLife, Apr 1, 2009.

1. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

Ryan is 13.
    He was dx'd Aug. 2008 and started football 2 weeks later. Our numbers were always pretty good, but his body was also loving insulin at the time.

Fast forward.....he sat around all winter this season, not normal he has always done tennis but mom was pretty depressed this winter :(, we struggled this whole time with very high numbers, lowering some but going back up. Finally got basal and bolous working again and Baseball started!!!

Monday before baseball he checked, he was 175, high but not bad-he'd work it off, so off he goes. Comes home at 135 very nice!! I am happy with that, has supper and ice cream before bed, checks an hour after ice cream and hour before bed 130....thinking, ok sports rock!!!

He heads to the fields Tuesday at 279 (not correcting he thought he'd work it off again?) comes home Tuesday from baseball at 325???? Are you kidding??? This morning at breakfast he is 189.....I haven't heard what his other numbers were today, I won't till I get home tonight. (I am an hour from home working?)

So my question......should he have covered that pre-game high, if so the whole amount or part? How do I keep him from going so high after baseball, he usually has a gaterade and that worked last fall fairly well. He has babseball until mid August, I just need some ideas to fix this!!!!

Thanks you guys, and sorry if this has been beat into the ground already, I really couldn't find the answer I was looking for???

2. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I don't have any advice sorry. Phillip is so inconsistent with exercise I can't do the same thing twice.
    Maybe try pming Heather(CA). She has had a lot of success with sports.

3. PokesforLife

I will try her....thank you!!

4. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I usually either undercorrect Kat right before PE/playing/exercise or not at all because she may work it off. Sometimes she gets the adrenaline high, which makes her shoot up rather than come down. If it is an adrenaline high, I wait about 30 minutes before trating her for it because in that time, she might drop about 50 points. Since there is no way to predict this, I just choose to treat the high way after the activity is over if there is one rather than have to pull out the glucagon in a crisis.

5. PokesforLife

That's what I am worried about, over treating!!!

He is worked HARD right now, they are training, practice hasn't even started and he already falls into bed each night!!!

That 279, when I heard about it kind of caught me off guard, of course he was already gone and in the locker room by the time the nurse got me on the phone. And when we seen the 325, it was about 5:15-5:30p almost an hour after training. I did correct that one, but then I worried about crashing overnight? What if that wasn't a "real" reading? Maybe I should have given it more time? But he was STARVING by the time I got home, I couldn't make him wait any longer for it to come down, if it even would have??

Ugggggg, this is soooooo frustrating!!!!! I totally understand it will probably never work the same way twice, but it drives me nuts....you think you have it working and then......nope fooled again!!!:eek:
    Thanks you guys!!!

6. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Let's see if I get this right....

You should not exercise when bg is over 250. A bg of 250 suggests a lack of insulin. When you exercise with a lack of insulin you will not only go higher but you will develop keytones easily.

Bg should be around 150 when you begin strenuous exercise without a lot of insulin on board. When you begin to exercise the use of muscles increases the uptake of insulin and I believe you get more insulin sensitive. So, the amount of insulin that usually works when you are sitting around the house becomes more than you need and will make you go low when you exercise.

I try to send my dd to swimming around 130, at least two hours after her last insulin injection. It works best if she sips some carbs during the workout and then we cover her lows after workout.

Exercising with diabetes is a pain. There are even more restrictions than just living with diabetes. Your son needs to make sure he is not over 250 and without a lot of insulin on board when he begins a workout. If he is high, I would cover it and not begin exercise for 2 hours. (I know...not really possible when he's on a team, so he just has to start planning his eating and insulin 2 hours ahead of time.)

The morning number of 189 is odd. You have to figure out if your correction was too little or if it was too much and he rebounded. This takes a fair amount of overnight testing.

Good luck to you. When you have a child that exercises, diabetes is even harder to manage.

7. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I have found that Tyler has a "magic" number "150" - if he is 150 before a game or practice he stays right about there, but if he is higher than that his bg tends to continue to raise. Lower than 120 and he will drop.

I also find that G2 or Propel has just the right amount of carbs in it for him to drink during a practice or game without causing him to spike.

I think that sports like all things diabetes YDMV, and your best bet is trial and error. Good luck.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

It seems every year I go through this. I used to freat/worry.

Like yest.
    she was like 279? as we were going to soccer at 6pm. this was a hr after snack. I knew there was a lot of IOB. decide not to touch it. glad I didn't.
    she was like 120's? after. then later think lower.

would be easier to just keep them in bubble.

9. PokesforLife

Ok.....
    Karen: I never knew that stuff, our endo told us 300 with keytones he had to sit out until it was under contol?? I am not stepping on toes, that is all new info to me is all?? I have alot of things to get working on I guess!

Next: Ryan does take a G2 with him on the field and usually has a small carb snack in the hall on the way to the locker room.

Here was today.....
    180 at 7am
    253 at 11am (lunch at school)
    103 at 3pm (after school-before baseball)
    72 at 5:30pm (on the way to supper)
    369 at 9pm.......this really is driving me nuts!!!!

Ok my thoughts during this......the 3pm one I have no say, he tests, tells the nurse and runs to the locker room (though today 103 was great and I would have left it having him for sure eat that snack and for sure take the G2-which he did).
    The 72 on our way to supper (of course we had plans for going out to eat) I almost choked.....I haven't seen a number like that in many months!!!! So we order food and his total units should have been 5units to cover his meal, I think to myself, what if that isn't a true reading?? It is only 2.5 hours post training!! What if he is actually lower than that?? So we cover with 3 units???
    We were done with supper and home right about 7pm, so 2 hours later he wants ice cream, I ask him to test, I don't know why I just feel like he should and good grief 369 :eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fear is over treating him and having him crash on the field and/or crash period!!! I can't put him through that alone, I am an hour from him and thats an hour after they call me!!! I am so scared of this mess, I know know know high is terrible too, but I am scared to death of those lows. I am afraid for him, afraid for his coaches having to deal with that, afraid for the other kids having to watch it.....just everything....I thought I was finally getting a grip and then it blows up!!!!

Does anyone have any plans for something like this?? What am I doing worng? How can get a grip on this? How do make myself calm down and do what they told me to do.....why can't I get this????

Can someone please give me some hints, Karen I promise to call and ask the Endo about your info and make sure I am doing it correctly, we were just there mid-Feb and reminded him that Ryan would be starting sports again and I am pretty sure that's what he said again, he said the same thing when Ryan started PE too.

I really feel like I am going to loose my mind!!!! Can someone give me a game plan you would have done had you seen our numbers and had to deal with them????

I wish they'd just commit me now!!!!!

10. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Try to relax a little and look at the numbers as info on how to do it the next day...You will get it.:cwds:

11. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

KRenee is right about exercising with BG over 250--it can cause higher numbers and ketones.

You've received some good advice here from seasoned moms. I'll throw in my experience:

Emily's sport is swimming. We've learned that if she's over around 150ish, she needs a *tiny* amount of IOB (about 1/10th of a correction), AND 20 grams of a high-protein snack (the 20 grams is carb, not protein) for every 30-45 minutes she's in the water. If we skip the tiny amount of insulin and just give her the snack, she'll come out of the water high.

Of course, this is all easier to do with a pump, but Heather's son is on shots and she does a great job with this.

Sports are the one thing that seem to be the most individualized. It seems like everyone has a different "trick" that works well for them. For us, it took months of trial and error before we discovered what worked for Emily. And it's never perfect--some days her body seems to react differently and she comes out of the water low or high.

My advice is to keep a log when he's physically active. Keep track of his BG, how much active insulin he has, how hard he's exercising and for how long, and how many grams of carb he consumes prior to and during the event. You might be able to see days where something worked well for him and begin to experiment.

Last year at camp, we were told that exercise affects BG for at LEAST 24 hours after. During days of intense exercise, it may be useful to run a lower temp rate (or if on shots, reduce the ICR for food) for 24 hours. Our muscles store some amount of glucose which is depleted during exercise and is the first to be replaced after.

Good luck!

12. Denise

Denise Approved members

We were told by our endo that if Molly doesn't have ketones she plays. She tends to have adrenaline highs..even before the competition starts so if we went with the "no exercise over 250" rule she'd NEVER get to play anything!

13. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I also will allow Tyler to play no matter what his number is ...over the past 3 years and many sports games and practices, both he and I have noticed that his performance is definately effected by his numbers, if he is high he plays like CRAP!!! I now know to tell Tylers hockey coach that he will not have his ususual stamina if his bg is over 250, and to put him out for shorter shifts...

The first step in beginning is to have him at a number that you both feel comfortable with, which in our case was a higher number with no correction, and as time passed and we (kind of) had an idea of what his body would do during certain sports (games and practices are often different, as is each sport) we have brought that number down and down.

14. PokesforLife

I want to thank all you moms!!!!!

Football went so well, I just figured this would be good too??

I agree, baseball isn't "intense", but his training is....they have the boys doing weight training and everything!!! Where has my baby gone?? They are turning him into a little man!!!

Twinklet: I think the logging is a good idea, more details, more numbers!!! SOLD!!!! :) Months....oh boy!!

Heather: the 72 was about an hour AFTER training, in the car on the way to supper. I am going to work really hard at getting him level this weekend (no training going on) so he has a good start to next week!!! He has try outs on Tuesday, so he'll be stressed out Monday night!!! We ended up correcting half the 369, so 2 units and covering all his ice cream.

24 hours.....so for the next 2 weeks I am screwed???? They don't throw in games until the 21st!!!! Until then it will be this crazy training stuff!!!

You all have given me really good info to work with, I really appreciate it, more than you know!!!! I'll let you know how it's working!!!

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

"Heather: the 72 was about an hour AFTER training, in the car on the way to supper. I am going to work really hard at getting him level this weekend (no training going on) so he has a good start to next week!!! He has try outs on Tuesday, so he'll be stressed out Monday night!!! We ended up correcting half the 369, so 2 units and covering all his ice cream."

This is good, then I still think 2 less units is probably why he was so high, it's ok you did a great job then just got a little nervous. :cwds: I do agree that he needs less insulin at dinner, just not THAT much less unless he's high...Weird I know:rolleyes::cwds:

16. soulsfr

soulsfr Approved members

we recently switched from mm to animas! the ping is awesome-LOVE it! my son is an athlete-and can stay on the pump while playing sports! he recently got pushed in the pool at school-pump on-NO WORRIES!!! it is a little tricky ith the extra pushing of buttons-but he remote feature helps tremendously! good luck :p

17. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

I have to think that sports aren't the issue. Two weeks after DX your total daily dosage to weight was probably real low. The pancreas while 90% killed off was still kicking.

Fast forward a half year. I bet you using a lot more insulin. The beta cells in the pancreas went off with the cheerleaders and you son's BG is no longer getting that swing insulin form the body's regulatory process.

You may still be in the process of beta cells dieing off. A rule of thumb is at 'full onset' he will use 1 unit of insulin (TTD) per kilo of weight. There is a good chance you are not there yet with an Aug 08 dx date.

Then again a teen boy in sports can eat enough to require bolus more than 1 unit TDD/kilo heck with the basals.

If it is a ‘Honeymoon’ why aren’t we at a beach in on some nice Island? oh and there is this A rant of D humor

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  18. PokesforLife

Well I found some of the demands I am fighting against!!!

My bottomless pit teenage son is adding to his main lunch at school!!!! He has decided that the lunch isn't enough or gross and ADD's in a piece of pizza and/or a jelly sandwich!!!!:eek: I am ok with him eating whatever he needs to eat.....our endo said "do not stop feeding him" and I am ok with that!!! But the boy has to tell me so we can cover things correctly!!! The jelly sandwich it's self is an extra 3 units of insulin he should have that he hasn't???

Uggggggggggg, teens!!!!

It's ok I still love him, and we talked about it and then laughed. It's as new to him as it is to me!!! But I still plan to stay on top of the sports stuff!!!

Thanks again everyone, anything else ie still welcome!!!!:)

19. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

See YDMV on Teens

I recommend FFL in the Summer for teens did ours a world of good.

20. PokesforLife

Badshoe: You have no idea first how much I need that get away, but I can't afford that trip right now, I can barely keep food in the cupboards and his supplies in his drawer. I know he'd benefit as would I but I can't pull that off. We'll be lucky to go camping once this summer and call it good!!

Thank you though for the idea, know that I have loked into it and wish I could find a way to make it work!!