advertisement

I primed Pod while attached. Ever done this? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Dec 23, 2012.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

My first pod change without the rep. I accidentally attached the pod, then primed it, then inserted the cannula, in that order. I called Insulet and they said "it shouldn't be a problem, just do it in the correct order next time". Just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and if there were any adverse reactions. I just check him 1.5 hours post breakfast and he's 300. Just ruminating on my next move. Thanks.

2. momofone

momofone Approved members

I haven't done that personally but I'm sure there will be someone here who has. The first pod change I did, I took the plastic cap off first and all the insulin started coming out as I was filling the pod. Then the next pod didn't double beep, then the next one started screaming when it was priming. I nearly had a mental breakdown. It's been smooth sailing ever since though.

3. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Yes, I stuck it on before primiing it but since it hadn't inserted the cannula yet I wasn't too concerned. Nothing bad happened afterward.

We always have highs after pod changes, probably due to bubbles so I always give her a starter bolus and check an hour an half later and adjust as needed.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes, we've stuck it before priming more than once. It's fine.

We always have highs after pod changes. Have right from the beginning. now we to do 3 units with the change, or Hana will go in to the 300s. I realize that is a scary amount of insulin. That's just what works for her. She's 11 and 95 lbs. you may want to try bolusing for food next time and adding a small amount of additional insulin. Then check periodically.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I've also done this by accident a few times and it has never mattered aside from getting insulin in the window which you can avoid by priming with the cap in place.

The high sounds like a random high, just bolus for it as you usually would. Some people see highs after pod changes, we experience an equal portion of highs, lows, and no-change after pod changes, in other words, BG was changing anyway coincidentally with the time of the pod change.