- advertisement -

I need ideas for a silent auction basket

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kyleesmom, Sep 11, 2009.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

Next Wednesday is Back to School Night and the different organizations at the school are putting together baskets for a silent auction. I am the Junior class advisor, so we need to do one for that and I am also the HOSA advisor(Health Occupations Students of America) so we have to do one for that. I have never done one of these before and dont know what type of things go well and what doesnt. For the HOSA one we were thinking about doing a first aid/emergency basket but I dont know what all to put in it. We would like to keep them around $25 for a starting bid.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

We do them every year at christmas for our music parents group...we have about20 of them..let me think of some of the themes...

movie night (popcorn, movie rental coupon, etc)
    family game night (cards, UNO, board game)
    Coffee basket (coffes, mugs, gift cards to dunkin donuts/starbucks)
    Chocolate
    bath/spa items
    books

first aid is a good one for your other group

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

movie night
    game night,
    dinner out
    craft
    scrap booking

for the first aid/emergency one, but what you can think of that would go good with a first aid kit.. bandaids, neosporine, tweezers, flashlight.. if you go to the camping section in walmart they have a large assortment of survival/firstaid/ emergency things..

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

you've heard some great ideas already. here's another (maybe not great :eek: ).... I won a wrapping paper basket once and I can't remember the last time I had to buy a gift bag or bow! There was an assortment of papers, bags, bows, ribbons, etc. Many dollar stores carry these items or Target has great stuff on sale all the time.

5. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

New Baby Basket
    Beach Basket
    Seasonal Basket..or Holiday..
    Baking Basket

You can find so many things to put in your baskets you make Jill at the good ole dollar store too..:) Good luck and happy auction!!

6. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I have been chairing school auction baskets for several years now and I have to be honest, the first aid basket probably won't be a big seller. Movie nights, Chocolate basket, Coffee basket, pamper yourself basket - ask a local massage company to donate a complimentary massage, or hair cut, or wax etc., board game basket, baking basket are all the biggest sellers. Good luck. Make lots of money!!

7. Big Hair Momma

Big Hair Momma Approved members

I love this idea! I would bid on this in a heartbeat! The next one I do is going to be this. :)

8. kyleesmom

Great ideas! Its funny you mention a wrapping basket, I had actually thought about that, but then thought it probably would be something only I would want. Now that I know Im not crazy, I think I will do that. I wasnt too sure about the first aid basket because most people already have all the stuff we would put in them. It just made sense because of what the group is. I know that baking/cooking baskets are always pretty popular here too and will check and see if others are doing one and what will be in it.

9. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

love the wrapping paper basket idea. did that for a bridal shower for a friend once, but never thought to use it for a basket auction.

i won a children's basket at an auction last year, it had an ant farm, books, school stuff, gift card to b&n, volcano kit, etc. pretty cool for the kids.

we have one of these coming up soon so i will definitely be keeping these ideas!

10. CButler

CButler Approved members

A pasta basket:
    pastas, sauces, marinara, spaghetti server, cheap colander, red potholders, recipe book

Kids toys basket

Snack basket(easy to fill up with cheap stuff for sure:rolleyes:)

Fall color-coordinated basket of food and decorations

What kind of basket are you using?
    Make sure to have big and little stuff, putting the big in the back with smaller in the front.

How are you wrapping the basket?

I used to have a home-based gift basket business. It was a lot of fun!

11. kyleesmom

I havent got the slightest idea. We live in a small town and I have no idea where we are going to find a basket. It could be a challenge wrapping it with rolls of wrapping paper in it. I thought I would get few rolls of paper, some of the flat packages of paper, rolls of tape, gift tags, tissue paper, boxes maybe some generic cards, bows, ribbon, bags and colored pens.

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Here are some of the ideas we send to our team for our JDRF Silent Auction each year

Today is our deadline for the auction procurement forms and unfortunately we have not received as many procurement forms as I?d hoped and expected.

For anyone that feels like they had intended to do more, but just ran out of time? it?s not too late to contribute. Here?s your chance to deliver on your commitment to the Silent Auction Team if you haven?t procured any donations, or feel you could have done more if you only had more time (the ongoing saga for us busy people)?.

This is my call to action! Send me a quick email with a list of things you can purchase & donate yourself. Here?s some ideas:

- 3X bottles of your favorite wine

- 1X gift certificate each to your favorite restaurant and coffee shop

- 1X gift certificate for a service you or your husband can provide (ie. weekend at your vacation home or afternoon picnic on your boat)

- 1X gift certificate for BBQ or dinner for 6 with wine at your house

- 1X basket of your favorite wine and gourmet snacks (our basket team will even do the wrapping)

hair care, kids books, "bottled" recipes, skin care, towel set, kitch tools, seasonal things...........

13. Noel

Noel Approved members

If you do go with the wrapping paper basket try to add a boxed sets of cards to it. You know like a box of 20 birthday cards or sympathy card or a mixed assortment. My aunt gave me a gift like this one time and at first I will admit that I didn't think I would use it and I just finished using the last card from there!!

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

How about a basket of assorted greeting cards? I am always running out and wish I had a stockpile.

15. CButler

CButler Approved members

Use short rolls if you can find them. If you use a basket with a handle, stand the rolls up and tie them to the handle with curling ribbon. Then you can arrange the other things around that.

Use the bows and ribbon to fill in holes after you have everything in there for part of the decoration.

16. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Disney
    Hotwheels
    puzzles
    gift cards to restaurants
    Nascar
    Camping

17. carcha

carcha Approved members

Some popular baskets at church are:
    Patriotic - included a full-size American flag, red, white and blue Christmas ornaments, 4th of July decorations (garlands, window clings), red, white and blue candles with pretty glass holders, stars and stripes snack bowls and dishes, a book about the natural wonders of our country, red and white mints and probably other things that I'm not remembering, but you get the idea.

Cozy night at home - bottle of wine, small fleece lap blanket, gift certificate for a cheesecake, candles for the dinner table, mugs, tea assortment, etc.

18. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

hotwheels
    puzzles
    restaurant gift cards (that was a hit)
    Barbie
    cat, dog supplies
    star wars
    art/craft supplies
    Disney
    gourmet coffee/tea/hot chocolate

ETA: Didn't realize this was an old post, lol. When I scrolled up and saw my other post I went WTF? LOL

19. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

When I worked at a local college, we did a "study" basket with granola bars, sunflower seeds, raisins, m+m's,ramen noodles, tea and hot chocolate andput it in an oversized gourmet coffee mug. They sold very well! I love the wrapping paper idea.