- advertisement -

I need help reassurance....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

My dd 2 1/2 dx dec 19thl. First sickness. At 15 carbs at dinner and then threw them all up. We hadn't insulied her at that point at docs said not to. The advised 1 unit of lantus since bsg was 300. Now she has moderate ketonesand they told me to give her one unit of humalog. She has had nothing,,,but a sip of water ,,,,I am freaking out about this being her first sickness..can everyone please give me help, what to expect, reassurance, a stiff drink?? Anything will help I am lost.."..."

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

How are you checking ketones?

Her bg was 300 before throwing up?

How much lantus would she normally get?

You need to have juice, sugar popsicles, sugar-free popsicles, possibly some flat sugar ( regular) soda, lollipops, and regular gateraide. Do you have someone who could run to the store for you before it gets too late?

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Sickness is scarey. Even at almost 1.5 years, my initial reaction is always panic. Even though we've never had trouble. My daughter's first flu with vomiting occurred three weeks after diagnosis. I had just injured my foot and was on crutches; I think she brought the bug home from the acute care center. Our team said to watch and the Lantus might carry her. It did.

Push as much fluid you can. Keep an eye on the BGs and especially ketones. I don't know if you have a blood ketone meter, but they're really nice compared to urine strips. I can't imagine trying to get a urine ketone test done in the middle of the night with a little tyke. It's hard enough with a 12 year old!

Nap whenever you can, because if this lasts more than a day or two, you're going to be beyond exhausted. Round the clock correction doses take their toll.

It's tempting to want to up the basal with the highs, but on Lantus we were cautioned NOT to, as if the bug left quickly, it could be 24 hours of fighting lows. On a pump and CGM, I up the basal to whatever I can see it takes. It's a whole different strategy and scenario. But, we change sets more often to make sure a bad one isn't causing highs.

4. Williamsville mommy

Sarah. She threw up and then her bsg was 300. She isn't potty trained yet so it's through gauge in her diaper she is supposed to get to units of lantus.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Another thing: call your meter company and ask for a back-up meter if you don't have one. Accu-chek had offered us one when we called to register the freebie from the hospital. I learned how important back-up meters are when my daughter and I were both on the sofa/sleeping mat...and the meter took a swim in one of our drinks. Accu-chek told me it happens a lot with illnesses! They had a new back-up to us with in a couple days.

Don't forget to carb the Motrin liquid. I think I guessed it at the equivalent of honey. That was a low point for me...needing to dose for pain killer.

6. Williamsville mommy

Good idea didn't even think of that scenario.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry, but I'm confused. What are you checking via the "gauge"? Ketones? Bg?

8. Noel

Noel Approved members

Blood Ketone Meter

Another thing you might want to check into for future use is a meter that will check ketones using blood from a finger stick vs. urine. It is less of a delay in the time that the ketones show up. For us, checking ketones via blood vs. urine has enable us to catch the ketones sooner. The name of the meter is the Precision Xtra.

Ice pops are the choice of fluids here when we have stomach issues.

Here's hoping for a quick, quick recovery!!!

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Respectfully, with regard to your dosing questions - they're better posed to your physician or the on-call doc.

I'm sure everything will be fine, but we here can only offer info from our own experiences. With this recent a diagnosis, I understand your anxiety and concerns, but try to relax and relay to your doctor (or the on-call doc) your specific concerns.

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I think it's just a typo and she meant gauze. I agree with the others though.. blood ketones are easier to test and more reliable, and you should ask about that.

I don't really have much advice, but high BG with ketones and vomiting sets up a scenario that you might not be able to handle on your own. The ketones will keep her vomiting and you need carbs and insulin to bring down the ketones... it's kind of a bit of a catch-22 since you also don't want her going low from too much insulin but you also don't want her BG going too much higher

If she's high and staying high I think you'd be okay giving her a little insulin though.. lack of insulin plus the high BG will cause more ketones, which you really don't want.

Try to get as much fluids into her as you can.

If you don't feel comfortable managing this on your own (which is okay - this is all still very new), I would just take her to the ER. There are certain circumstances where even as an adult I've had to get someone to take me so I can get some IV fluids.

11. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

We just got that one (FREE) from Abbott . I called with questions and told them that I saw there was a rebate program for the Freestyle Meter on the website and asked if they had one for the Precision Xtra. They said no rebate program but they'd ship me one.

Good luck with the sickness. Glad you hadn't bolused before the meal, it stinks when that's the first sign of the illness.

12. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I have not experienced illness yet (my son was just diagnosed 11/30/11) but a mentor of mine gave me some insight on vomiting.

She gives her son a tablespoon of plain gingerale about every 5-10 minutes over a 1-2 hour period (while checking levels frequently). He is able to keep this down since it is such a tiny bit and it helps to keep blood sugar up when he has insulin in his system. Even if he continues to vomit...you will at least be getting carbs in him frequently.