- advertisement -

I need a good nights sleep

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Brideyful, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

I keep saying we're doing good... and during the day I feel Ok with all this. The school nurse is doing great with Owen's D care, and he has adjusted to all the poking and such. He has always thought the BG check is kinda cool (my little science guy) and he wants to do his own shots now so I guide him and push the button. I think it makes him feel in control to do the stick. So he has adjusted very quickly to this(..although he is obsessed with food right now in what I think is a real unhealthy way and he acts as if he is starving all the time.) But, I don't think I have had a good nights sleep since Owen was dx'd 3 weeks ago. I am so tired. I stay up late waiting to test. and then sleep a couple hours, but I am always waking up between 4-5 am and laying in bed just totally overwhelmed by this D thing. That it is is never going to go away...it's not like being on antibiotics and we get to stop after so many days. I don't know what it is about that time of the night. Maybe it's that my whole family is asleep and I am alone with my own thoughts...during the day, you just have to do what you have to do to get through the day. At 4am your just alone...and here is this big overwhelming D. shadowing over me. I am crying as I write this...Does that feeling go away, I just want a good nights sleep.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

The nights amplify all the feelings.:( I am sorry.

I would do anything to get a good night's sleep as well.

It goes in waves. Some days I feel the "tiredness" worse than others. Then when I'm up and everyone is in bed, I feel so annoyed.:rolleyes:

Can you and your companion/DH take turns during the night?

HUGS!!

PS - you know what really peeves me off? the nights my DH has to work the whole night. THAT's when BGs go crazy. Ugh! Not his fault, but why?

3. maha

maha Approved members

Night emphatise the feeling.
    You're human and your son was diagnosed not long ago, 3 weeks.
    This news is a big change in life and it won't go away. It tooks really time to do with it. And it's hard to feel to be so lonely with such a complicated to deal with. The diagnosis is really hard to learn, it was for mum, she cried lots the first months, reproching herself all the things she made wrong so I became Diabetes.

You will manage, you and you're son to find your own way trough D step by step.

The travel in the Diabetes world has some unpredictable side, sometimes hard to deal with but it's great too. I'm more strong that I could have been.

About the food:
    1/ Perhaps he is really starving so it is ok - after diagnosis, body needs time to recover.
    2/ I hope that none have said that cos is D, some foods are forbidden and how the med or nurse have talked about it.
    Well, that's what they said when I was diagnosed at 5 years old and as I was able to understand all, I was a little traumatised by it (my mum too - we had a 1 week stay in hospital learning it and with the regimen proposed she had lost weight) But it was years ago ... when Regimen was part of type 1 treatment as for type 2.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh honey let me give you a big (((hug))) you go ahead and cry:( You are still grieving your sons "perfect" health. See how i put that in quotes? thats cause there is no such thing. I kept a journal during Stevens first year with diabetes. I look at it now and feel such pity for that poor woman that wrote those words. She was so scared and lonely. Slowly but surely she came out of that and you will too I promise .

If you have a husband or significant other you will be able to share testing duties with where one of you tests one night then the next night the other person is "on duty" so that you can start sleeping through the night. When you do wake up just remember that you have the tools to keep Owen healthy and that he will live a long and happy life.

5. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I am almost 4 years into my daughters dx, and it does go away. Not completely, because there are just those days that it hits you out of no where, but it comes to the top of your mind in the middle of the night less and less.
    Starting a journal or a blog, or something similar can really help. You can jot down the crazy little worries that are going through your head. If you post them on CWD you'll find a lot of parents have gone through, or are going through similar things, or have similar thoughts and feelings.
    I meditate when things are so stressful that I am waking up in the middle of the night and contemplating everything on my plate, and it has really helped. Might be something to consider. Someone once suggested a mild sedative to me, but I feel the need to be able to wake reasonably easily in the night if needed, so I chose to not go that route.
    ((hugs)) Hoping you get some rest.

6. Brideyful

Brideyful Approved members

Thanks everyone...I think it was a very bad night when I wrote that. This is so hard right and it doesn't help that things have been tense with the Hubs since dx...I was at the doc by myself the day Owen was Dx'd and I was so overwhelmed. I had to stop at a gas station on the way home not because I needed gas, but because I needed to get out of the car and cry so I wouldn't be crying in front of my kiddo. Then I called my Husband and told him I didn't know how I was going to add this to our lives I am already strectched so thin ( I know...selfish) and he said it would be ok...he would help...anybody want to guess how many shots he's done? How many meals he's planned? How many times he 's talked with the school nurse or gone to a school meeting? His life hasn't changed...not one bit. Mine feels completely changed. Oh well I am the Mama. Another rant...sorry

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Rant away Bridey, that seems to be a common theme in here. But there are some Dads in here that are very involved with their childs d care. I wish mine were one of them:rolleyes: Maybe in time your husband will come to accept this and be more helpful. You deserve that.