advertisement

I know nothing

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Joy Horton, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joy Horton

Joy Horton New Member

Hi Everyone, I'm writing to you with tears flowing. My darling 2 year old great -granddaughter is at the hospital tonight. She was extremely thirsty yesterday and hungry all the time. I live with her, and I said to my granddaughter, you need to call her pediatrician and ask her about this. Well they did a urine today about 1 pm and the doctor called at 5pm and said she has type 1 diabetes and she was going to get her into a children's hospital. She said pack for a week, it will take time to get her stable and learn how to give shots and food education. I am so scared. I am at home with her 9 year old sister who is also scared. I know absolutely nothing about diabetes and I don't know one crab from another. Where do I start? Help this 71 year old great grandma
    Update, spoke with my granddaughter, she said the babies count was 333 and was down to 299 at 11p.m.but they have not be able to get an iv in because she is so dehydrated. She had half a dose of insulin.

2. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I know you must be worried. It is a scary thing and a lot of information to take in. It will take a bit to get her stabilized and teach your granddaughter how to take care of her, but the great thing is that we have awesome technology these days and tons of support online. You can also find many Facebook groups that can help you with information and support. My daughter was 7 when she was diagnosed, but she leaves a normal, active life. She plays competitive soccer, basketball and does swim team. There is not one thing that diabetes keeps her from doing.

You may think you don't know anything now, but it is a quick learning curve.

3. Joy Horton

Joy Horton New Member

Thank you for telling me your story it is very encouraging, makes me feel a lot better. I get to go see her tomorrow and take care of her while her Mom and Dad go to a two hour class the hospital puts on..

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

It's a steep learning curve, but I agree with MEVSmom about how the kids resume their activities and passions. Having support makes a huge difference; it's awesome you're already getting involved.

Someone who used to post here frequently wrote this guide you might find helpful:

https://caregiversguidetotype1diabetes.wordpress.com/

5. Joy Horton

Joy Horton New Member

6. Joy Horton

Joy Horton New Member

MomofSweetOne,
    Thank you so much for your reply, and directing me to this blog. I've just read a little and it's making sense already. My little one is still in the hospital, hopefully she will come home tomorrow or soon. I am determined to help make her life as normal as possible. Once again thank you, Grambo

7. Perkypumper

Perkypumper New Member

The 1st thing to ALWAYS remember, u are not alone! Either is she or ur granddaughter....

I have type 1 also... Was diagnosed in dec 2000... I maintain a positive attitude most days & try to remain upbeat..feel free 2 email me, Perkypumper@gmail.com