- advertisement -

I have such a love/hate relationship with D camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jun 26, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My son went to D camp today, and they do video webcasts, which is totally cool. We got up at 3am to drive him there (6 hour drive) and I'm EXHAUSTED but I just had to stay up to see if I could catch a glimpse of him. Tonight is campfire, with a band and goofy songs, dancing, looks like fun.

I love to see all the excited faces, the cute college counselors helping the younger kids, the teens acting goofy, love to hear the silly songs they adapt (they switch around normal songs and make them funny to the kids, with specific diabetic goofiness), love that they have this time together with others who understand. I LOVE that he is there, that he has this time to just let go and both forget and learn, all at once.

But. I'm sitting here weeping, almost sobbing. I hate that he needs to be there. I hate that he's part of this fraternity that he never asked to be part of. As much as I hate that he was diagnosed as a teen, I hate seeing these really young kids, and knowing they don't even remember anything else. Seeing them in the crowd and it being clear that they know the drill, they know the songs, they know it all, because they've been going for years. It's SUCH a great camp, such a great resource. I just hate that it even needs to exist. I hate that he needs to even understand these silly songs. I hate that he has this disease.

No point to this post. Just feeling conflicted tonight.

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I totally know how you feel. I posted something similar on FB on Thursday. They are part of this club that no one wants to belong to but in a way I am happy that they have found others that "get it" and they are instant friends with because of the common illness.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Hey Nancy - I love that they can laugh at it all. If you can laugh at something, you can conquer it. This is Lauren's 6th year at Sweeney and she loves everything about it. I love it too because it means so much to her. But I still cry when I watch the kids on the podcast, especially when they make cabin circles and sing the closing song (Lean on Me). I just bawl like a baby.

4. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

Hugs :( Mine is going next week for the first time. I am going to be a great big mess too. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

5. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

I was a mess last year too. Hope this year will be better. My conflict was that the prior years she went to camp, and I was prepared to send her to camp, just not THIS camp. But she loved it, and I need the break, and we are looking forward to this year. Hope you can find some time to do something good for yourself this week.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So true!
    I dropped both my girls off yesterday (they go to a camp where you can bring a sibling/friend) and the one thing I noticed was the kids didn't even notice that other kids have diabetes. Now, out in a store, if one of the girls sees a set on a kid, they are like "hey! she has diabetes too!" Yesterday, didn't even register. My non-d daughter loves to go because she likes to be where everyone understands it. She says she can play with her sister and friends without someone staring at her arm, or someone whispering to her, what's that on her arm? As she says, it's great that they can go to a camp and mommy and daddy don't have to worry.

It's sad that our kids have to go to a camp for kids with diabetes (by choice of course), but, I am SO GRATEFUL that there is a place for our kids to go where they can be safe and not feel different from anyone else!

7. samheis

samheis Approved members

I feel the EXACT same way. I just dropped my son off at his first diabetes day camp-I pick him up at 3.
    I'm in awe at how much they are handling. Didn't have to send one single supply. Just a bathing suit and towel, and a lunch. Wow, 4 days where I don't have to be on call, confident that the med staff has it covered.
    But I'm sitting here on edge because he is part of this club, and I can't just relax because D is always in the equation.