- advertisement -

"I have Diabetes, it doesn't have me."

Discussion in 'Teens' started by NoMoreShots, Jul 12, 2011.

1. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

I've heard this many times but I can't say this is true for me. Lately I've been having a really hard time with this disease. Next month will 4 years, and sadly I feel like I haven't accepted Diabetes fully. The first year or 2, I felt sort of in denial..it didn't sink in that I had this life long battle. Now I feel like a emotional roller coaster and I don't know what to do. Family and friends are even noticing that I'm acting different. I guess I'm just angry...angry that I have to deal with this horrible disease for the rest of my life. Thanks for reading my rant and I'll take any suggestions.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Letting diabetes "have" me is part of my solution.

I think redefining myself as a diabetic is easier than trying to be somebody who just so happens to have diabetes.

At some point, I don't remember when, I was really overwhelmed by how many choices I had to make all the time. What to eat, when to eat it, how much insulin to take, when to take it, where to inject, where to poke myself, when to poke myself, whether I should keep going through a hypo or not, aim for higher blood sugar or not, blah blah blah blah. I wanted somebody else to do some of the deciding. Nobody would - not that I would necessarily have trusted them.
    It got better and I don't really feel that way anymore but I'm not sure why not.

P.S. What does "accept diabetes" mean?

3. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

I guess I meant by accepting my diagnosis and moving forward. By not having so many gloomy days..

4. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Going forward sounds good. Fewer gloomy days sounds good too- but a gloomy day here and there doesn't mean you haven't gone forward.

What do you think would help?
    Do you want to have somebody to talk to? You could find a person with diabetes (one of us or somebody in real life or maybe a penpal from the jdrf list), or your endo (or CDE) could probably suggest a therapist.
    You could see diabetes humor or art or songs (I can refer you to examples of all of these).
    You could write a rant or make some diabetes art or humor or songs.
    You could possibly change the way you manage diabetes.
    You could get involved in cure efforts (it might be cathartic- but it could also make you feel worse, so think about it first).
    You could research more about the disease because the known may be less scary than the unknown.

You know you better than we do. By the way, since this hasn't gotten a lot of replies, you might want to try tudiabetes or another site.

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly about diabetes gets you down? Every time I get down, it usually follows a string of high blood sugars and not being able to really DO anything about it. Is it the lack of control? When I feel that way, I have to focus on a part of my life that I DO control, and get involved, if it's a fundraiser for the church, or writing, or singing. I just try not to dwell on diabetes.