- advertisement -

I hate when they make the wrong decision :-(

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jan 9, 2015.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

All signs pointed to a bad site this morning. She rose from the 140's at 11:00pm to 250's this morning, despite a middle of the night correction by me.

As is my "baby steps to independence" philosophy, I posed a couple options to my daughter this morning and let her decide -

(a) change the site (clearly the right choice)
    (b) correction plus temp basal and watch the numbers (an OK choice, particulaly if she hadn't been rising slowly over 8 hours . . . but she had)

Of course, she chose option B and headed off to school.

I get a text at 9:50a.m. "changing my infusion set in the bathroom!!!! I don't feel good!!!!" :blue:

I respond: "oh, you poor thing. If you need anything, please go to the nurse and we'll take it from there (she's nurse phobic) Do you have a ketone meter with you? You should test for ketones"

She responds: "I fixed the problem. The old one's cannula somehow got through the hole in my tape. It wasn't in my body at all"

Now, I have no idea if she's headed to the nurse to check for ketones or what (I doubt she has a ketone meter with her). Luckily she's never had ketones in the almost two years since diagnosis, so she's probably OK, but I'd rather know for sure.

I'm going to text her for a BG update, but will probably not hear from her. I now just get to wait until I get the lunchtime text . . .

I'm hoping that her short sighted decision of this morning will be a "learn by experience" moment and that she will more readily opt to change her site next time.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Mine will do piratically anything to not change a pod that's obviously bad. So annoying.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

BTDT and it really is just a critical step. They have to screw up (a lot) before they start to think things through on their own behalf. Sounds like she's doing exactly the "age appropriate" stuff "-) Hope she comes down nicely and feels ok.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I know that each child is at different levels of maturity/independence at different ages, but your daughter is only 12 and seems to be doing a great job handling her daily management. You sound like you are saying and doing all the right things, which is great on your part. At 12 years old, for her to be doing what she is doing, in my opinion is amazing and I would give her a ton of leeway with her "wrong" decisions.

Hope she feels better soon.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

She made the same decision many of us have made time in and time again. We typically err on the side of treating before changing a site before 3 days too. A quick look at the infusion set might should be on the troubleshooting list next time though - we've been caught with that before too and BOY its frustrating! :)

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Thanks for the support everyone and not chastising me for letting her "fall".

My text of - "is your blood sugar coming down?" at 10:45am was answered with a "Now it is" at 11:15am

BG at lunch was 294 (who knows how high it got, she can rise 100 pts at breakfast WITH the correct dose of insulin). I made her lunch this morning after I saw the dexcom graph and purposefully made it pretty low carb - knowing that she'd probably be high even at lunchtime (10 carb chicken noodle soup instead of a 25 carb sandwich, raw broccoli instead of pretzels, etc). I didn't share that with her - just a little help behind the scenes to make the rest of the day easier.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

In terms of identifying the bad site so early on, you are more skilled than me. I would have chosen option "B" and been wrong. My son's numbers are so darn wonky, the mechanical failures get lost in the BG turbine. She sounds very mature and I'm sorry she had a rough morning.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well done! :)

I don't think there was a "wrong decision" to be made here. You did a great job of presenting her with two options to choose from - both were reasonable. She considered the options and made a decision, and then had a chance to see how that worked out.

There was good learning every step of the way here, and that's what it's all about at this age. :cwds:

9. coni

coni Approved members

I think you both did great! I give my DD options too. She's the same age as your DD. Lately I've not given her options, but instead have asked her what things she could do. Sometime I'm amazed at what she comes up with!

10. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I agree with what others have said that there is not necessarily a "correct" course of action. Often times you make decisions based on your gut or what information you have at the time. I don't necessarily think you let your daughter "fall". An important part of your role as the parent is to teach her the decision making process and the skills needed to manage her diabetes. Often times we need to make the "best effort". We are flooded with information and decisions daily. My son is almost ten. The other day he missed a bolus and his blood sugar was high. He is normally really good about putting in the numbers in the pump to give himself a bolus. Of course we don't like his blood sugar to go that high, but it is something that can be corrected once we realize what is going on. Personally I hold onto the decision making and the site changes. Each parent has to decide where to draw that line.