- advertisement -

I hate this thing.

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Reagan's Mama, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

there's a chance, if I ever get it off of her today that it could be laying in the street outside my house.

I am at my wit's end.

Her sensor was on day 4 yesterday. We have had the last two last 6 and 7 days. I did cals at 1am 8am and noon - pretty typical. It was off all day long. By dinner time it was reading 68 and her meter was 110. Through this time she had arrows so we didn't try to cal again. At bed time reading was 120 and she was in the 200's.

After putting her in bed we got one alarm after another, ending with bad sensor about 2 am. I slept through my 3 o'clock check and didn't wake up until this morning. Thank God she's ok.

And of course, I found myself missing the fact that she had something on her that would alarm me if there was a problem.

What are we doing wrong? Why am I having such bad luck? Is she so truly unstable all the time because of her age that it can't get a great reading? Is there such a thing as a bad sensor or a bad lot of them?

I like the idea of the sensor - I just don't understand why it's not working for us. I figure if all of you love it and I don't then it must be operator error?

Before telling me anything about calling the Minimed nurse, I will say that we are BY FAR the youngest with a sensor and they don't offer us any information. It's sort of like we they don't want to be liable for anything that goes wrong.

2. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Hi Amy,
    So sorry to hear of this. We had a bloody set a couple nights ago and I was just so tired of managing yet another thing. But as you said, while the new sensor was warming up - and it took awhile as we struggled to get a good calibration time - I really really missed having it.

Reagan has been sick, yes? That just has to be compounding things ...

Do you go back to your endo for a follow up? We have ours today - at two weeks. If not, can you ask for one? Or how about the trainer ... not the support line but the MM nurse who trained you? Or PM me and I'll send you the contact info for ours. If she can't help, maybe she can find someone in your area who can.

It seems like someone from MM should help ... maybe with a new transmitter, set of sensors, etc.

And you are not alone with the sleeping through the alarm. I have done that a couple times too and felt soooo badly. But they are always just fine. Remember all of the times you HAVE gotten up and HAVE caught things ... helps put it in context.

3. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Oh no!:(

Anytime a sensor is way off, even after several well timed calibrations it's best to pull it. If it's a bad sensor, or isn't placed well it's just not going to work well and will only continue to drive you nuts!
    If it does this in the first 3 days MM will replace it, but after 72 hours their life span is technically over. It is possible to have a problem with a transmitter and/or a bad sensor, so if you're getting a lot of error alarms call the 800 number and see if they can help you trouble shoot.

My best advice for you right now is to be very careful when you insert the next one. Make sure it's warmed up for at least an hour before you open it, make sure it's deep enough and in a good location, and even leave it turned off for several hours after you insert it so the sensor has a long time to bathe in the IS fluid before it starts sending a signal. Do not use anything on the site but alcohol, (no IV prep) and make sure it's very dry before you insert. Cover it securely with a dressing so it doesn't move around a lot. Make sure the transmitter is fully charged.

Then maybe with the next sensor you can just compile data, and not use the sensor for management. Of course you'll have info on when she's rising and falling, but just completely ignore the numbers and and even turn off the alarms if you need to. Then upload every few days and use the sensor data, combined with the finger sticks you've done, to make insulin adjustments.
    When you can look at the big picture, and the graph of an entire day the info will be much less overwhelming, and can really have a big impact on her control.

Do you have Pumping Insulin, 4th Edition? There's a small section about making pump adjustments with the help of a CGM and it's really great info! It shows what the graph should look like with a correct bolus amount, and how to make basal adjustments based on the graphs.
    You can use this info to help even if you're having trouble with the numbers, and the more stable she gets the better the sensor will be!:cwds:

I really hope you can figure out a way to use it! If you still hate it after a few more attempts and some trouble shooting... return it! I think it has a 90 day return policy, but the sensors are not refundable, so use them and see what you can do before you send the transmitter back.:cwds:

Hang in there!

4. Reagan's Mama

What is the difference in IV 3000 and Tegaderm? Does Tegaderm require a Rx?

We are using IV3000 now, but it keeps coming off. I just got her sensor off and it's terribly bent. I am assuming that it hasn't been in good and that's been our issue.

If I remember correctly, Tegaderm works better?

5. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

In my experience Tegaderm works much better and lasts much longer than the IV3000. I put some IV prep on first, being very careful to avoid the sensor, and it usually sticks great for a week. Emma soaks in a bubble bath every night and it never comes loose, with IV3000 we were replacing it after almost every bath.

You don't need a RX and A plus medical supply carries it, so if you're using them it will be free! It's pretty pricey stuff, so I'd check with them first. I can send you a few so you can try it, just PM me your info if you want it!:)

Emma's sensor usually looks bent when it comes out too, I'm not sure why that is.

6. Reagan's Mama

Thank you so much for the offer. I called A plus and I've got a shipment coming on Monday. They are adding the Tegaderm to it for me.

I requested the sensitive, will that matter with how good it does or doesn't work?

7. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

Is it any better today? Hope so!

8. PattyK

PattyK Approved members

Jake has been on the cgms for a little over 3 weeks and I was ready to pull my hair out after the first 2 weeks the #'s weren't anywhere near accurate-once he was 212 and the sensor said he was 89. I called MM so many times and the pump nurse we were only the 2nd people she had ever put on the sensor so although nice she wasn't very helpful. Finally after inserting 3 sensors in 1 day and being up through the night on the phone to MM 3 times I spoke with 2 nice guys on the help line Amman and Dammian and they figured out that I simply had a bad transmitter. They sent me out a new one and it has been almost a week and we are loving it. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007