- advertisement -

I hate school supply lists!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Mish

Mish Approved members

I am always amazed when I hear of supply lists. We have never, ever, had a list beyond teachers requesting a binder or a notebook or a certain kind of calculator, but I've never had a list that demanded tissues or purell or 72 pencils. If I did, I'd have a serious conversation with someone on the school committee asking them exactly where my tax dollars were going.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I was in Staples the other day and a mother was telling her son that she was going to buy a different item because it was more affordable. The son was expressing to his mom how she had to do what the teacher says, so that he wouldn't get him in trouble.

So sad that both were put in this position. All over pencils.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

What drives me crazier is the bolder and double-underline notice stating that if a brand is specified, that is what is required based on experience, etc....then they misuse half the brand names (Kleenex when they mean any tissues, Zip-Loc when they mean a different brand entirely, some hybridized name for Two different tacky adhesives, etc.) even if I weren't a trademark lawyer, it would make me bonkers.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I refuse to buy anything that is specific...it really irritated me that the list said NO mechanical pencils...I had just bought the, on sale, enough to get the, through the year because they were begging for them. I do not have a problem providing pencils, pens and note books for my kids, however, I would have a huge problem proving for the general population at school. I will not send in tissues, hand sanitizer (except for my kid and her desk) or anything else that is for the community. I have a real problem with schools asking for this stuff. Where are the tax dollars going because its not going to pay the teachers well, and clearly not going for basic supplies, so what are they doing with it. The girls school has never asked for these exrtras...and this year in a new school it was down at the bottom of the list as suggestions, if we wanted to buy them.

5. Beach bum

That's what got me too. IMO, RoseArt crayons are just as good as Crayola, Kleenex just as good as Target brand etc. the only thing I can see where teachers get specific (but not by brand) is no gel pens (make a mess) or the party store pencils with fancy covers (clog sharpeners).
    Other than that, brand shouldn't matter and you buy what you can afford.

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Same thing here. It is so random and most of it goes unused. The folders in every color of the rainbow are the worst as well as the composition books that are never used. Colored pencils as well as crayons for 5th graders? My kids say that the never use the crayons. Complete waste.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I was a little horrified that this year almost EVERYTHING this year went into communal "piles" of supplies. Now, I generally don't care of the tissues and paper towels and ziploc bags go into a big box, since obviously those are intended for all of the students to use, but NOTEBOOKS and composition books are another issue. I spent a little more this year to buy the ones with plastic covers that would hold up past the first 6 weeks of school, and I am darn glad I wrote my child's name all over them with a sharpie (and everything else we brought) before we went to back to school night.

I don't spend hard earned money on my kids' school supplies for them to end up mixed up with someone else's cheap junk supplies... I spent almost $20 on pencils alone for my daughter because her school supply list specified they needed 4 boxes of Ticonderoga pencils, and mine were the ONLY ones I saw go into that box that were the "right" kind and they and I will be pretty PO'd if I find out that my kids aren't using the things I brought for them. Next year I just won't buy *ANY* supplies if that happens and the school is just going to get over it because I'm just plain tired of buying things for everyone else.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

OMG - me too! The list said to put your name on everything so we assumed that everything would be individual like last year. So, I let my daughter pick out cute folders with designs on them, a nice 3 ring binder that won't get ripped up, the nice composition books, etc. Same thing for my son - he got this cool Ninjago pencil box and sports folders, etc. Then we walk in and I see the piles of supplies. I was so mad - and so were they! I told all the teachers that I had picked out and purchased supplies for MY KIDS INDIVIDUALLY and that I hoped that when the time came for using a composition book, that they would get the ones with their names on them returned to them -- same thing with the binder and everything else. They all said it would be no problem and that they just hadn't thought it through - everything was restructured this year and the kids are all changing classes morning and afternoon so instead of the kids taking supplies from one room to the next, the teams thought they could just share supplies. Which is fine if you know that in advance. You cannot spring that on a parent/child after the fact because it completely affects what you buy for supplies. I feel like such a whiner since they are just school supplies, but I just can't stand it!!

9. Beach bum

I don't mind communal supplies of some things, but for everyday materials that are expected to come to class with the student...no way. My girls have complained of kids who always seem to get away with not bringing anything to class (not due to financial difficulties, but pure laziness and not caring), that's not right. I can see a pencil here and there, fine, ask each kid to bring in 5, but other than that...nope, not gonna happen.

And seriously, if a school is going to do communal, then take it out of the school budget and buy the same thing across the board. Find some way to raise the $$$...

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

In elementary it was all communal except I think maybe binders. If your kid wanted special pencils or whatnot we sent them separate and she kept them. I'm pretty sure we knew ahead this was the case.

I just don't get where all the stuff goes that's not disposable. Like scissors and erasers. In elementary I bought 6 pairs of scissors and never got one back.

My Mom was a kindergarten teacher for decades. Every year at the end of school she'd go through all the boxes of crayons and weed out the broken ones. Mix/match them up so they were full sets again then buy however many extras were needed. Same with scissors look through make sure they were all working, replace as needed. I'd be much happier if we could just donate a Staples card to the teacher giving them the means to replace what needs to be replaced from the previous year. It seems so wasteful.

11. Beach bum

First day of school.
    Note comes home from one of the teachers (who was on the school supply list):
    You don't need to get any supplies. I have a community closet that kids will share from.:confused: Yet, my kids said they did not have to give her anything...

So, I purchased (and took out of my stash) supplies that were specific to this teachers requests and they don't even need them now. She could have at least alerted her kids to this prior to everyone going out and purchasing. Oh well, that stuff is going back into the stash box.

12. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Can I add excessive printing to the school supplies list? Last night was 60 pages for Economics. This is going to be like chemistry where by the end of the year she had printed two 2 1/2 binders of materials. Ink is costly.

13. mamattorney

Since someone resurrected a 2011 thread today, I just thought I'd resurrect this one. I saw that Target had some school supplies in its weekly ad today and that prompted me (I know I shouldn't have done it) to go to the school website to see if the lists had been posted. They had. . . and I looked at them . . and let's just say simply - I HATE SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS. Last year our elementary school went to this two teacher system for 2nd to 5th grade (one teacher for literacy/social studies and one for Math/Science) and now I get the privilege of purchasing two of at least half of every school supply since the supplies will stay in their respective classrooms, including 2 pairs of ear buds. Are you kidding me? The only things that will travel are one folder and a flash drive. Ugh.

[​IMG]

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Those lists are insane! Specifying pencil brands? They need a solid pencil case that can carry that stuff between classes. And 4 glue sticks + 1 large glue stick? I don't think I've used that much glue in my life! Why do they need sneakers for literacy? Something must have changed from how that was taught when I was in school! And what is Steam?

Each time I tried to type glue I typed glucose by accident.

15. mamattorney

Lol. The gym shoes are for gym, that's not the aggravating part. They divvy up the "specials" between the two classes (one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.). Literacy gets gym every day, STEAM gets art 2x/week, music 2x/week and library science 1x/week. STEAM is 21st Century education acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math. If you ask me, what they need is to bring back single teacher classrooms. The school wasn't built for every child to have multiple teachers like a jr. high or high school (ie with lockers to keep their things). It's a regular elementary school where children are expected to keep their things in their desks, but with two children sharing each desk, they can't do that anymore. So we as parents apparently get to buy two of virtually everything to make up for physical plant issues. I think it was the ear buds that put me over the edge. They can't bring a pair of headphones from class to class?

Of course as the school supply lemming I am, I'll buy it all so my child will be "prepared" and then just grumble to myself about the ridiculousness of it all.

16. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

The lists are a pain. I end up sending in so much on non-schoolish stuff like zip lock bags :p It gets expensive with dry erase markers and clip boards, white boards, whatever!

We are asked to buy crazy amounts of pencils too but at least that is something I know they use every day! My kids probably break them in half on a regular so they might burn through that many, lol. I know public schools can't do it but really - when the lists are so specific as to what they want it would be easier to just ask the kids to send in $25 and the teacher could order bulk supplies and get exactly what she wanted.

I have four kids and end up buying 8 pair of shoes at the beginning of the year. One to wear and one for PE. The kicker is that the PE shoes can't leave skid marks so the cheapo's don't work so I end up spending way to much money on shoes that are only worn a few hours a week during PE. Make them do PE outside or bear foot :p