- advertisement -

I hate messing up!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by danielsmom, Jul 28, 2011.

1. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Daniel ran from me because he didn't want his Lantus shot....so finally after 15 minutes or so he gave in.... I hate going through this....well for once it didn't hurt, but damn I pinched some of the insulin out since I was still pinching the thigh when I pulled the needle out.., so now I may lose sleep, crap.. I hate it when I mess up..

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Awe, you are SO new to this, don't beat yourself up. (((HUGS))) I remember the trauma from the Lantus. It really did make a HUGE difference when we switched to Levimir.
    Hang in there.

3. Kyra's Mom

Kyra's Mom Approved members

Kyra hates the Lantus too and she use to run and hide under her bed. Now I set the timer for 5 minutes to let her mentally prepare for the injection and we use a cold spoon to numb the area before. I don't know if it is mental thing or if this actually works but this has helped her be more cooperative with getting the Lantus each night. I hate making a mistake also it is so frustrating when you finally get them to work with you and then something goes wrong!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Shirley, that's not a mess up:cwds: Forgetting the lantus altogether or giving humolog instead of lantus now THATS a mess up!:eek: We all make mistakes along the way, heck, I still do:rolleyes: But that's how we learn a better or different way for next time. Let your son know that the sooner you get the shot done, the quicker he can get back to that TV show he was watching or the game he was involved in. Steven usually watches TV while I do his lantus shot or plays with his Nintendo DS. Gives him something to keep his mind off of the shot

5. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

My most memorable "mess up" was a couple months ago at almost 2 years since dx...i gave lantus instead of Novolog for a meal... he'd already gotten his Lantus for the morning, needless to say I didnt sleep much that night and his Novolog for they day was drastically reduced. Dont beat yourself up, it happens to us all and you got some of it in so thats more then forgetting completely ((hugs))

When we did Lantus I let Aeden pinch where it was going, the more control he feels he has the easier it is for him.

6. Lize

Lize Approved members

Would it not help if you let him do the shots himself (with you right there next to him)? When my DD was on MDI (she was also diagnosed at age 10), she gave herself :eek:shots. I only gave 2 in total! That gave her "control" and she never complained - except that the Levimur burned a bit, but she was even okay with that.

7. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My Daniel used to cry with Lantus when we did MDI, too, until our nice CDE recommended always doing the Lantus in the butt. She said it will burn other places and for some reason I do not remember, won't in the butt. Worked like a charm...he never complained about it again.

I agree...that's not a mess up, so don't feel so bad!;):cwds: For the third time this month (after NEVER doing it before), I forgot to bolus my son at breakfast this am.:eek: Hello 307!:( Remembered after an hour...my mind is shot. My FIL is facing the end after having a stroke last month. Sometimes, stress from other things just interfere with D thinking. You are still stressed from dx, I'm sure, so go easy on yourself.:cwds:

8. danielsmom

Son will not let me give him shot on butt. He's too embarrassed....Son will not give himself shots, he doesn't want to deal with that yet...

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Shirley, would he allow a shot in the buttocks if he could keep his pants mostly all the way up. They would only have to be down enough for you to access the upper, outer quadrant. He would look like a plumber kind of :) (my apologies to plumber;) )

10. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Upper hip area sometimes works. Let him practice injecting oranges and stuff (don't eat them after if you use insulin! :p) until he decides himself to try a shot himself.

You simply have to learn, in my opinion, to accept imperfection in this game. You're moving the ball down the field, it's what we do all day every day. You will burn completely out if you don't build in margins.

So what's important is not to get the perfect lantus shot in every time. What's important is to be able to roll with it when the shot is imperfect. Be able to predict possible difficulties that might arise, learn how to track it and adapt if one does. There are options in diabetes care, the more you learn the bigger your toolbox. Injections cannot be a certainty every time -- there is the near miss, the near hit, the hit and miss, the miss and hit, the leakback, the did-it-leak-back-?, the old lantus, the forgotten lantus, the mistimed lantus, the lantus and a bath (was it too hot!?), the lantus and the trampoline, the lantus and the car ride for four days. . . . . you do your level best to get a good outcome, then if you have reason to think something might be wiggy (which happens probably 30% of the time during good times) you watch and adjust.

The lack of control in this disease has been one of the hardest things for me to deal with. I want to be able to follow directions and give a good shot (or now a good site) every time. But I learned early on that I can't control that part to the level I'd like. So instead I've focused on being flexible enough and widely understanding enough that I can think on my feet, and that gives me a sense of power because it gives me a feeling of competence. But think flow chart, not directions in a set of bullets!

I'm sorry your son is so upset, I wish I had some good advice for you but that is so specific to the age of the child, the personality of the child, and the way the family deals with life in general. Shots hurt. Pump insertions hurt. Lantus hurts. Finger sticks hurt. Highs feel bad. Lows feel bad. We can mitigate and sympathize, but it the end there's no getting around it, it's the burden our kids carry. :(

11. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

He'll get over that eventually and before you know it, it will just be a part of everyday life. Like BeckyStevensMom said, let him keep his pants mostly all the way up so he doesn't feel too embarrassed. My son was 10 when diagnosed last year, would NOT let me near his booty. Now he lets me give the shots in the booty with his pants/boxers only pulled down a few inches. And afterward he leaves his boxers down that little bit and says "I feel a draft, does anyone else feel a draft in here?"

12. danielsmom

My boy has always been so private about his privates LOL..at the hospital sick as he was...he would sit up to pee in the container.. I had to kick the nurse out, I had to close the curtains..I had to turn my back....geesh...we're working on the booty thing...

13. MamaBear

Same here. My boy is still pretty private about his Diabetes, and last year at this time we were new to it, and he had a very very hard time with it. He was good about giving himself shots and checking, but emotionally he struggled so much. It is much better now though. Hang in there. It seems so overwhelming now I know, but you will get the hang of it.

14. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Lol this gave me a chuckle:D. I told my son this and he was cracking up:D

15. MamaBear

I actually love when he does that. Our house has always been filled with laughter and his sense of humor in regards to the butt shots, tells me how far he has come in just a year. :D