- advertisement -

I got a phone call from a friend tonight

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kyleesmom, Dec 31, 2009.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

A few days ago her daughter was taken to the hospital because of a seizure. The little girl is 4 and was laying on the floor watching a movie while her mom was in another room. The mom heard the little girl vomiting and ran in and found her convulsing. They called the ambulance, which didnt arrive after 10 minutes and the little girl was still seizing, so they took her in themselves. She passed out right after they got to the hospital and was unresponsize. The seizure lasted over 20 minutes and didnt stop after Ativan. She had a fever of 104.6 so they did a spinal tap, which came back clear. They did some blood work and found she had a really high white cell count, but still havent found a source of infection and the cultures didnt grow anything. They did find that she had a blood sugar of 196 which the doctor was concerned with and at a follow up yesterday they did a finger stick and she was 120 something, so they are going to check her out. The womans sister was diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and had seizures as a child so they are following up with that too. They drew some blood today for an a1c, but wont have the results until next week. They have to go back on Wednesday for a follow up and will do an OGTT then. Until then they have told them to limit her carbs and sugar and watch for signs of a problem. The doctors told them they were hesitant to call it a typical febrile seizure because it wasnt typical so until all else is ruled out, they arent really calling it anything. Can a seizure make blood sugar spike? What is the point in limiting sugar and carbs before the test? I dont know if they do things differently prior to diagnosis than after, but I know we have always been told not to limit the carbs because results wont be accurate.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I don't know most of the answers, but both a fever and a seizure can make blood sugar spike.

High fevers are the most common cause of seizures in really small children.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I have a friend whose daughter is 3 and had a febrile seizure last month due to a quick spike in fever (over the course of 2 hours she went up like 4-5 degrees). I would imagine that high BG is due to the fever and the seizure

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I've seen too many dx'd while in the hopsital for another illness (adults too) and in fact it is "normal" to have leevated bg when sick.

I hope they figure out what is wrong with that poor girl!!

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, a seizure can cause a blood sugar to spike. My Mother had an allergic reaction over a year ago and her blood sugar shot to 200 plus, but once they took care of the cause of the allergic reaction her blood sugars returned to normal, so it is possible. I think it is because of the adrenalin rush that happens with things like seizures or severe allergic reactions, etc.

6. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I have no answers only to say that hopefully its just a bad viral infection and she is well soon..poor child..how scary for all..

7. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Seizure

They probably want to limit carbs and sugar just in case she DOES have type 1 - they don't want her going into DKA. But as other posters have noted, she may not have Type 1. Poor thing. Poor mother. It's so hard not to know what's wrong with your child.

8. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I have no idea what could be wrong. But do want to say that I hope that little girl is feeling better soon and the drs find out what caused the seizure.