- advertisement -

I give up! (Dexcom sensor fail)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Nov 2, 2013.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We went on Wednesday and had Dexcom training with our CDE. She put on the first one, it failed yesterday afternoon. Called, Dexcom is replacing it, no issues.
    Put a new one on last night, followed same procedure as CDE did, it looked secure. It just failed.

What are we doing wrong? My DS doesn't have oily skin, we are using all the preparation/precaution tips we have received, yet they are still failing.

I'm open to any/all suggestions. I'm also wondering if I call Dexcom again if they're going to replace again so soon.

Thanks!

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

By failing do you mean falling off?

If so, I would suggest opsite tape. I just fold a piece of it in half and cut a square out. Then I place it over the sensor with the cut out hole over the transmitter. It holds for about 10 days. Then I trim the edges that are starting to come up and stick another piece on top. I can get another week that way.

Also, call dexcom. I am sure they will replace the sensor.

3. sincity2003

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The first one fell off.
    The one tonight, we had question marks for about 30 minutes and then we checked it and it said "Sensor failed" on the screen. It was still attached to his body.

We were given Tegaderm at the endo's office, but I will also try the opsite tape.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

"Failing" how?

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Was the transmitter fully snapped in? How lean was the area you placed the sensor?

I have had issues with ??? but I only ever got "sensor failed" once when the transmitter had come loose. In general if I can find an area where I can "pinch up" while inserting the sensor I can avoid prolonged ???.

Sorry you are having problems. Please don't give up. The dexcom is a truly amazing tool once you get it working :cwds:

6. sincity2003

Failing as in, the first sensor fell off and this second sensor gave us ??? for 30 minutes and then the "sensor failed" message appeared on the screen.

We're using his stomach, which the CDE suggested. He doesn't have much fat, but he's got a little roll there that seemed to be a good spot.

I really won't give up. I just feel like a failure at these devices these days.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

On the second, I'd guess that you didn't get the transmitter snapped in fully. It takes a good bit of pressure but once it's ion, it's in.

Hope you have better luck with the next one and can get those first two replaced.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The transmitter could be defective, but I agree to check the transmitter to be sure it's fully snapped in.

The entire area of application needs to be cleaned thoroughly with alcohol to remove oils. Also be sure that he is stretching the stomach area (like doing a little bit of a backbend) when applying the sensor. The adhesive can compress, but if stretched, it will pop right off.

Our sensors would come off in about 2 days if not taped. Here is how we tape the sensor using Opsite Flexifix:
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=74320

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

You need to hear "CLICK CLICK" to make sure the transmitter is securely attached to the sensor. The transmitter needs to be thoroughly cleaned with alcohol pads = the 2 metal spots on theback. Try not to allow the 2 hours equilibration time be during a big spike and fall. Make sure your sensors are not expired. Use only alcohol wipes for skin prep.

10. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

This may sound weird, but even after the CDE went over it with us, I learned more from youtube videos than from her. She doesn't have d, doesn't have a kid with d and isn't a rep for Dexcom so has had little training herself...so the videos showed me, and my son, how to do place a sensor with confidence.
    Maybe check out a few and see if there is a minor step either she or you have forgotten.
    Also, we can't get a stomach site in Isaac as he doesn't the space for it and most docs/CDE's say to do them there as that is where CGM's have been approved for...but we get more days out of back of the arm and then the second best site for him is the upper bum.
    HTH :)

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Did you stop the first sensor and not start it until after the new one was inserted?

12. sincity2003

Our CDE has an 11 year old with Type 1 who uses Dexcom which is why we asked her to do our training.
    We did turn the other one off before starting the new one. There was about a 6 hour timeframe between the one falling off and the new one going on as well.
    We did have him do the stretch thing this morning because that was a suggestion from our CDE when I talked to her this morning.
    I ordered the Opsite so we will definitely be giving that a try.
    Thank you everybody! We really want this to work :)

13. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We have had SO many sensors fall off after four days I was regretting moving to the G4. But we seem to have finally gotten the hang of it.
    I wipe the entire area with a wet cloth, then dry. I then wipe it all with alcohol wipes and let it dry. Then I put an old sensor that has the adhesive removed on the spot I want to insert. I wipe all around that with skintac. Remove the sensor after carefully lining up the new one so that I won't be inserting through the skintac. Get it inserted, then put IV3000 around it the same way Darryl does. It seems to work better for us than Hypafix, since it isn't cloth. It doesn't let any water get in when he showers.
    I also wrapped his arm in plastic wrap before his last shower ;) then took it off after.
    Good luck! I'm sure you will get your own method that works great for you and this will be just a memory. :)

14. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My first few insertions were a bit haphazard. It's kind a a weird trick getting the transmitter to snap in. It took a few times for me to kinda get it.

We also use the oposite in the same way Meg does. We've been getting 10-14 days out of most sensors.

15. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I would suggest maybe trying a different area for insertion too. I know that is where most CDEs recommend it because that is where it is FDA approved for, but for us the stomach has been the spot we have had the worst luck with. The first one we put on there fell off after 20 minutes, the other one after a couple of hours.

we have had really good luck with the back of the arms, the top of the bum and I think I'm going to try the thighs next.

I think for some people some spots just work better than others and you just have to try and see what works for you. Good luck :)

16. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I was also going to suggest YouTube videos, we learned from those too. We don't have any trouble at all getting them to stay on. My husband and daughter both wear them, but I did watch a BUNCH of YouTube vids before we ever tried it on our own. You have to look to see if they sensor is snapped in on both sides.

I really like Diabetic Danica's videos if you are looking for a place to start, but there are plenty of good ones out there.

Good luck. I'm sorry it's giving you trouble. We seldom have to add any extra tape or adhesive at all, it just stays on its own. Once it a while I'll do a little touch up on one edge that's coming loose. When I do I dab a little skin tac on there, but really, that's hardly ever.

I really hope you can get it to work out. We are so happy with ours.

My husband's endocrinologist was completely converted. My husband asked for him to prescribe one, after he saw how much information my daughter was getting from hers. The endo agreed, but he didn't think it would matter too much. After 14 years of diabetes, that was always in pretty good control, only 4 months with a Dexcom, and my husband's A1c dropped by .9 The endo was completely convinced.

My husband says it's all because of the feedback he gets from the Dexcom that he never had before.

Once again, good luck.

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I strongly urge you to call Dexcom any time you have a sensor issue of any kind within the 7 day period. Even if it's two in a day. I am 99.9% sure they will replace. THEY want this to work as much as YOU do.

We have had more issues than anyone I know, and they have NEVER refused to replace, and we actually have a CS rep (who is also a CDE and a G4 user) who checks in periodically to see how we're progressing.

18. sincity2003

Just a quick update: I called Dexcom today and the lady was so nice, and yes, they are replacing the second one. We went through a bunch of suggestions/tips and she said if another one fails, no matter how many times it happens, to please call them and they will replace it and offer suggestions/tips to make it work.

Last night was the first night that I put my trust in it to try to sneak in a couple extra hours sleep. It alarmed at 1230 that he was low, which would be the time I'd check him anyway, so while I didn't get more sleep, I am more confident in what it can/can't do.

And again, I can't say enough good things about their customer service. I was completely ready for them to say no, we just replaced one on Friday (which, by the way, arrived today -- it was sent overnight, which wasn't expected either).