- advertisement -

I gave up on the Verio IQ

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coeen, Apr 8, 2013.

1. coeen

coeen Approved members

So I tried the Verio IQ glucose meter. My insurance cut my Freestyle strips so I had to try a new kind. The Verio required more blood and sometimes two or three strips just to get a reading. That ment two or three pokes to get enough blood. Ughh. The Freestyle gave me extra time to add more blood. He is only 4 and the less pokes the better. Then I got the new Contour Next link free so I tried that too. Liked it, less blood, neat little device. It seemed to always be off by 30-50 points then my Freestyle. Hmmmm. I am going to keep the Freestyle. I will pay for the strips. Consumer Reports rates the Freestyle second best. I think the first one CR liked was Accucheck Aviva.
    Oh well. Whatever works for you. Just my ramblings today since I am home with a sick 4 year old. :rolleyes:

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Hope your little guy feels better soon.

I thought the Verio was ok, but I didn't like having to charge the battery, and we can't use it at school, so I gave it up, too.

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

We love ours. My son was the main reason we switched from the Freestyle integrated with the PDM. I have had a few failures to load blood but just not many. I think it uses just about the same amount or, I should say, the amount we get from a finger stick is way more than we need for both. I have found it to be more accurate based on comparison as well as looking at control solutions. I love the light at night.

I don't like that the strips ship blood application up instead of the other way around.

It will be interesting to see if our A1c comes down since it was reliably 20 points higher than the PDM.

4. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

My son really loves his Verio, and the light at night is definitely a plus too. We had the OneTouch Ultra Smart before and we had the worst luck with those test strips. Like Swellman stated previously, my one major pet peeve is that the strips ship with the application side up. I'm always afraid that if my hands aren't completely clean and dry, it'll mess with the readings somehow. I'm sorry you had issues with your Verio. Everyone has different preferences though, so when you find one that works, stick with it.

5. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We are pretty devoted to the Freestyle Lite for my 4 year old, too. Insurance stopped covering the strips, so we experimented for about 6 months and settled on the Aviva (though we missed the small sample and light). Miraculously, though, insurance picked Freestyle back up 4 months after we had to make the switch, so we are back where we want to be!

I will say, though, that the Freestyle consistently reads lower than all of the other meters we tried (including the Verio, Contour Next Link, Aviva, and Ultra Mini--in side-by-side comparison). I suspect it is a Freestyle issue, and not a problem with the other meters. I'm still okay with using the Freestyle, though, as it is always within the approved range. I just don't panic quite as much with a low reading, and I am a bit more aggressive in treating highs.

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I love the verio... just trying to get my stupid insurance to cover it=( they think I'm trying to get both types and so now they are saying they wont cover any... sigh=/

7. shannong

shannong Approved members

We love the Freestyle. It requires so little blood, and I like how you can just kind of rub the strip all over the finger and don't have to be precise about getting the blood to fill the end of a strip. We almost never get error messages with the Freestyle (unlike other meters).

The only thing I don't like about the Freestyle is the lancet that comes with it. We swapped it out for the Delica which my DS likes way more.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

Oddly, when we changed insurance at the first of the year we found out that the Freestyle was Tier 3 and our 1100 would cost a bit. Verio IQ is Tier 1 and cost us $10 for the 1100. Since my son wanted to change I was more than happy.