- advertisement -

I found a new way to beat the pizza spike..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Nov 15, 2010.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It seems that if I drink alcohol and eat pizza at the same time, I don't get the spike 6-12 hours afterwards.. in fact, I need an 85% temp basal (i.e. a basal reduction of 15%). I'm not talking about vast amounts of alcohol here.. like 2-3 small glasses of wine.

(Alcohol is legal here from 16 with a meal, btw. I'm not promoting illegal activities. :p)

Obviously I'm not promoting that you should all feed your kids wine along with their pizza... but I just thought it was cool. :D

2. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

Interesting. I just wonder why that is?

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, alcohol inhibits some glucose production by the liver, and there's a theory that the reason pizza causes "fat spikes" is because it causes the liver to produce more glucose. So I guess the alcohol's inhibition of glucose production could somehow counteract that.. because the liver is busy dealing with the alcohol?

4. suz

suz Approved members

I wonder if I was to enjoy a glass or two of wine along with pizza whether DS would avoid a spike? Gotta be worth a try at least once or twice ... or more! :p

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Haha! :p Sounds like a win-win situation to me. ;) Be sure to report your results back so other people can have a go.

He might still spike.. but if you drink enough, you might not worry about it as much. :eek:

6. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My son prefers beer with his pizza. JUST KIDDING. He prefers hot wings.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well what other things keep the liver busy besides alcohol???

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Uhm.. Paracetamol? Possibly not a good idea to feed the kids up on that, either. ;) I think the liver has to deal with a lot of toxins.. none of which are probably altogether safe.

9. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I've noticed that as well (first discovered it a couple years ago)... pizza, Mexican, Chinese... any of those eaten side by side with beer, wine, or a well calculated margarita... no spike!

10. buggle

buggle Approved members

Well, if we all move to France, we can let our kids have a small glass of wine with dinner without being arrested. ;)

11. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

That's really interesting! Of course it doesn't help our small kids NOW, but in the future it could be a good tool! Thanks for sharing! :)

12. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I think advil also is processed in the liver. But anything that keeps the liver busy is working it hard.

It's good to know about alcohol though--alcohol can cause lows later on which ppl really need to be aware of, esp kids going off to college. So I'm not surprised it would keep bs down after pizza. What's good to know though is that, conversely, pizza helps keep bs up despite some alcohol. That's good to know for ppl who do drink--that they should have a fatty meal if they are drinking to help keep bs up long term, since the liquor lows tend to happen later on in the night.

btw, liquer lows are not what happen when you wake up with a hangover on a frat house couch. :p

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

And you could visit me!!! :D

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It's like that over here.. you can drink alcohol in the home from the age of I think five..

I love Europe. :D

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Disclaimer: Not every European lets their kids drink alcohol so young.;)

16. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No, I daresay most Europeans wouldn't feed their 5 year old a pint of beer with their dinner. :p But where I am, most people I know were introduced to alcohol (just a sip of something their parents are drinking) from a fairly young age.