- advertisement -

I forgot to tell you guys! Jason hit a 12 BG last month!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MamaChrissa, Oct 6, 2009.

1. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Yes, a 12!!!!! :( :eek:

We still don't know exactly what happened. We had a usual, albeit high carb dinner. 1 cup spaghetti w/ butter and 3 smallish pieces of Italian bread. He bolused for it, about 50g, an educated guess, but on the low side IMHO. 20 minutes later he asked for a donut, which was a definite 29g (DD chocolate frosted). He bolused for that too. 20 minutes after that he was throwing a tantrum over a video game, which is not uncommon. DH sent him to his room to calm down, as is customary. Not 5 minutes later he came out, literally staggering and collapsed. Fortunately DH caught him. I check his BG and its 12!!!!!!!!!! I was speechless and nearly fainted on the spot.

Im usually very good in a crisis, but this time I nearly lost it. Glucagon, nowhere to be found, I begin rifling through the cabinets looking for the cake icing. Nope...so I grab some baking sugar I bought for Halloween. It is, of course, black. I shove a handful in his mouth. He swallows some and spits some out. Not a great choice I realize now, but it got him to react. At this point DH is talking to him and telling him to stay awake, as he is semi conscious. DH sits down with him and starts dribbling Pepsi into his mouth while I go call EMS.

EMS arrives and he is now conscious and drinking the Pepsi independently. They look him over and give him some oral glucose, which he hates and I retest him. 45. We decide to go in to the ER just to be safe. Of course we look ridiculous. He has a black stain all over his face and I have on on my hand. We get more than a few weird looks. By the time we get there, he is up to 60. They call my Endo who gives me new lower stats for his pump and says we can go when he hits over 120.

When J hears this, and realizes that he will not be getting a dreaded IV he is thrilled. He pulls out his DS throws one leg over the side of the gurney and instructors me to test him whenever I want. :rolleyes:

He has been fine since, although running higher than his OCD mom likes. The Endo isn't sure what happened, but we are now back on the Dexcom and are keeping a close eye on his trends. I never, ever want to see a 12 again! :(

2. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

(((((((((((Chrissa)))))))))))

Scary!!! I am so glad he is ok!

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Thats scary.. what meter do you use that showed you a 12? I thought they all said LO for anything under 20..

glad everything turned out ok!

4. madde

madde Approved members

Sooooo glad he is ok.

OMG!! How compelety terrifying!!!

Sounds like he handled it like a trooper. I'm sure after hearing no IV., he was
    all grins.

Now for you, it will probably take forever to relax again. But, you handled it great.:) Running him higher for a few days, is OK!:)

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Yikes!!! That was my question also....which meter shows below 20?
    Glad he's doing OK now.

6. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Its an Accu-check Aviva. I actually took a pic of it too. (DH thought I was bats!) The pic is on my laptop, so I will post the pic later. :)

Thanks everyone. I found some new grey hairs recently. Im blaming this experience! :rolleyes:

7. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Ha, I blame ALL my grey hairs on my kids and tell them I've EARNED every one of them... then I proceed to meet with my bff L'Oreal. ;)

8. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

In the infamous words of Chris Farley, "Holy Shnikees!!"

Sounds to me like you did just fine, and the proof is in the pudding! He's just fine. Well done mom & dad!

9. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

Yikes!How scary! I'm glad everything turned out all right.

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

OMG!!
    Have you figured out what hapened?
    I would be concerned that maybe the pump gave too much insulin--have you had it checked out?

So glad you were able to to get some sugar in to him, even if it was black!! Did you take pics of the black face too??