- advertisement -

I Feel Like I'm Just Waiting... Always Waiting...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SandiT, May 24, 2013.

1. Jo Momma

Jo Momma New Member

Multiple Daily Injections (MDI)

Hi, we just switched to MDI with Levemir as basal and NovoRapid for meals/snacks over a certain amount and it has added so much freedom from the NPH handcuffs we were in before. Trying to make a 2 year old eat when we want and what we want is an exercise in futility and I wish we'd switched to it sooner. Carb counting is a must for it though but there's many books and apps that help with that. Plus kids do like the same foods over and over again so we made a sheet with his normal foods and amounts with carbs (helped in the learning process too). I find there's less waiting and worrying about timing of snacks/meals. If he doesn't eat it's fine and if he eats too much it's fine. There's still the possibility of lows but that's a diabetes reality I'm learning. MDI is a great choice if you're like me and not ready/sure about a pump.
    Take care of yourself! Definitely have one other person (at least) who knows the regime and can test so you can take that walk or sleep without one ear and eye open. My hubby does the late and middle of the night tests as he can fall back asleep easy. Most times I'm awake too and ask the number but not always being the ONE helps.

2. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Personally I would check to see if there is a JDRF chapter event nearby or a "family camp" for type 1 kids her age.

Camp is an awesome way for them to see others just like them who often feel similar feelings. She can see all the fun there is while learning a little more about D. It always sounds more interesting from someone else then from mom or dad!