- advertisement -

'I don't want to take diabetes with me on this trip. I want it to be perfect.'

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Barbzzz, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex is going on a school field trip this Friday, so she was making a list of things she's got to do to get ready. This is her list...

[FONT=&quot]Excursion table [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Wake up.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Make my bed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pray.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Brush.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Shower.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Get dressed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]7.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Eat.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pack.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]9.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Check to see.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]10.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Go to Kakum and Elmina castle.[/FONT]

Okay, what is wrong with that picture? :rolleyes: So, I says to her, "Alex pretend that this is a normal day and list how we do things... don't you pee, check your sugar, take your Lantus?"

Her (angry :mad:) response -- "I don't want to take my diabetes with me on this trip. I want it to be perfect. Not like last year when you ruined it." :( Yes, I ruined it. I wouldn't let her go. :(

I wish I could keep her diabetes home with me. :(

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

:(

so hard...

I really hope she has an easy "D" day for the field trip. :cwds:

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

:(:( Oh gosh! Very hard to hear!

Don't really know what to tell you. But sending you HUGS!

D is like an annoying house-guest who overstays its welcome.:rolleyes:

4. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

<<<<<<< big hugs for you both!!!>>>>>>>>

5. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Barb, so sorry ((HUGS)). I hope this field trip is PERFECT for her and she has a great time; even though she has to bring D along.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

thats so sad and heartbreaking. :(

I hope she goes and enjoys the trip.. maybe you can give her a challenge and tell her that SHE is going to tell diabetes to BACK OFF today, take charge and don't let it be bossy.. SHE'S going to tell it how to behave.. give her some power..

I hope she has a blast and D doesn't rear its ugliness.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Aww, the title alone was enough to make me tear up. Then the whole post got my tears flowing. Poor baby.

Let's all join to pray that she is victorious over diabetes that day! She can learn that even if she has to bring diabetes with her she can have a kick-butt life.

8. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yeah Im blubbering here too:( A damn faucet lately! I hope her trip IS perfect and diabetes can just come along for the ride if it must but better be on its best behavior!

9. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Yeah, that is a sucker punch to the gut. Oh, if only we could let the d stay home on special days like this. Hugs to you and Alex. :cwds:

I hope d behaves and Alex can have a fantastic day!

10. Toni

Toni Banned

That is sad. I see nothing wrong with her list though, and would not have reminded her about the Lantus, checking blood sugar as that is a job I would be doing. I would let her forget about D when she is home. She need not think about this; only checking her sugar when she is away from home and keeping sugar in her pockets. Sounds like she needs to think about D less.

11. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I'm sitting here with tears strolling down my cheeks as I read this post. I do hope D stays in the background as allows Alex to have a wonderful field trip.

12. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Oh, I don't blame Alex for feeling that way. It would be nice if we could all take diabetes and get rid of it. I am sure that was hard to hear. Give Alex and yourself a big (((HUG))) from me.

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Thanks, everyone. She and her brother left early this morning (separate buses, though) and headed out for their field trip. I gave her probably too many D-related instructions :eek:, but the last one was the one that I'm pretty certain she'll remember: Have fun! :)

Meanwhile, I'm home hoping that all goes well for both of them and that it is the "perfect" trip that Alex wants (and deserves). They won't be home until nearly 8:00 pm our time (that's 3:00 pm EST), so in between, I'm clock watching, praying, biting my nails, worrying... You get the picture. :rolleyes:

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Fingers crossed here too! Hope it's an easy D-day and if she crosses that bridge, we want pictures!!!:D

Let us know how things went :cwds:

15. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I am still reeling that they wont let you go with her...

She will be great..have faith in her..she knows that you are trusting her..and I dont think she will let you or herself down...xoxoxoxo

16. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

Sounds like it's time for good some good quality mommy/daughter time after the field trip. I hope Alex has a great time. Hold your head up. I'm sorry Barb, I know what Alex said hurts deeply. She was not trying to hurt you in anyway.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I know this will be a great day for Alex.. SHE wants to have fun, so she's going to have fun!!

Can't wait for the update later today!

18. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I hope it is everything Alex wants it to be. I also hope the day will go fast for you. :cwds:

Looking forward to hearing how it went.