- advertisement -

I don't understand this--can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tymaxtess, Feb 20, 2007.

1. tymaxtess

tymaxtess Approved members

Y'all know Tessa's story. She does not have a diagnosis yet. She continues to have high bg numbers after meals, but has always had pretty normal fasting numbers 90-100. Lately, however, her fasting numbers are pretty low. Saturday morn 77, Sunday morning 71, and now this morning 69. Doesn't that 69 sound really low?

Any ideas about what is going on with her? Is this just plain normal or is this another sign that her pancreas is acting erratically? I have read sooo much on hyperglycemia, but I feel very ignorant about whether that 69 number is within the range or normal or another thing that isn't right? She does have a cold with a fever right now--could that be playing a part in all of this? She seems to be sick all the time lately...

2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

That is not an unusual fasting number, and with the 20% margin of error on the meter it may actually be in the low 70's which is perfectly normal.

We get scared with numbers below 70 because our children's bodies can't stop the drop and they will keep going lower until they're in danger. The difference is the insulin we're injecting. If you're not on insulin a BG of 69 may be considered very mild hypoglycemia, but is not dangerous. If she starts dropping into the low 60's or 50's I'd be concerned and call her pedi.

I would mention it to you endo at you follow up apt., you're taking her log of blood sugars right?

3. Emmasmommy

Emmasmommy Approved members

I was told by our endocrin that people that gont have D it is normal for them to have fasting sugars in the 3.6-4 range (46-70) he also doesnt get to upset when Emma has a lot of 3.6 as long as I treat it because as i said before that could be a "normal" sugar for a none D

Good Luck

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

For a child who does not have diabetes, readings in the 60s or 70s is not considered low.

When on insulin, readings in this area are a concern because the child could go even lower.

5. tymaxtess

Yep--I've got a log. I probably should just leave it alone and not worry, but I am a worrier. And since she has this cold, I am even more diligent (or crazy!). I just am trying to get a handle on what her pancreas is doing. She has such big ranges and I think that most people's pancreas' keep levels fairly stable, right? She is 69 now, but after she eats she will jump to 180+ and the other day she was 215 after eating. I know mine is usually about 90 fasting and even after eating I only go to about 110.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

how long after she's eating are you taking those readings? I wouldn't worry to much about the lower numbers, as others have said for a chlid not on insulin that is a normal number..

I know how you feel about worring, I'm worring about my older daughter who's had some erratic numbers lately (but nothing over 120) just 'higher' for her..

I do hope you get this sorted out soon!

7. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Hypoglycemics tend to have BG issues. One of my aunt's has been hypo all of her life, if she eats anything too high in carbs, she spikes and crashes later on(same with my twin sister). They control it with diet. They eat small meals and snacks through out the day, avoid anything with large carbs that absorb quickly(like pasta and pizza). They both water down juices and only drink diet sodas, for the most part though they drink water or flavored seltzer water. When a non-D is sick, especially kids, the body needs more fuel for the fire, which results in more insulin in the system to burn the fuel to create more energy. A cold will usually mess with BGs, just like it will with bloodpressure in certain people. I wouldn't worry about a 69, though I would push fluids and make sure she is drinking plenty even with the lower numbers.

8. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Like the others said, a b/g of 60 and below is hypo for a person not on insulin. Plus you have got a 20% error that could happen. That could be as much as 12 points. That is one of the big reasons people on insulin are to stay above a certain number that is usually higher then 60. Also because we are forcasters when we give insulin. We have to take an educated guess based on many factors what our kids will do with the insulin we give them. Will it go normal like it does 70% of the time, or is there another factor like sports from earlier in the day that are effecting them, by giving them that bigger berth in B/G we can treat before they are truely hypo and avoid a bad low. They can drop so fast, insulin is so strong for a lot of our little ones.

I am not sure why the doctors you are seeing are blowing the numbers you've seen off. When Julia was dx'd they didn't even run an A1C as it is NOT a means of dx. It can be a helpful tool, but I really believe they are being a bit hastey.

I hope you can find some answer. Jamie

9. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My sons Endo told us that in the very beginning stages of diabetes, the first thing go go bad is the 2 hour number (after meals), the fasting is not the first problem (I am talking about type 1)......My cousins diabetes was caught very early with the only numbers being effects were the after meal numbers...as the diabetes progressed then everything else went downhill......

shannon

10. madde

madde Approved members

Hello,

I agree with all the above posts.

I have been following your posts, but don't remember if you mentioned rather or not she is showing any other "typical" diabetes symptoms, such as
    excess thirst & urination. Some other symptoms could be blurry vision, weight loss, increased appetite, moodiness.

How long has she been having these erratic blood sugar readings? Have you asked the diabetes team on this website what they think?

I pray that it turns out not to be diabetes. Please keep updating.

Take care!

11. tymaxtess

She is thirstier and goes to the bathroom much more than my boys, but I wouldn't call it excessive. She has had days where I got concerned (hence the original checking of her urine and bg in the dr. office), but nothing that has lasted.

She does have something weird going on with her vision, but she is only 4 so she can't describe it well. She just opens her eyes wider than usual and blinks alot and says her eyes feel "droopy". When I asked her if she meant "blurry" she said yes, but I was leading her, KWIM?

She has maybe lost a pound--but scale differences make that hard to prove.

She has a yeast infection right now and has had an ear infection, strep throat, and now this cold since Oct. of last year.

She has definitely had the moodiness--there have been mornings that she has been soooo sensitive and easily upset and had major separation anxiety at school and daycare that I started to check her bg during the "episodes"--it was always at least over 160 when I see this (usually over 180 though).

The past few days we have had readings (after meals-1 to 2 hours) of 233, 215, and 222.

ETA: This has been going on since late October of 2006. So about 3 1/2 months now. I have asked the diabetes team and currently have a question in but am waiting for a response. I will let y'all know!

12. madde

madde Approved members

Thanks for your reply,

I noticed that she is 4 years old. My daughter is now 7 and was diagnosed when she was 4 1/2 years old. Remembering back to about 3 years old I noticed she started using the bathroom more often than usual. I assumed it was because she had a small bladder.

Also, the year prior to diagnosis she was always sick too. Actually 3 months before diagnosis she ran a fever of 105 for 7 days. She was in the hospital for a week, the doctors never did know what caused the fever. They all
    thought she had kawasaki disease. I think that the immune response had become stronger at that point causing the fever. (just my analysis)

I think with your case only time will tell. If she starts using the bathroom often during the night or shows alot of other typical diabetes symptoms I would take her to the ER.

These symptoms, (with my experience) came on quite suddenly within weeks. She was getting up at night to use the bathroom about 3-4 times a night for about 3 days before she was diagnosed. Drinkin water like crazy. I kept telling her to quit drinking so much because that was causing her to go the bathroom all of the time. I would catch her drinking water from the bathroom sink.

Anyway, my point is, the strong symptoms are very noticeable when you know what your looking for. Your are doing the right thing on keeping yourself so educated on the whole thing.

You will know if it is developing into type 1 diabetes. I hope not, but I just wanted to give some insight on my personal experience with Madison since she was 4 at diagnosis.

I hope something helped. By the way, did her yeast infection clear up? If so, that is a good sign.

Take care.

13. tymaxtess

Thanks Elizabeth. It sucks to be waiting and wondering, but I also know that we are so lucky right now that her pancreas is still working--even if it seems erratic! :)