- advertisement -

I can't. Gain. Weight.

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by emm142, Apr 8, 2009.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

So, at my last endo appointment I'd lost 10lbs from last time (123 down to 113, making me a bit underweight) and since then I've been trying real hard to get that back up and it's NOT working. I've lost another 3lbs. ): I'm eating like 260 carbs a day (healthyish ones) and I just keep losing... I'm losing about half a pound a day for the most part, and that adds up! I don't want to have something wrong with me, so I really don't wanna get it checked out... My insulin needs are decreasing too, and it's really bothering me. Can you guys just pray that I gain something soon, because I'm so sick of all this food!

2. Jordan

Jordan Approved members

oh my, that's scary !
    Hopefully you get your weight up soon!

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Have you been tested for celiac and hyperthyroid?

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything is okay. :cwds:

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Emma -
    Can we trade metabolisms for a few weeks? Then you can gain some weight, and I can lose some... (I'm not insanely overweight or anything, but I could definitely lose some pounds, and they're just not going away with exercise and eating less and much better)

6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I'm kinda the same. I'm 5'4" and stuck at 103 pounds. I haven't been losing, but I can't put on either. My suggestion is to go crazy with the easter eggs this easter :p

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, the endo ran them when she saw that I was losing. I haven't got the results back yet, though. I don't think it's hyperthyroid, because I was only tested for that 6 months ago.

Thanks guys! I'll try to eat lots of easter eggs. xP I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so I expect I'll eat lots of chocolate etc. :)

8. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Wow, that's scary. I hope everything works out. Losing weight quickly can lead to bone density loss, which would definetly not be a good thing. :( I'll keep you in my thoughts, and send some good vibes your way. :cwds:

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Good news! I just got back from vacation and I only lost half a pound in a week! :D I ate like 300g carbs a day though!! Perhaps I just need to eat more than I thought. Like a lot more. :p Hopefully it's stablilising a little bit.

10. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

ugh, that stinks. i have the opposite problem, i have to watch what i eat really carefully or else i gain like crazy. and once it's on it won't come off! i hope you have good luck gaining!

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I am having a similar problem- down 20 pounds since August and stuffing myself all the time. I'm having my gallbladder out next week, and it's possible that that's the problem, but the endo and surgeon don't think so. My celiac antibodies were fine as of June, so that's probably not the issue, and today I had my thyroid function checked, and I'll have the results Monday.
    I'd suggest that at your next Dr's appt, ask for celiac and thyroid to be tested for. Another thing- do not weigh yourself frequently. It will just make you neurotic about what you eat. People who are trying to lose weight are advised not to do that- people who are trying to gain should also follow that advice.

12. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

It's very possible. My friend Kelli was like 105 lbs and 22-23...she weighed less than me. She had her gallbladder out, and gained quite a bit...like she had to let out her wedding dress more than they expected.

13. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Well, my problem just got explained. The pre-op bloodwork shows hyperthyroid. That will do it! My endo says he's pretty sure that that explains the weight loss.
    Not sure yet about treatment, endo and surgeon and radiologist are conferring (I also have liver inflammation and blockage, the gallbladder inflammation and stones, polycythemia, adrenal hyperplasia, and of course diabetes).

14. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

ugh, that stinks! i hope they get something worked out for you:)

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just thought I'd update this - I've gained 4.5lbs!! I'm so pleased! :D

I have to say, my saviour here has been yogurt. On average I'm getting 70-80 carbs per day from yogurt (wow, that looks like a lot when I write it..), it's great on my BG and well.. I haven't been feeling that great and it's easier to make myself eat than most food. I have yogurt for breakfast and all snacks throughout the day. I'm practically a yogurt obsessive - it works though! :]

Hopefully I'll be looking a bit less boney by prom. I'm going dress shopping tomorrow!