- advertisement -

I cant find decent childcare for my son

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by momofphoenix, Jul 25, 2007.

1. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

My son was dx'ed with t1 diabetes almost 4 years ago and my husband joined the Marine Corp 3 1/2 years ago before my husband joined the Marine Corp I would work nights and my husband worked days and when there was a layover from the times I went to work and my husband got home my mom would watch my son. Well now we live 1300 miles away from my parents and I have not been able to work. I live on a military base, but thier childcare here is not equiped to care for my son. I have tried to do home childcare but it didnt work out. I need to work not only to help support the family but for my own sanity, but the childcare issues are a huge problem. My son's wellbeing is more important to me then working and that is why I have been home for the past 3 years. I just really need to get out and work.

Has anyone else had these same problems and how did you get them to work out?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

What about their childcare "isn't equipped"? Is it that they aren't willing to get trained or something else? Your son is 7 - are there things you can train HIM to do to take the burden off the childcare center?

Just wanted to offer some ideas. I'm fortunate that I'm home with my kids but I also can't leave my child during a meal with anyone either because no one is trained up to take care of her.

3. momofphoenix

He does his own fingersticks but other then that he is not mature enough to do injections I am looking into getting him a pump since the childcare center will take him then.
    They are not trained to care for him and to get the training (the director is all for getting trained)they have to go through the Military Commander and they said not to hold my breath......
    thanks for the reply, I love being home with my son but when school is going he is there all day and my hubby is at work I am here with my cats :( I would like some adult conversation time (besides my husband) and to make some extra money so we can start an account for my son (for future needs)
    Where in VA are you?? I am up in Quantico.... I havent met anyone else who's child has D

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I am in Loudoun County - just west of Fairfax County - near Dulles Airport.

There is a Yahoo group for NoVa parents of diabetes. I'll PM you with the group address. Maybe someone there has some experiences that can help you.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

The NVADM list is a great yahoo group - I'm on it too as are many near the Washington, DC area.

Your child is 7 yrs old so he is in school right? So the issue is after-school care? Could another stay-at-home parent pick up your child and be taught how to care for him until you got home from work? I realize in the summer you have more time to cover.

6. momofphoenix

Yes he is going into the 2nd grade. We just moved here about 2 months ago and went on leave for a month after we got here so we havent really met anyone yet. But as far as the child care it would be after school care for about an hour or two, my husband gets off work by 430 everyday so if I found a job that was from 8-5 my husband would pick him up by 430 and school gets out at 240 so it wouldnt even be for 2 hours a day. It is just very frustrating for me since I havent been able to work a "normal" job in 3 years. When we were in South Carolina I worked nights from 7pm-4am get home at 5am get my son off to school at 7am and sleep from 8-12 I just got burned out from lack of sleep and the stress of him in school (not a good school for special needs) that I had to quit.

Thanks for the replys I really appreciate them...

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Try going to http://childfun.com and go to the message boards and ask. It is a board for childcare providers from all over the nation. It may not be care on base but you may find an inhome provider that could do a very good and loving job of caring for your son.

8. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I know what your going through I'm also in the same position. The childcare centers here will take him but they wont do ANY injection of any sort. Even though my son is not school aged yet I would contact his new school and ask if they have any other diabetic kids in their school and maybe they could find a way to put you in contact with the parents of those kids maybe one of them stays at home and would care for your child. I dont know if the 504 plan is in effect for the after school care thats offered through the school (it should be if its on school grounds) see if you can go that route.

9. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

Since he would only be there for an hour or so is it necessary for them to do an injection of insulin? Couldn't he check with the nurse before leaving school, get checked, corrected if needed , snack if needed etc. Then go to childcare for an hour or two. I don't see why that would be an issue. Glucagon would need to be trained but it isn't often that it is needed, usually glucose tabs, gel or even smarties could be given. I just don't understand the issue here.

Also military families as of July 07 are getting approval of the CGMS with Tricare Prime so that should be a big help. Get him on the pump and get the CGMS, but definately even with shots the CGMS should be covered. Get the doctor to write a letter of medical necessity, a script and submit 2 months worth of sugar readings. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Is there a reason why he is not on the pump yet? Brandon went on the pump when we realized he would not have a nurse at school... just a health clerk. He does all his own bolusing, carbs are clearly listed and he just puts everything in, the health clerk looks at it, confirms everything is correct and viola, done.

Then when your kids are out either you take time off or your husband requests leave.

10. momofphoenix

Thanks for the responses, and the info on tricare and how to get the CGMS :D .
    He isnt on the pump because his first endo wanted us to learn the injections first (fine by us :D) his second endo refused to put kids on the pump period his new endo we have only seen once (last month) and said they wanted to get him started on the "Correction factor" first (same as the pump regiment but with injections) we were doing a sliding scale with a carb ratio, I guess that is "old school" now lol but to wait till our next appt. and see how things go then we will talk about the pump (I guess it is ok but I hate to wait for things period expecially for Phoenix)

The child care issue, that is just a bad deal right now, my husband went to his command and told them it is a hardship on our family since his pay is the only money and it is just enough to cover what we need and our bills but not much else. His command is trying to get the training for the school age center here on base but havent heard anything yet. And as for the home care out in town that would be fine but they wouldnt be able to get on base (easily) to get him from his school, he attends a DOD school and I wont take him out since it is a great school acidemic whise and medicaly As far as after school and injections he wouldnt need any it would only be if he was there for a full day (days off school) they do have a child there with t1 but he is on the pump and they said they cant take my son till they get the training. It is really irritating, I did talk with one lady who said she will give it a "try" but if she isnt comfortable she will drop him without any notice and that would leave me in the same spot I am in now job offers with no childcare
    thanks for all the replys

How is the CGMS when kids are in school the nurse at the hospital said that it go's off all the time so it would interupt the class.... is that true?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  11. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Hailey's does not go off all of the time. The only time it goes off is if there is a reason it needs to and she needs to be checked anyway. Now if you have your lows set at 70 and highs at 150 then yes it is going to go off all of the time. We have low alarm set at 100 and high alarm set at 350. The low is higher in case it is a rapid drop and the high higher because of the postmeal spike we fight right now. I am so sorry you are going through this :(

12. momofphoenix

Thanks for the reply, I will get a hold of the clinic again and explain my reasons for wanting this for him again :mad: Hopefully this week will be different then last week :D
    (crossing my fingers)

13. Krystle

Krystle New Member

I've just heard of a new website called specialsitters.com and it's trying to create an online network to connect parents and babysitters for children with special needs. I am a college student in California with Type 1 and I already babysit for a few families with Type 1 that I've met through my local diabetes camp.

I myself just signed up as a sitter on specialsitters.com but the site is so new that they aren't taking parent's info yet....hopefully that'll me soon so I can meet some more families in my area looking for sitters!

Hope this might help you some?

14. momofphoenix

Thanks for the info that is very interesting and such a NICE site!!! I hope people in my area hear of it and I can find a sitter.....

15. zanl11

zanl11 New Member

i know exactly what you are going through. my daughter is six (diagnosed at age 2) and i have always had care with family members only. she is home-schooled. i just graduated from a bsn in nursing program and need to go to work. would be no biggie but my husband has just been offered a great job in sc (we live in tn). i am afraid we cant make it work, because i need to work 2-3 days a week. i cant count on the fact that our work schedules will accomodate. i have no idea what to do. i am terrified of leaving her with anyone i dont know or a strange facility. i have no idea what we will do. arggg.