- advertisement -

I can't believe this...My nurse prac...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carseatmama, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Carseatmama

Carseatmama Approved members

I was telling her about the Trial Net study and how my middle child test posiive for the autoantibodies and that she has a 70% chance of dev. D. She told me too watch her diet and sweets..because the sweets will cause D..:eek: WHY don't these "Medical Professionals" know about Type one????? She is the one that sent us to Iowa City when Kadie was Dx. I just don't get it. I was so dumn founded that I couldn't speak or set her straight. Should I send her some info on type 1??

2. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Oh, that's so scary. What do they teach them in school????

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh no! I would expect quite a bit more from someone in the nursing profession. I think you should send info about type 1 d. I dont want people thinking that our kids got d because they ate too many sweets. If thats what caused it I'd have it myself by now

4. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Oh brother. Are we really asking for too much by expecting medical professionals to have a clue? I had a recent similar experience, when, after I mentioned my dd had been diagnosed with t1D, my NP said something about how I have to take good care of myself or I'll get diabetes, too. She did make some passing mention of how "I know they're not the same," but the connection was close enough in her head that she thought it worth saying out loud. *sigh* I let it slide, because I wasn't in a fighting mood, but it sure did irritate me.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

I would nicely send her something. "You know, I came across our extra copy of the pink panther book and thought you might to take a look at it."

6. carcha

carcha Approved members

Health professionals are sometimes shocking in their lack of knowledge/compassion. When I took my daughter to get a flu shot last month, she flinched when the doctor injected her with the vaccine. The doctor made a face and said to her "THAT makes you flinch? This should be nothing for someone like you, who gets shots every day. How are you going to handle this for the rest of your life if a little flu shot bothers you?"

7. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

augh how frustrating..don't get me started..it appears that they lump diabetes types all in one

8. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Hopefully someday there will be a cure for diabetes . . . you can cure ignorance! :)

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I think the cure for ignorance is education. I know it is frustrating when people don't "get it", whether it is family, strangers or even medically trained professionals (scary). I consider it one of my obligations of living with this disease to educate as many people as I can about the realities of diabetes. I would rather spend my energy doing that than getting mad because someone doesn't understand. Before August 17th I could have easily been one of those people saying something ignorant, because I did not understand all that goes into living with this illness. That said, I think it is great that people can come here and vent their frustrations when they encounter these types of situations. :cwds:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I agree. Those kind of statements are so unnerving. They make me so mad. And when it is doctors who should know better, it is even worse. Foods do not cause diabetes. It it was that easy, then no one would eat the food that caused diabetes, then there would be no diabetes. I just love how the uninformed try to simplify such a complex disease.