- advertisement -

I can't believe I'm asking this...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

All of a sudden we are having a lot of unexplained, stubborn lows. Does anyone see this in their child prior to getting sick? Historically, my daughter always runs high, so this is new.

My other thought is we are on a new pump and the delivery on it is slower, making the absorption, IMO, much better. So obviously another thing to look at would be to do some tweaking if it continues past today.

Nothing new in her routine. Any other thoughts?

2. coni

coni Approved members

Uh, she has diabetes? That's my guess. Lol. Not being snarky, just totally understand wanting an explanation. Sometimes my DD runs lower when I think she's fighting a bug. Frequently she doesn't get sick but her classmates do, so I assume she's fighting something, but really, it's just a guess. More and more if I don't have a obvious cause, I just treat or adjust and move on. Good luck!

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have a few days of lows before getting sick and going high. If the lows happen to coincide with the new pump I would also be inclined to take a look at the pump. It may be possible the calibration between the 2 pumps is slightly different. In theory it shouldn't be but then there is real life. If your pump has several different basal programs, "Patterns" on a Medtronic, set up a new basal program to keep her level right now and if she does get sick you can swap back to the old program later.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My vote is new pump. On T:Slim, my DD's TDD is about 80 units, when on OmniPod, it's about 20% higher. We saw it when we switched and when she uses it as a back-up. Micro-dosing makes a huge difference for her.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Wendy, your DD is about 13? I know that we see lows the week of her cycle which coming on the heels of tricky highs the week before always seem to catch us off guard. Could it maybe be hormones?

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Nope. That was the cause of last weeks highs!

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm thinking pump as well. Our basals dropped across the board when my son switched from Omnipod to t:Slim.

As a side note, his A1C also dropped over 1 whole point in 3 months as well. :smile: