- advertisement -

I bought a new laptop

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Treysmom, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I have Norton antivirus. What else do your recommend ?

2. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

The only advice I can give you is try not to get too carried away installing anti this and anti that programs because having too many of these programs running in the background the moment the computer boots up can bring even the latest and fastest computer to a crawl.

I used Norton AV for years but got discouraged by it lately because I had to buy a yearly subscription fee in order to get virus definition updates. Earlier versions of Norton AV didn't do this but those versions wont work on my latest computer and I don't think Norton provides support for those earlier versions anyhow. I've since decided to use the free AV software provided by my DSL provider which also detects spy/adware but doesn't seem to slow my computer down as much as Norton did. I can't say whether it's as effective at detecting a virus as Norton may be but so far the only gripe I have about it is that it takes longer to scan my computer than Norton did. My DSL provider also has free Cybersitter type programs to choose from as well.

Being you've already purchased Norton AV, go ahead and use it but you might want to investigate the free AV software your DSL or cable provider offers when it comes time to renew your Norton AV subscription.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We have Kaspersky Internet Security.

4. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

I did'nt buy the Norton yet. I have 60 days for free. I don't have a clue what programs I need for security. I am willing to change.

5. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

My DH works with computers for a living and he highly recommends (the free downloads of:)

-SPYBOT

as well as

-AD-AWARE

I run these programs daily on my computer and it still finds amazing amount of junk!!!!

6. ScottB

ScottB Approved members

What you need depends on how paranoid you are and NO I don't mean that as an insult:) Seriously though, there are people who have so much protective software installed that it makes it seem as though their computer was Fort Knox and all that software brings their computer to a crawl because it is filtering every single piece of data all the time. I'm assuming you have DSL or cable for your internet provider and if so, I can almost guarantee your internet provider has free AV software available for you to choose from. If they do and you're not sure what you need, don't be shy and give your internet provider a call or email and ask them what they feel you need. In the meantime, go ahead and use the free 60 day Norton trial until you've made your choice.

I'm not a big fan of free security programs (free programs in general) other than what my internet provider has because sometimes those free anti-spyware programs are spyware themselves, they simply keep their competitors out of your computer however I have used the free programs Marisa mentioned and I feel they don't fit into that category and are safe to use.

If you're new computer is using a pre-installed operating system, don't be surprised if the AV and anti-spyware program you choose finds that your new computer is packed full of spy/adware. When I first installed Norton and Spybot on my HP computer, both programs went nuts finding all sorts of garbage and this was after a fresh install of my operating system using the "rescue" discs HP provided.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008