- advertisement -

I AM tired, I am NOT hungry!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mama2H, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Sorry for the OT but I need some insight. Can someone please help me make this stop! In the last few months this terrible "habit" has gotten out of control. I now find myself standing in the kitchen every 1 to 2 hours from midnight until 5 am eating something. A handful of cereal, a slice of bread, a cookie, seems like whatever is handy :( I don't even realize that I am doing it until I start chewing. I am exhausted and cannot figure out how to make it stop. I think it started when Hailey was dx and I would get a bite to eat while waiting for a low to come up or a high to come down. I am going nuts with this. Is anyone else dealing with this? Is there a way to make it stop? It is sabotaging my weight loss goals. I really think if I could stop this I could get that last 15 off but as long as I am stuffing my mouth in the middle of the night I don't think it is going to happen. We don't have a lot of junk in the house and when I do I try to put it someone that is difficult to get to at night but I always seem to find it. I literally wake up sick to my stomach in the morning :( We have the cgms fairly under control, I can trust it 100% overnight, so unless I am up with alarms there is no reason I should not be able to go to bed at night and stay there until it is time to get up. I am so so tired :(

2. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

It is emotional eating, and I have done it for the past 5 years..

I would find myself doing this as well so what I did was I would buy celery. Then when I found myself standing in the kitchen I would force myself to grab a celery stick, the longest one I could find and munch on it..

You would have to eat tons of celery to gain weight, and I finally got to the point where I was sick of celery and I stopped my habit of going and looking for food late at night.

You have taken the first step by openly admitting that you do this, this is a huge step toward change. The next step is to get celery and only eat it when you feel like munching on something..

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

how about try just drinking a glass of water? I'm not much of a help - eating in the middle of the night makes me want to throw up. But I do find I grab water when I'm awake.

Or, if you know you're going to snack - maybe have a preselected snack - carrots or fruit (though I'd be worried that a sugar boost would keep you awake)

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I only do this when I actually wake up to check Jess.

If you wake up and dont have to get out of bed, then dont. Just lay there forcing yourself not to get out of bed.

My problem is if there is oreo or whatever sitting on the counter, I will stop and grab one on my way back to bed. We have a pantry so I make sure everything that is "grab and eat" stuff is in there before I go to bed. We have a lock on the pantry do, so I always lock it and take the key out of the kitchen. I am too lazy at 3 am to go get the key, and I am too lazy to acutally cook me something at that time of day too.

I hope you can figure out a way to stop and it works for you. Goodluck!!

5. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Thanks :eek: Unfortunatly I never know when I am doing it until I have already started :( I think you are right Teddi, there is probably a huge emotional factor behind this...

6. KeltonsMom

I turned to food to try to make myself feel better, all it did was make my waistline expand and make me feel worse about myself..It is a hard habit to break..I was told that the best way to break a bad habit was to replace the bad one with a good habit..During the day when I get the urge to eat something even after I have eaten a meal, I force myself to clean something or go outside and walk around the yard. A nice big glass of ice water sure hits the spot as well, plus it fills you up so you don't have to eat.

I started this bad habit after Kelton was dx'ed, I was single and had zero help from anyone and zero emotional support from my friends, they didn't *get it* I was so alone and I turned to food for comfort..Donuts became my best friend and my worst enemy.

Take little steps, and before you reach for food with carbs in it, try to think about why you are doing it..This is hard to do, but once you figure out the emotional trigger then you can overcome it..

We are all here for you, whenever you need to vent, plus we "get it":)

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

If you can't force yourself to stay in bed, how about getting something warm and soothing, like a cup of tea. Supposedly this new Celestial Seasonings tea -- a newer version of Sleepy Time with added valerian root will make you incredibly sleepy.

I don't usually find myself eating, because we have dinner late and there's rarely anything snackable around our house -- but I do stay up super late, no matter how tired I am and I'm always dragging. Maybe I'll try the tea too. I know it's an emotional thing of trying to unwind from so much worry and stress, but it just makes it worse in the end.

I hope you can get some rest. If you can, it'll probably change your whole outlook and you'll feel so much better. I know it's true for me too.

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Thanks guys :eek: The thing is, I am asleep until after I have already started eating. I am not explaining this very well. It is like I am sleep walking and wake up and realize I have already eaten half a bowl of cereal, then I feel sick to my stomach and head back to bed...

9. KeltonsMom

Oh okay..Got it..this is stress, and not enough quality sleep..

Let me think and see if I can help you come up with a solution..If this were happening to me I might be inclined to lock the cabinets..Or put obstacles in the way to the kitchen, so I would have to totally wake up to get there.

You might want to consider talking to your doctor about it, if it were happening to me I would..Honestly I would talk to a doctor about it, and hopefully they would have a solution.

10. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

You talk about locking cabinets or putting things in the way to the kitchen. What about getting some alarms. Dollar General sells them pack of 5 for $5.00. They mount with sticky tape. I've used them for Dalee who gets into everything. This has saved my sanity, when the alarm goes off she knows she should not be in the cabinet. She also knows mom can hear it, there pretty loud. Maybe a audio reminder might help?

Anyway, just thinking out loud for you.

11. KeltonsMom

What is the name of these alarms?

12. MReinhardt

I dont have the packaging, but its something called "Window, Door alarms" something to that affect.

There are two pieces to the alarm, the alarm and the contact bar. Let me tell you they work great.

Teddi and/or Nicole if you want a demo audio call me. Its pretty loud.

13. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Too bad I couldn't find something that would just give me a electric jolt :eek: I am afraid if I used alarms I would wake Bella, then not only would I be up Bella would think it was time to start the day :rolleyes:

14. MReinhardt

Maybe Home Depot or Lowes or what ever hardware store you have in your area, might have some quiter alarms. Something that would just go "ding dong" Not that I am calling you a ding dong. Just something softer.

15. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

((HUGS)) I understand too well:eek:

I hope you are able to see someone about it, maybe your doc? Sounds like you're on automatic pilot (being tired, getting no breaks, not enough sleep), and just need to refocus a bit. Maybe the doc can help you.

16. KeltonsMom

I can come spend a week with you and bring a cattle prod..J/K..

Get double sided tape and attach thumbtacks to it and then place this on the cabinets..When you go to open the cabinet you will get poked and there will be no alarm, unless you scream in pain..

I have the double sided tape things on my cabinets to keep the kittens from going in and making a mess out of everything..I am now looking at getting the door alarms, and I do not care if I hear the alarm, because I will know that I am on my way to winning the cat in the cabinet battle.

17. KeltonsMom

I agree..To me you sound like you are under a HUGE amount of stress and not enough sleep, I wish there was a way I could help you but I am too far away..I would come help you if I were closer..:cwds:

18. MReinhardt

If you can't find the alarms in your area, let me know and I will check our dollar general again and see if they still have them. I know of a friend who bought 5 pks because their kids kept getting into the cabinets and ruined everything in them. Since using the alarms, kids can't stand to hear the noise, so they stay out.

19. KeltonsMom

I just called all the dollar stores here in town and they do not have them, but I did find some on Ebay, a 4 pack for $3.00 with $4.95 shipping :rolleyes: Pay more for shipping than what the alarms cost..

20. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I can't give you an immediate response, but a friend of mine went through this after she and her husband split up. She would wake up and find herself eating in the middle of the night. She started putting on a little weight, and couldn't get it off because she was continually eating during the night. She has always been on some sort of mood stabilizers, but she did get something that specifically stopped the "night feedings" (I think). I'm not sure what it is offhand, but I can email her and ask.

I'm sure that no matter how well you THINK you are handling D, there is always a part of you that is not dealing with it very well.