advertisement

Hypothyroid & diabetes

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by Sweetkidmom, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Tiny

Tiny Approved members

I found this very interesting I asked my doctor this question when I found out I had hypothyroid if I could end up with diabetes since my dad had it my grandparents on my dad's side. My father was the oldest of ten kid, they all have diabetes. My aunt who is the youngest found out the same week my daughter was in the hospital for type 1.Here i was worried about myself getting diabetes and my daughter ends up with it. And my doctor still tells me I won't get diabetes. i don't see how that could be true because i just found out there is diabetes on my mother side that was never told to me.I already have seizures that no one in the family has. Till I found out my couzin a few years older then me has it to and that is on my mothers side.It is weird how you find things out after the fact. makes you wonder were was the information. Tiny

2. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

My son had two previous automimmune diseases prior to dx: Autoimmune Neutropenia and Ulcerative Colitis. He was on Prednisone for 5 years and may explain the diabetes- Type 1. I had gestational diabetes with him. He had back to back strep throats and within a month was diagnosed with T1. Immune system is very weak.

My DD has just been tested for Hashimotos disease. She has the antibodies for it ( I guess that means she may or may not get it) but does not have it now. She has a lot of hormonal problems at 15.

Our third child, DD, was adopted and is very healthy. She thinks she doesn't get enough attention because she is so healthy! We get a lot of phantom illnesses with her. :rolleyes:

3. Mad Maz & Ecstatic Emma

Mad Maz & Ecstatic Emma Approved members

interesting

my nan has underactive thyroid, my mum got it when she was 23 - i got type 1 when i was 2yrs then when i was about 4 i got it as well - my mum got told that it does go hand in hand & is hereditary.

i know one thing - it really sucks lol - talk about energy zapping & feeling like a radiator most of the time lol :)

4. skimom

skimom Approved members

WHen my son was diagnosed , there was a long time spent getting family histories etc. THe questions of autoimmune diseases in the family was asked - my mom has lupus(affects pancreas and thyroid), uncle with MS, dad with Parkinsons,mother in law with RA - when I asked why they would ask , the response was that if you have an autoimmune history in your family , then you are at a higher risk of getting an autoimmune disease including T1.
    i did some internett research and there are some doctors working out of
    Australia that have indicated that there is a relationship between lupus and Type 1.
    My kids endo has said there is a genetic link . By the way , 2 of my 3 kids have type 1 now (interestingly enough they are the only family members with the same blood type....)

5. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

I have hypothyroidism, dx between son #2 and son #3 (11 years apart). Really took exceptional care of myself when pregnant with #3, breast fed until he was two, not sickly during infancy or toddler. Did not miss a day of school in 2007 until May, out with the flu...dx with D 8/13/2007. He may have been predisposed to autoimmune and the illness kicked it in to drive. This is my theory as we have 0 family history of T1.

6. Miss Champers

Miss Champers Approved members

My son aged 12 has type 1, my mum has hypothyroidism and pernicious aneamia and my auntie also had overactive thyroid.

7. Mymeagan

Mymeagan Approved members

I have hypothyroidism too and before I got pregnant I asked if it could affect my baby and I was told if I took my synthroid all would be okay. I would not give up Meagan for anything, but I might have reconsidered having children knowing they were at risk because of this. If anyone knows of research out there linking this, please let me know. I was wondering about this myself.

8. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

I initially had an overactive thyroid (Graves Disease), had the radioactive iodine treatment and it caused my thyroid to go underactive. I was dx'd when Dylan was around 8mths old, as I had to stop breast feeding him to get treatment.
    Dylan was dx'd neary 2 years ago at age 7.

Kim

9. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

My son was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 1/2 yrs. ago. We treat it with levothroid. He was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I had no idea these were related until he was diagnosed with the D. Then they tell me that the risk for D was increased since he had hypothyroid. ARGH!

10. melanie46721

melanie46721 Approved members

My father found out he was type 1 when he was 21 years old. He also has Hashimoto's syndrome. When I was 21, I also found out that I was type 1 and had Hashimoto's syndrome also. I would say that their is a good chance that auto-immune disorders are hereditary. My dad and I even grew up in different environments which discounts that aspect. He grew up in MI and I grew up in IN.

11. blessed

blessed Approved members

I find all these post intreging

I too am type 1 and have Hashimotos's and Thyroid cancer (diagn. Nov.07) and have some kind of marker in my labs indicating Lupis. (no real symptoms yet) But I firmly believe that thyroid and diabetes go hand in. I was gestational with him but not my second child. 2nd child doesn't have diabetes at this point. I firmly believe that it is all related. Look at how many have posted!

12. Tabithas_storm

Tabithas_storm Approved members

My 13 year old was diagnosed with diabetes 4 years ago, last year, during normal lab checks, we were told that she had antibodies for thyroid problems. At that point we didn't know if it would be hyper or hypo thyroidism. She is now on a very low dose of synthroid, and we just have to keep an eye on it. She also has problems with the pituitary and adrenal glands. We were told that those were damaged during the initial illness that brought her to the hospital.

Here's the kicker.... no one in my family has any of these diseases. Nor in her dad's family. The doctor's said it all started from a severe case of strep that had her in for emergency surgery to have her tonsils and adnoids taken out. 7months later, she was back in the hospital for her initial visit for diabetes.

I hope that this is the last surprise we will recieve as far as her health. I know that there are several diseases that go hand in hand with diabetes. There is also something called Polyglandular Autoimmune Disorder. If you look it up, it tells you all the stuff that CAN BE linked together through the autoimmune responses. Addison's, graves disease, ciliac, thyroid issues, diabetes, and there are a couple more. My daughter's endo checks for antibodies yearly, just so we can stay on top of it all. That is how we caught the thyroid issues before it became a problem.

This is an aweful disease to live with, but I am thankful for all the medical advances that have been made over the years.

13. liveitxloveit

liveitxloveit Approved members

I have thyroid problems; mine is too big. But I think it runs in my family, because my sister does too. Unless she's diabetic too? :eek:

14. Bahama-mama

Bahama-mama Approved members

Family with thyroid problems

My sister has Grave's disease and several aunts have thyroid problems.
    There must be a link.

15. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

My daughter has type 1 daibetes(diagnosed at 18 months, now she is soon to be 5 in 6 weeks) and last year she was diagnosed with hypo. My FIL has hypo.

16. Sherry Wendi's Mom

Sherry Wendi's Mom Approved members

My husband was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism when he was 16. We have been so concerned with that with our children that we never even considered the possibility of Type 1 D. Now that our middle child has it, it seems so much more possible that it is hereditary. Interesting...

Sherry

17. PseudoJenn

PseudoJenn Approved members

Very interesting to read these replies!

I was dx`d with Hypothyroidism 13years ago.
    My Mom has been T1D for 25yrs and was dx`d with Hypothyroidism in the last 5-8yrs (not sure exact time).
    My oldest DS was dx`d this year with T1D.

18. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

A study looking at all families with type 1 diabetes in Sweden, looking at the parents of 21,268 diabetics found that the parents were more likely than the general Swedish population to have 13 out of the 33 diseases they looked at.
    In terms of how much more likely parents were to have the disease vs the general population, diabetes was number one. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis was number 5: parents of type 1 diabetics were 2.35 times more likely to have Hashimotos than age matched people who didn't have diabetic kids.

The full list of conditions that parents of diabetics were more at risk for, from highest comparative risk to lowest (and keep in mind that some of these diseases are really rare and therefore three times the risk doesn't add up to much risk):

More than 3x the risk:
    type 1 diabetes
    primary biliary cirrhosis
    More than 2x the risk:
    celiac
    Addison's Disease
    Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    rheumatoid arthritis
    Wegener's granulomatosis
    Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
    Increased risk less than 2x the general population
    Graves' Disease
    sarcoiditis
    asthma
    ulcerative colitis

Source:
    Heminini, K with X Li, J and K Sundquist. "Familial Association Between Type 1 Diabetes and Other Autoimmune Related Diseases", Diabetologia September 2009.

19. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

I also have Graves and was diagnoised while pregnant. I had symptoms from both Hypo and Hyper, then became alergic to PTU. My endo gave me the option of radiation or surgery to remove the thyroid and I chose surgery. It was really the best option for me. It took a bit of time to balance the meds but I don't regret having the surgery.

20. sunshine95

sunshine95 Approved members

My mom, grandma and Aunt have hashimoto's hypothyroidism and i was diagnosed with it 2 1/2 years ago and 1 year ago i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.