- advertisement -

hypoglycemia in nondiabetic toddler

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Jan 1, 2009.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi, My 17month old has woken up 2x in the last 4-5 months with symptoms of hypoglycemia. When I checked her she was in the high 30's to low 40's, lethargic, pale, jittery etc... The first time I didn't think anything of it because I thought she was getting sick but it happened again this past weekend. She does SLOWLY come up and begins to act/feel normal again. Has anyone had this happen in their nondiabetic child or a child prior to diabetes diagnosis? Thanks

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I havn't, But I would Definately but a call into the peditrician tomorrow!

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Have you ever noticed any highs? Is she getting sugar to bring her up or is she coming up on her own?

4. Alexa's Mommy

Alexa's Mommy Approved members

Oh my Goodness how scary! I hope you get some answers soon...

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

My youngest did that when she was about the same age as your daughter. Maybe from around her first birthday and it happened several times over a few months.

She would wake up crying at night all the time and want a drink. Then she would suck down a drink and conk out on me. Sometimes she wanted a snack too. It was making me crazy because she had just stopped waking up at night! Anyway, that went on for a couple of weeks. Then one night she was crying wierd. I thought she maybe had a bad dream and wasn't awake. I brought her downstairs and got her a drink. She was still acting strange and it crossed me mind to check her and she was 62. That was awhile after the juice. We had numbers in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. I am super-paranoid about her developing diabetes and I was certain that it was happening. I figured I would keep my eye on her and call the doctor when anything changed. She ended up just quitting.

When I think back I think maybe I should have called the doctor. At the time it didn't seem like there was anything to do about it. Her number always came up after carbs. I don't know....

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I would say that it is something to keep an eye on.
    Hate to tell you this, but I think Sam had a severe low 6 months before he was dx'd---he passed out in the bathroom in the morning after he had gone to bed without dinner. He had hurt himself and didn't feel like eating. The next day when someone asked him about his injury, he turned very pale and almost passed out. We treated him like he was low, not knowing what was going on and sure enough he perked right up. Took him to the dr who said it was "emotional" which I found odd.

7. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

One of our non-D daughters is having BG's all over the place.

I hope everything is normal with your little one. I would advise small mini-meals/snacks throughout the day to keep the BG at a level range. Hopefully, it is just low BG from activity.

Watch for excessive thirst and excessive urination.