- advertisement -

Hypoglycemia and Stomach Pain

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Mum2Liv, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Mum2Liv

Mum2Liv Approved members

Hi there ... this is something that rears its ugly head once in a while. My 13 year old daughter has had a few days of concentrated lows (she just started roller derby and is a skating machine), and I'm working on making adjustments. Before bed last night she had a low and treated with juice, then another in the night which she treated. This morning she woke up with in range bs, but bad stabbing stomach pain. This has happened before and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen and how they deal with it. She can't go to school and is pretty pale. Thanks!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my dd has had a couple of lows accompanied by nausea and stomach cramping. Both times it was preceded by higher numbers and then a FAST drop as seen on the CGM. Both time I ended up giving my dd the anti-nausea meds that we keep on hand for ketones, because she was miserable with her head over the bath tub for at least a half hour after her number had stabilized. Zofran works for her in about 10 minutes, I have only done this twice now, but it worked like a charm.

You said a few days of lows, and I wonder if she has a tummy bug where she is not absorbing well and has ketones in the AM that are larger than normal fasting ketones? My dd feels ketones strongly when they are just above 1.0, she also looks pale/drained.