advertisement

Hyperthyroidism & Where to find Standard Ultrasound Measurements of Thyroid gland in 2.5 y.o. boy?

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by RuRuLio, Feb 26, 2013.

1. RuRuLio

RuRuLio New Member

Hi. We came across this forum while searching for tables of reference values for thyroid hormones and thyroid gland size measurements for our son who is 2.5. He has had some initial bloodwork completed and one ultrasound. We've been told that the bloodwork signaled signs of hyperthyroidism and the ultrasound indicates his thyroid gland is uniformly "enlarged" with no nodes visible.

Even though we are repeating the bloodwork test this week (at the request of our son's doctor), we understand how to they are being read because they include a range of "normal" values for the all the parameters measured and we can see where he is way outside those values.

The ultrasound however is different. It does provide a set of measurements (3 linear measurements) taken for each half of the thyroid gland before giving the opinion that his gland is "enlarged". However, it does not provide a set of reference values (volume or otherwise) that the ultrasound tech used when determining that our son's glad is "enlarged". We went back into the lab and requested that information, but they got real huffy about it and said they would not provide that information without a doctor requesting it in writing (personally, I find that weird). We will be requesting that, but our next doctor's appointment is two weeks away.

Surely somewhere on the internet there must be a table of normal measurement ranges - either linear or total volume - for a 2.5 year old boy that we could be looking at while we wait for our next appointment with the doctor and the next set of bloodwork? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'd never seen a reference range and I have had a thyroid ultrasound as well as iodine uptake scan. It's my understanding that the "uniform" bit is actually the much more important thing to take away.

In looking online I found an abstract that makes me think if you have a medical library near you you'd find an answer in the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2162852

I found a couple studies in which you can see full data for on normal thyroid ultrasound size for kids ages 6-16, but that is older than your son.
    One of them gives a computation based on body size; you may be able to adjust it (it includes a formula for surface body mass) : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2486937/?page=2