- advertisement -

Hungry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sari, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

So Ross has gone to the nurse this week at around 10 because he thinks he is low. Turns out he isn't low, just confusing the feeling for being hungry. He eats breakfast at 7:45 and doesn't get lunch until 11:20.

What do you all feed your kids for breakfast to hold them over til lunch? Ross has been having oatmeal and yogurt. Today we tried a new idea of a whole grain waffle with peanut butter and a whole banana. He didn't really like the waffle much, but I am curious to see if it holds him over.

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

My daughter doesn't get snack anymore, and it's usually about 5 hours between breakfast and lunch, so I've been trying to fill her up too. We do grilled cheese and scrambled eggs, breakfast burrito with eggs, turkey sausage/bacon and cheese, couple of pieces of toast, eggs, meat (jeez, she eats a lot of eggs), omelet and glass of Carnation instant breakfast. I need to start throwing some fruit in there.

ETA: My daughter is 11, so she can probably hold more than your son.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm pretty sure Maddie had an AM snack time through 3rd grade. It might be something to ask the teacher/principal about. If your son is hungry, I'm betting some of the other kids are too, and hungry kids are distracted kids. ;)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh gee, that's a long time without eating for that age, IMO.

My son eats breakfast around 7-7:15am. Then they all have a snack at school around 9:40.

Maybe add a few more things to his breakfast, like scrambled eggs and a piece of buttered toast and a yoghurt with fruit?

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My DD eats breakfast at around 6:45 AM and doesn't get lunch until 12:00 PM. She is in 5th grade and they do get a morning snack that they eat in class between 9:30 AM and 10:00 AM depending on any specials they may have. My DD usually eats a Nature Valley Granola Bar to hold her over.

6. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Breakfast burritos are my favorite breakfast for Cass. They fill her up, are quick and easy to eat, and I can sneak spinach and other veggies inside them and she loves them. I usually do a big batch and freeze them so we can pop them in the microwave and two minutes later, voila, breakfast...

7. NikkiDuck

NikkiDuck Approved members

Would you mind sharing your recipe? That sounds wonderful!
    Nicole

8. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh eats breakfast at 7am and Lunch around noon. She does get a 9am snack. We've tried going without a snack and when we do she goes low.

For breakfast she eats Cereal. I've offered things like pancakes, waffles, bacon sandwiches but she just wants cereal. Occasionally i can get her to eat oatmeal. Eggs make her sick, so does sausage. She says pancakes take to long to eat, we have to leave for school at 7:15. So she has to eat her breakfast rather quickly.

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son is older, but he gets hungry fast, too! He has breakfast 6:20 am - 6:30 am; lunch is around 11:20 a.m. So, he eats 1/3 C oatmeal mixed with water and nuked; a bowl of cereal (we are talking like 3 Cups!) plus 1.5 cups milk IN the cereal, and a go-gurt. Sometimes we switch up the go-gurt with eggs or toast with PB but right now it's go-gurt.

(He absolutely love Loves LOVES cereal but we have to be careful cause I did see a pattern with some cereals that TOTALLY spiked him, and some are a bit more gentle to him! :p )

10. suz

suz Approved members

I was going to ask the same thing myself!

11. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I can't go that long without eating!

12. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

what time does he leave for school? could he do a cheese stick and ham or some protein snack right then?

we get morning snack but dd is still high from breakfast then so I send in less than 10 carbs and do not even have the teacher check as she can freak if she is high and it is still within 2 hours of breakfast, so Yes she is high

for breakfast we do a homemade cereal bar (Celiac here) so it is made out of Dates, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chex Cereal and frozen into a bar, and apple with some PB/ OR a greek yogurt, and some canadian bacon or other protein

we do a breakfast sandwich of this 8 carb microwave biscuit, ham and cheese some mornings too, but she still wants apples or yogurt too

she would prefer pancakes or cereal every morning, but that still leaves her over 300 for 2 hours and I hate her having that lack of concentration at school, and that is prebolusing 20 minutes

good luck

we also added an afternoon snack at our school as she will go low if she goes from 11am-3pm without a snack, could you add a snack to his plan if needed?