- advertisement -

Human papilloma vaccine HPV

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashtensmom, Sep 9, 2013.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My 14 year old son got the vaccine. He said it didn't hurt any worse than the other vaccines.

2. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We did

My daughter is in 6th grade. We chose to have the first dose already of the vaccine. I asked my pediatrician if he was giving it to his own girls and he said yes . That was good enough for me. We still have to go back for a second dose we noticed no side effects

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

I agree. It seems that males can be silent carriers and I feel it's my responsibility to do what I can to protect others as well. Like I mentioned earlier, we will probably do it next year.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Glad to hear it's not as painful as I had heard. My friend had 2 pukers and 3 fainters, but that could have been the kid more than the shot.
    I'm glad to hear that peds are encouraging boys to get them too.

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Seriously - like 99% are carriers of HPV. It is mind blowing to think that we can eradicate this disease that kills others like my grandmother.

6. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

A very large study was published in 2012, which looked at Gardasil and autoimmune diseases. It covered 190,000 people, and was done by an insurance company. Type-1 diabetes was one of the diseases they looked for specifically.

Here is a quote from the news coverage:

They found no increase in any of 16 autoimmune disorders in the vaccinated population compared to a matched population of non-vaccinated girls and women. The 16 autoimmune disorders they looked for were:

"... immune thrombocytopenia, autoimmune hemolytic anemia, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, type 1 diabetes, Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, multiple sclerosis, acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, other demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system, vaccine-associated demyelination, Guillain-Barr? syndrome, neuromyelitis optica, optic neuritis and uveitis."​

I know some people are afraid that the same drug companies that sell the vaccine will also fund the studies showing they are safe. Having an insurance company run the study is perfect. They are the people who pay for the vaccine, and they are the people who pay for any adverse side effects of the vaccine, so they are the best people to evaluate safety. Plus, they have the records to do it well. Not just anyone can review 190,000 patient records!

More info:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240897.php

Joshua Levy

7. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

A few disjointed thoughts:

It is great that people are doing research on this for themselves.

The vaccine has great promise.

If you don't know the stats for the risks of the vaccine and the stats for the risk of the disease you don't know enough.

The study showing the vaccine is safe has two glaring problems - the girls were only followed for six months and the article stated that the vaccine "does not trigger autoimmune disorders" which is overstated since the most they could have accurately stated was that they did not see any greater than expected increase in autoimmune rates.

We live in a world that is not the same as our mother's. STD's are epidemic and the guidelines created in the 70's are simply outdated. Safe sex and vaccines offer woefully inadequate protection or worse yet a false sense of security. The stats on STD's prove that our current strategies are losing the war on disease.

Reports of harm from the vaccine are often sensationalized and grossly misreported yet they have spurred Japan to reconsider the vaccine.

8. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I think a lot of that has to do with giving a vaccine to a group of girls en masse. 12-year-old girls (and maybe boys now, too--I've been out of the classroom for a few years) get it through school where I taught, and some years things go smoothly while other years you'd think amputations were being performed in the library. It all comes back to how the "queen bee" handles her shot.

9. minniem

minniem Approved members

Our pediatrician mentioned it to me last year at my son's 11 year old appointment. We are planning to get it for him next year. I will do the same for my daughters too when they are old enough.

HPV is everywhere and if something could help prevent them from having it, I'm all for it.

10. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

You are so right, I was told that by a dr. Unfortunately, rarely do males have any symptoms, while girls will have the issues since hpv can lead to cervical cancer. Im guessing it doesn't affects males that much because they don't have a cervix lol.

I actually didn't even know males could get the vaccine.. good to know

11. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Actually, HPV does cause cancer in males. It cause throat and tongue cancer as well as cancer of the male sex organs. However, the vaccination is only approved by the FDA as a preventative to Cervical cancer.

12. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

My son and daughter both had the vaccine. Our pediatrician recommended it & I thought it was a good idea.

No problems.

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I have actually chosen not to get this, but I wanted to mention that you can have the vaccine if you have been sexually active. Someone else commented otherwise, but this is not the case in Canada.

It is only indicated for women under a certain age though. Which is fairly old, 24 and under I think.

14. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Learn something new every day! Thanks for letting me know that, I had no idea.

15. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

You can get it, but it won't be effective if you already have HPV.

16. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

So if you have had an abnormal pap but it resolved to normal there is no point in getting it ?

17. Lee

Lee Approved members

Exactly - it comes and goes. It is never gone for good.

ETA - it doesn't really come and go, but the virus lives in the skin for about forever and it can take 10 years for it start damaging cells. So you might have an infection that appears in 6 months, and then another section is slower to change.

18. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

It is still advised to get the series because it may protect against different strains of HPV that the person with abnormal pap or testing HPV positive may have not been exposed too.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I am just researching this more and there is also a product called Cervarix. Not sure if it is in the states too. It protects against more strains

20. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes. Cervarix and Gardasil are both used here in the US.