- advertisement -

Humalog pen in the pod?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by FloridaMom, Jul 27, 2011.

1. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

Does anyone know if you can use the Humalog pen in the pods? I have a ton of insulin in the pens I don't want to waste, but I don't know if the BD needles are compatible with the little pod "hole."

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I would just draw up the amount you would normally from a vial using what you normally use for the pod (but don't inject air into the pen, the pressure will make the back pop off!). It's just like a vial without any airspace.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I filled Bobby's pod with the humalog pen (screwed BD pen needle on top, primed it and then shot it into pod) and it was easy breezy, but when I mentioned doing so to our NP she seemed surprised by the idea...she said other patients fill using pens, but they draw the insulin out of the pen (with the syringe for the pod) and then fill the pod with it.

I don't know if I just got lucky, but it worked just fine.

The pod rep only chimed in to tell me that if I drew the insulin out of the pen with the syringe, to be sure not to use the pen itself to dose with later as the syringe needle might screw up the pen seal.

4. emilyblake

emilyblake Approved members

We have done that very often - we only crack open a pen when a pod comes off so it's not used very often. Once open, we use it within 28 days and i draw the humalog out with the Pod needle and fill it up just as if it came from a vial.

I'd rather do that than throw it out - no issues at all when we've done this.