- advertisement -

Humalog NOT covered as of 1/1/2012 ...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by VinceysMom, Dec 6, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I am about to freak out! Humalog and Humulin U-100 will no longer be covered by my insurance. Humulin U-500 concentrate will be covered, along with NovoLog and Novolin... OMG... someone please tell me that the regimine is the same... I am about ready to totally lose it... this is hard enough and now THIS??

Please someone talk to me about Novolog or whatever you think will replace Humalog. And, is there a pen?

Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Style mom

Style mom Approved members

You're fine. Humalog and Novalog are essentially interchangable. For us, they are completely interchangable. :). And yes. There are Novalog pens.

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

We go back and forth and can't tell a difference. In my opinion, the novopen is vastly superior to the humalog pen.

4. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

your not alone. We got notice that our lantus will be covered at a three tier deductible.

5. Traci

Traci Approved members

I'm sorry we are all dealing with this. Very frustrating.

6. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

That's frustrating! I find Humalog and Novolog to be completely interchangeable, though. I also really like the Novolog pens better.

7. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Thanks everyone, I'm so disgusted ... for lack of a better word... I so appreciate your thoughts on all this... THANK YOU...

Kathy

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

All penfill cartridges and Lantus pens are tier III for us ($60). I'm just glad to have coverage and be able to buy the supplies our son needs.

9. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

I was once worried about that too as we had only ever used Humalog. I had once been told Novolog might be used slightly different by the body . Like others who have posted here once we tried it DS seemed to be able to use either one at same amounts. We saw no difference.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

from what I hear humalog and novalog are pretty much interchangeable. Ashleigh was originally prescribed humalog when she left the children's hospital after dx. However we had samples of novolog at home, so we just had them switch our prescription to novolog. The endo office never acted like a made a difference which fast acting humalog vs novolog that you used. My SIL and nephew both use humalog.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Novolog is better than Humalog (unless you have an allergy to Novolog). In a meta analysis, Humalog does not improve A1cs or frequency of severe hypoglycemia compared to the much cheaper Regular (http://www.cmaj.ca/content/159/11/1353.reprint). Novolog has, although not by much.

Humulin R is regular, and Humulin N is NPH. They are both cheaper, if you buy them without insurance, than Humalog. They are pretty different from each other.

12. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

For us, Olivia has a bad reaction to one of the inert ingredients in Novalog. We are not sure what exactly it is, but every time she has been on Novalog, we have had major problems and reactions, so much now that that her chart is noted humalog only. they did tell us that the two should be interchangeable, and for most people they are (our children's hospital does not stock humalog, only novalog in its hospital dispensary) so I think for like 99% of people there would be no problems, we just happen to be that 1 lucky precent.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Our insurance pulled this on us several years ago now, but I was already wanting to try Novalog, so was not that upset by it. We find that Novalog gets in and out faster than Humalog did, for both son and daughter. Otherwise, doses remained about the same. Having corrections work faster is always a good thing, and knowing that it is out of their system quicker is also nice, so that stacking doesn't happen.

14. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We got the same letter, I heard the same about them being unit for unit the same. I hope so.

15. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We just switched to novolog from humulog (dr gave us a different prescription last time we went). DD's bg has been so much more stable since the switch.