- advertisement -

Huge issues w/ school...

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Brisgirl, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Brisgirl

Brisgirl New Member

My daughter is 5 and in all-day Kindergarten in the state of Missouri. Before the beginning of school, my husband and I counseled the relevant school staff: the principal, teacher, nurse, and counselor on the BG meter, the pump, and all other diabetic issues.
    We understood that the school would take awhile to become comfortable dealing with her diabetes and treating her. We've all been there; bringing home your child from the hospital and being on your own to keep them healthy. It's nerve-wracking, scary, and a huge responsibility; we were empathetic towards them.
    Everyday since the middle of August, we are phoned because they are not confident in what to do, and often we go to the school to help. This has always been difficult because of work, university, and the other children in the home, who have disabilities as well.
    Today, the nurse called in sick, she is a part-time worker, and they could not get a substitute, the principal had a meeting, the counselor is also only part-time, and Kayla's teacher has never taken on the task of caring for her; I am sure that she has forgotten how. We were called at 9am, and informed that we needed to go to the school every two hours to handle Kayla's BG and bolus requirements. This was not an option as our other two children had Dr appointments; so we took Makayla out of school. Apparently no one even realized that Kayla missed her breakfast bolus, she eats at school around 7:30am, and at 9:30am she was over (High Glucose) 600 mg/dL, the highest number the BG meter reads.
    We had thought that we would just deal with being needed on the phone and at school. Since we are looking to buy a home soon, Makayla will be attending another school, possibly in another district so there was no logical reason to question policy at this time. However, we are now being forced to take Makayla out of school because there is no full-time nurse and Kayla's teacher has never taken the initiative to learn to address her needs. This, of course, changes things now.
    We plan to start a petition process to demand that a full-time nurse be on staff and that the teacher be available for us to teach her the process and that she be expected to perform said process when necessary.
    We are lucky that Makayla ate enough carbs for breakfast this morning since no one bothered to take care of her. Had she gone hypoglycemic, I am sure no one knew how to use her glucagon should the need have arisen.
    We are wondering if anyone knows or understands the petition process either in general and preferably in the state of Missouri. Is this even really an issue that will be considered discrimination based on Section 504? I have read through the paperwork, but it is certainly close enough to legalese that I need a translator. I want to make sure that not having a nurse on staff can constitute as an aide necessary for her.
    Sorry for the digressions throughout this post, it seems I needed to vent a little.

Blessings,
    Sarah

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

From what has happened, it doesn't sound like you had a 504 in place at the beginning of the school year. Your daughter doesn't need a nurse necessarily, but someone who will be trained and pay attention to her diabetes needs. You have attempted to gain the good will of the school staff and they have taken advantage of your patience in their learning curve.

I would begin with getting a 504 in place as soon as possible. The school would find someone who would be trained on your daughter's needs as they get into a lot of trouble when they do not follow a 504.

They should have started this process when they knew your daughter was going to be in their school, but now you can demand that a meeting be set up.

There are sample 504 documents on this web site. It sounds like you know what your daughter needs.

3. Brisgirl

Brisgirl New Member

Thank you for your help. I didn't realize that 504 was a plan that needed implementing on an individual basis. We were thinking that it was a section of law that was universal to everyone. I am glad that I know this now.

Makayla was diagnosed at three so talking about school was not part of our tutoring process. When she was enrolled in August, the school told us what they needed in order to legally treat her, and we got that paperwork. No one, the school or her endo, said anything about gathering a 504 plan.
    I wish that we would have known this sooner so that Kayla would not have missed out on so much already. She wasn't able to stay at her pumpkin patch field trip for the full time because I had school to attend to. I stayed as long as I could but she was rightfully upset, nonetheless.
    I certainly feel guilty that I didn't look into this and ask questions in August. I simply trusted that school was doing all it could. Seems many people, sadly even teachers, can't be trusted to do all they can for kids unless there is a law and threat to sue.

You have truly been a great help. We thank you immensely! I am sure that Makayla will be grateful for your help as well; you have already made her year brighter!

4. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

Some schools tend to not to be fully aware of there responsibilty and letting parents aware of a 504. Also, while 504 is a legal document there are instances that parents of diabetic children have had trouble getting one set up...not saying this will be your case but just to let you know.

I definately would contact the school ASAP and request that they have a 504 determination meeting scheduled.

In the mean time if you haven't visited the ADA parents forum message boards there are tons of parents over there that are a wealth of information and help. Here is a link.... http://community.diabetes.org/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&webtag=adaparents

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I also wanted to add that you should call the American Diabetes Association and request their school discrimination packet. The number is 800-DIABETES. Many of the documents in the packet can also be found on the ADA website at diabetes.org but it is helpful to get that packet.

If you haven't already, I would send a letter (on paper - not email) to the school requesting that they hold a 504 eligibililty meeting. This is a public school right?

There is an excellent sample 504 plan in the packet and at the ADA website. The CWD site also has examples of 504 plans (already filled out - not templates)

The process of getting a 504 can take awhile and be complicated but it is best to go ahead and get started on it.

In the meantime I think of course you have to do something with your school. Forgetting to give insulin is in NO way acceptable. Do you have a "diabetes medical management plan" in place? Schools call it by all different names but it basically is the care plan for your child - how often to test and I:C ratios and things like that. I would think that not following the plan is likely some major violation of what the school is supposed to be doing.

Have you talked to the school and what did they say or do they refuse to change anything?

6. skooled

skooled New Member

I second this--not acceptable! You need to get your doctor on your side. If the school does not have a form for diabetes management, your endocrinologist can make one. It spells out exactly what to do and when. It spells out how serious "serious" is and what steps to take at each level. Your doctor needs to write an order for the school which requires a full day nurse in the school who is ultimately responsible for carrying out the plan. Your school may not require you to take your child from school or refuse to provide care just because they don't have anyone available that day (of course, if your child is in a private school, they are not under any obligation to comply with the law.)

As a parent(and a school nurse!) I would be beside myself in your situation. Call your MD in the morning to discuss the plan, then call your principal. You cannot wait until fall to fix this.

7. jrstockdill

jrstockdill New Member

Trouble with schools

I am having the same issues. I have had a IEP in place since 2004 when my daughter was dx. However, ignorance is bliss. I have let the district off the hook and now as my daughter is in middle school, and splitting nurses between two schools things have become difficult.

The districts idea of a health assistant is a receptionist that knows CPR and can call the other school to ask what to do.

I had my daughter just sit in the nurses office for 10 minutes while I spoke with her and no one came in. I did this to prove a point during a meeting I will have today with the district. My daughter could have had a seizure in there and no one would have checked. If the receptionist is busy, no one would know.

In MN we recently had a child 16 years old athlete die overseas because the group he went with considered a health concious person who knew CPR woudl be going with. I don't care how old the diabetic is with, they should be alone as little as possible. A low or high can bring confusion, counting carbs can be confusing and even for a child of 12 like my daughter, they tend to think that since there hasn't been an issue, there won't be one in the future and I am the trouble maker by merely suggesting that someone is on campus that is comfortable giving a shot, making a phone call to me should there arise a problem.

Also, what really bothers me is that schools consider someone who's cousin had type 2 diabetes an expert and hide behind a lack of funding.

What they don't know could kill my daughter. I sugested a time to train someone, instead when my daughter's battery failed in her pump (new battery, just a fluke) sent my daughter searching the school for a janitor to find a new battery. There wasn't anyone in the office at the time. The receptionist came back in to find my daughter crying on the phone to me.

They never called me back to say that she had found a battery. I had to send a family member to the school to demoand to see her to make sure she was alright. They called it fluke. I was on the verge of closing my store (I was the only one there in the a.m.) and my husband was going to leave his job as well since we coudn't get any answer. (every phone they have is automated)

Please, any words or information would be great. My confernece might be today, but we have 6 more years left in school.

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I would also let your endo know that you are having trouble with the school and that they failed to give her a bolus for a meal - that should get your endo's attention. Our endo group is part of the children's hospital in our town and they told me that if we had any trouble with the school to let them know and they would help us out. Fortunately, we haven't had to go that route.

I am so sorry you are having this trouble. I would definitely go for a 504 plan. We do not have a full-time nurse in our school - she splits time between two elementary schools - however, she has two very capable health room clerks - one in particular usually assumes all the "d" related stuff during the day.

I hope you can get things resolved. You have received a lot of good advice as to where to get some information - also search for 504 plans on this site too. Good Luck!

9. zell828

zell828 Approved members