- advertisement -

How would you treat an "almost" low at school

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Dec 14, 2012.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son is very hypo-aware, so that he can often sense when he is coming down, even if his reading is still in range. Generally at home I assess how badly he is feeling and decide how much rapid kind of carbs he needs, like juice or dex 4 tabs or whether he can have a little more sustaining carbs like whole wheat crackers, etc. But today I got a call from the school saying that he was at 4.4 (79 in mg) and feeling low. We treat lows at 4.0 so he was on the edge. The thing is, he had 3 hours left of school, so if I advise to treat with juice, I'm afraid that this will not sustain him for another 3 hours. If I advise a granola bar (lower glycemic), I think this will last longer in his system, but maybe not bring him up quick enough if falling rapidly. I did advise the granola bar, but now I'm super worried I made a mistake and should have said to give him juice. I'm going to call the school again to check in anyway, but what would you all do?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Deal

Deal Approved members

I think it is awesome that he feels the lows. I would trust his feelings. The meter's variance on a reading of 4.5 is around 20% meaning his true value is best considered as likely between 3.6 and 5.4, not exactly 4.5.

If he felt low he was probably dropping and fast acting would be better. If he didn't feel low the granola would work just as well. I find that most foods start raising bg pretty quickly and so I don't usually go for the juice/tabs/skittles unless it's a felt low or an under 3.5 reading. If the reading is 4 and he feels fine then a regular snack works great.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I used to make my daughter's meter say an number below 70 before we treated. Then I learned about meter error here and the stress on the body lows create from T1U, so now we treat if she doesn't feel good below ninety. Not as much, just a couple carrot sticks or something to bump her up a few points.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You must not be "super worried" about any decision to treat a low.:cwds: You'll not survive this if you do. A juice might have been the correct choice - maybe 2 tabs would have been better - perhaps a juice and one tab and 3 crackers might have been best :rolleyes: You do the best you can in the moment and if the resulting number is too high or too low you learn from it, correct and move on.:cwds:

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

How did it go? We often combine a quick sugar like glucose, but only ONE tablet...and then follow up with something like some PB or a granola bar. The quick sugar will bring up, but the granola or PB will maintain.

Honestly the "feeling low" would be my deciding factor though, sometimes he'll feel it before the meter shows it, usually signalling a pretty quick drop.

6. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I always tell Campbell and the school nurses to treat the symptoms rather the numbers. If he feels low, we treat it as a low, even if the meter says he's not officially low. He often feels badly with a sudden or hard drop, so if he we treat it quickly it usually steadies out.

7. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I always tell DS to treat the feelings not the number. So if he felt shaky he'd have a tab or two and test again in a little while.

8. Inman

Inman Approved members

I feel the same way.:)

9. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I remember dd's school called me just a month or two after she was dx. They told me her number was a 124...but dd felt low. It was about 30 min till lunch so I said let's not treat that....by the time she tested for lunch she was a 85. I learned from that day forward to let dd's feelings be the deciding factor on whether to treat. Sometimes we split a dex4 tab if she isn't super low but feels herself dropping. Does your son's school have a fridge? We leave string cheese and danimal yogurt drinks at school. If there's anything I've learned since dd's dx....TRUST your instincts! We will never be a perfect pancreas substitute...just go with the flow, if you over treat it can always be corrected later :cwds:

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

Thanks, I needed to hear that. I'm trying to work on the correct and move on part. I surprise even myself that I can actually do this sometimes:) I guess just not that day. Anyway, it turned out he came up just fine.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You will be able to move on bit by bit -- do give yourself a break. This is all new to you. I am glad you are coming here to get advice. One day, you will be the one to give advice from your own experience.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This is the essence of my beliefs on surviving D as a parent.
    D is not static, every decision is influenced by numerous factors, some that you can know and evaluate, many that you cannot. You do the best you can with what information you have. Life a chef, "you're only as good as your last plate" (or in this case bolus) Do your best, trust your instinct, listen to your inner voice, and never look back to judge, only to learn and then to carry on.:cwds:

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

You are so very right!

However, in the example you give, it is possible your DD really didn't drop at all. If you consider any number on the meter can be off by 20%...that 124 could have been actually a 100...and that 85 could have been around 100 as well. Not saying this happened...that 85 could actually been 20% lower as well. But that drop in 30 minutes may not be that big.