- advertisement -

How would you handle this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Jan 15, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

Every year my sister in-law takes my children on an outing as their Christmas gift. This year she bought them tickets to Monster Jam. I did not want my DS to miss out on this just because he has diabetes so she will be taking him this Saturday from about 6pm until 11pm. Other than school, no one else besides me and my husband has cared for him. My son is only 6yrs old, but is capable of doing blood checks and can give him self an injection in the belly. They plan to have snacks at Monster Jam so he will need to give himself and injection. Here are my concerns: I have no idea if my sister-in law will be able to carb. count the snacks she buys him at Monster Jam because I don't think carb. counts will even be on the packaging. Should I just tell her to buy him something like popcorn where I can estimate the carb count ahead of time? Also, he normally gets a basal shot at 7:30pm. Again, my son can give a shot in the belly, but I've never given basal in the belly (always bottom), because I think basal would be absorbed too quickly in the belly. Should I just wait until he gets home at 11pm to give the basal? I don't think my sister in-law would be comfortable learning how to give a injection.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

A few thoughts:
    -talk to your sister! explain the issues and ask what she is comfortable with.
    -I woudl not delay basal for 4 hours. That is too long. Could you son inject in his thigh? Is his older brother going andcould he inject? Or maybe your sister will step up and be willing to do it.
    -Definitely decide on snacks ahead and give estimated carb counts. Popcorn sounds like a great option.
    -remember all the excitement is likely to make him go low. Or maybe high. Sometimes being wound up makes my dd go high instead of low.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

First, ask your sister in law. She may surprise you.

Being that your son is only 6, she is going to have to step in no matter what. I can't imagine that he knows the carb counts and correct dosing without some help. She'll have to watch to make sure he draws or dials up the correct dosing of his long acting. You'll have to go over these things with her.

As for carb counts I would either have her just text you with what he's eating, you can look it up and tell her how much insulin you want him to have, or she can look it up on CalorieKing if she has a smart phone. When my daughter goes with friends we tend to go the texting route. When she's with an adult, they will either call or text to reconfirm numbers, doses etc.

4. khannen

khannen Approved members

Is giving the basal at 6 before they go an option? It's been six yrs since my daughter was on Lantus so I don't remember the specifics. I would definitely estimate carb counts for some snacks. I've also sometimes just tossed small pre-packaged and labeled snacks into her kit. Also- thank her profusely for taking him. A lot of people ...even family...aren't often willing to take D care on! ;)

5. JamieP

JamieP Approved members

It's no problem at all to shift the Lantus shot by 30min at a time, so you could start shifting 30min each night until you get it so you can give him his shot before or after. Then shift your way back.

On the food, my son always sends me a text picture of what he wants when he is somewhere with special treats. Then you could make an educated guess on portion size and carbs for them.

Good luck!

6. steph

steph Approved members

We shifted lantus by an hour each day. We also give it in the belly or thigh bc my DD will scream bloody murder if I try to give her a shot in the backside. I think maybe it's bc she cant see what's going on. I would recommend to just let your child eat whatever everyone else is eating. No reason to pack lame snacks from home or be limited to popcorn. Just let him have normal snacks (minus the crazy sugar drinks) estimate carbs as best as you can, and then correct later if needed.

And i agree that you should ask her and talk to your SIL about what is different now that your son has diabetes and ask if she would be willing to sit down with you and learn a little bit about the signs of lows and highs and how to give injections. We get bottles of saline from the dr's office so friends and family can practice giving shots to me, so they feel confident to be able to dose my daughter if they need to. It works great.

7. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

As far a your SIL giving a shot goes just ask her. Keep this in mind your son is going to have to have insulin for his entire life and untill he can give it to himself all the time someone is going to have to give it to him. It is just part of life for our kids. That means that the sooner the people we trust with our children learn to fully care for our children the better. My MIL refused to give Jared his injections when he was first dx said no you just feed him before you go and give him his insulin. I simply told her she would need to get used to giving him his injections because what was she going to to if he needed glucagon just refuse. I showed he how small the needle was and had her practice with an orange.

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

Thanks everyone for all the ideas!