- advertisement -

How well does the omnipod stay on?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannong, Apr 5, 2013.

1. shannong

shannong Approved members

So we are trying to finalize our pump choice. I do love the simplicity of the omnipod and no tubes to deal with. However, the rep. came over to our house and put a demo on my son and by night-time it was coming off. My 7yr. old is very active (and I know a lot of other kids are too). He is constantly running, tumbling, skateboarding - you name it. I have no idea how it came off. He was brushing his teeth that night and I noticed it kind of hanging there. I asked him if he knew. He claims his brother tugged at it, but my older son denies this. Anyway, kind of disappointed that our first "demo" try at this was a failure. Do people tape over it to secure it better? Also, he had it placed on his arm (sort of on the underside where the rep said it wouldn't bang into things). Would we have better luck on a different site?

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

I think it's different with everyone. For us, on a typical three day pod, we have no issues whatsoever with the pod coming off. During the summer with tons of pool and lake time, we do wrap the pod with vet wrap to keep it on.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We're relatively new to the omnipod so our success might improve with time.

Right now, we use an alcohol wipe and a barrier wipe before putting it on. DS has lost 1 (shower) and had 1 loosen enough that we covered it with hypafix tape to keep it in. DD has lost 2 (1 bath, 1 random) and had one pod failure. She's also had to tape down 2 others. Between them, we've had 4 extra insets and it's only been a month. We haven't even tried hip or thigh yet because those seem more likely to pull off and we want to manage arm and stomach first.

That said, the ones that make it 3 days on DD need unisolve to take them off because they are so strongly adhered.

No idea why the difference because they are all from the same boxes but we aren't loving the extra insets. For us, it's hit or miss.

4. Marcon2000

Marcon2000 Approved members

I was wondering the same thing? I like how the pod has no tubing but my son wrestles and I'm not sure if he could wear it during tournaments. He is also an active 6 year old and I want to make sure it stays on!

5. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We have used both medtronic and omnipod pumps and have had both fall off but not so frequently I would say it is a huge problem. We always use tegaderm to tape down a site (either pump). We also put KT tape over the top of the pod. For waterpolo he puts vetwrap around his arm or wears a basketball cuff over the site. There is a learning curve with any pump and we lost more sites early on while he was getting used to wearing a pump. :rolleyes:

6. MyHandsAreFulll

MyHandsAreFulll Approved members

We don't use any extra adhesive during winter months. During the summer we always place a piece of kinesiology tape over it and that keeps it from getting ripped off. She swims daily during the summer.

7. reaganrocks

reaganrocks Approved members

My DD has been on the OmniPod for only a week and a half. It has stayed on pretty well. She is a competitive gymnist and practices 9 hours per week so we use Vet Tape to wrap it while she practices and this works REALLY well. We mainly chose the OmniPod for the tubeless function becasue we did not want her to have to disconnect from a pump for three hours at a time for practice or meets. We are LOVING it so far!

Good luck making your pump choice. :)

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

The only ones we've had fall off were ones she knocked off. She wears them on the backs of her arms and early on she got one caught on a door and one on a seatbelt. I think now she's just unconsciously aware of them it hasn't happened since the first couple of months.

If she's been swimming a lot the edges will come a little loose sometimes. We just tape them back down. And we do use vet wrap when swimming.

9. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I may be repeating as I didn't read all posts but we use cavilon under the pod which protects her skin and also dries tacky. I also cut 4 strips of opsite and tape down each side when she wears it on her thigh and 2 strips to wear on the catheter end and opposite side when she wears it on her belly. This is secure enough to last through 3 days of swimming. Pod has been knocked off a few times in the 6 years she has been on it but these were extreme circumstances.

10. shannong

Thanks for the replies. I have one more demo one the rep. gave us, so I am going to try it on his stomach tonight and see if we have better luck. If it can't withstand 3 days, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

If you have any opsite tape (you can order on amazon with overnight shipping pretty cheap) you should try cutting 4 pieces and taping each side. This tape is 100% awesome and will hold anything on.

Also, you can ask your rep for more samples or even just give omnipod a call and have them send you some more. It took me 3 or 4 sample pods to decide I was comfortable having something that big on my body and omnipod was very understanding.

12. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We've had very few issues with it coming loose early. She's knocked a couple off in nearly a year on the pod and we've had a couple start to get a little loose when she's been in the water A LOT, but nothing a little tape can't help stick down till pod change day.

I think it has a lot to do with the chemistry of the person's skin who is wearing it. Some people, like my DD, often need extra help getting it off, it's stuck on so tight, while others need something extra to keep it on for the duration.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

We have a hard time getting it off. It sticks like crazy for us.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

This is our experience as well. In 3 years, she has probably knocked or had knocked off only 2-3 pods.

15. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

I agree that there is a learning curve. We lost more than a few initially but once DD got use to wearing the pods she was more protective of them. It's been six months since we used skin prep (due to skin reaction) and even without it we still need to use unisolve to remove the stuck on pods. I also agree that skin type plays a factor... DD has a tendency towards dry skin. Good luck, we love our pods :)

16. shannong

Great idea Meg. I don't know why I was thinking I was just limited to these two demos, I'm sure the rep would give me more.

So, I put the pod on DS yesterday. Was very happy to see it survived all the playing, wrestling with his brother, etc. But then he just woke up this morning and there it was hanging from him again. I realize now that it is the unit separating from the adhesive (the adhesive part is still stuck on him). I'm not giving up on it yet - I love the whole tubeless thing. I'm going to contact the rep and see what she suggests.

17. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We had the same problem when we started podding and the rep had me try mefix tape over the pump. We would cut a strip or two of mefix tape and tape over the pod once it was on. It helped but soon after that we switched to KT tape and found it works even better. The KT tape allows for more flexibility. http://www.kttape.com/ We buy the precut roll but cut each precut strip into four more strips and it lasts for months. The two pumps we have used each have their advantages but the tubeless option is really nice.

18. shannong

So over the course of the day, my DS has developed a really red rash in the shape of the pod on his stomach. Looks like some kind of allergic reaction to the adhesive. Wow, it seems like this really is not going to work for us.:(

19. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

That happened with us but cavilon barrier wipes took care of the issue.

20. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

My 13 yr old son is a new Omnipod user as of May this year and he must be one of those who needs extra adhesion. :) We've used extra tape to keep it on for another day and yesterday, it came off right when we got home from the water park-today was the day to change it out. We went camping last week and as he walked out the popup camper door, he caught it on the door and it ripped right off without it hurting him. Luckily, we had packed extras and put on a new pod...again it was the day *before* we had to change it..go figure.
    For the most part, it stays on okay, but not much when it comes to water activities. We bought a bands4life, but it didn't help at all yesterday. An Omnipod rep told me over the phone a few minutes ago, to try waterproof Nexcare Tegaderm patches. Anyone tried these? I saw a comment on a Walgreens link that said they used them to put over the insulin pump infusion sets to secure them in humid conditions.

I've used Angry Bird tender tape once before and it seemed to help. :D