advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to protect pump from sprinkler?

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by jlh0920, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

Hello,
    I was wondering if any of you out there have thoughts on how to protect an insulin pump from splashing water and sprinklers now that it is summer? My daughter, who is 20 months old, goes to a daycare a few hours a week, and on the days she goes they have "water play". Our pump, the medtronic revel, is not waterproof. Aside from disconnecting her (which we really just cannot afford to do for up to 3 hrs at a time), are there any other options? Do I just need to prevent her from any water play during the summer? That seems depressing...

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I dont have a medtronic pump, but arnt they "Splash proof"? if so then I bet a sprinkler would be fine. if not the maybe you could get a water proof pump pouch sort of thing. I googled it and got quite a few results

3. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

My daughter doesn't take her pump off for sprinklers or splashing in the creek.

If it makes you feel any better...our pump has also survived being unintentially submerged in murky Chesapeake Bay water for an extended period of time, obviously not a situation I recommend;).

Honestly, in a daycare situation I would be more concerned with disconnecting and the pump getting lost/damaged, than I would be with it getting damaged from being splashed.

4. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

You could always wrap it in Saran wrap, or a small baggy they are splash proof

5. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

That's what we do. I just put DSs pump in a plastic snack size ziplock bag. Never had any problems. We disconnect for swimming, but for sprinkler type water play the ziplock bag has always been just fine.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

They ARE waterproof, until there is a crack, cracks are hard to see, so I wouldn't take the chance (and its the reason why MM took away the 'waterproof' label).. What we've done in the past is put it in a ziplock baggies, squeeze the air out, roll it up and put it in so the ziploc part is facing down.. they we stick it in a pump pouch.. send two on those days so she can put a dry one on when she's done.. they also make water proof bags for electronics that would fit a pump in..

7. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

If you have one of those food saver vacuum sealers, you could seal it in a plastic pouch you make with that. Of course, a small opening for the tubing would need to be made.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have the MM pump, and we just leave it in his pump pouch for sprinkler play. It's never been a problem.

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I used to worry about my MM pump getting wet in these situations, but they are actually just as waterproof as the animas. They're waterproof unless there are cracks, and on the off-chance that there is any water damage, MM will replace. So.. I don't worry about small amounts of water although I wouldn't fully submerge it deliberately.