- advertisement -

How to make a school nurse understand....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofphoenix, Mar 25, 2008.

1. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

I posted a while ago that Phoenix gave himself his first injection, well guess what.... Him and I both told his nurse at school that he was doing his injections and Finger sticks at home, and that I would like for him to try and do it at school as much as possible (it must be that whole "He needs to know how to do it" thought process we parents have) well she had the nerve to tell him "you don't know what your doing to just stop already!!!" :eek: so he is now NOT doing any of it... he refuses. How do I make him do what he needs to do without over loading him??? I'm so frustrated!!! It took 5 years to get him to try and when I finally get him to do his stuff and he is excited about doing it she go's and tells him he isn't doing it right!!!! I'm so mad, and he feels like he shouldn't do it cause he cant do it right....

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

What are these people thinking? If he is getting the insulin, what's the harm! I would walk in there and ring her neck and see what she thinks can be done to remove her foot from her mouth?

3. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

Gotta love these school nurse's:rolleyes:

4. Thoover

Thoover Approved members

I would make an appointment with the school nurse and the principle of the school. Sit her down without your son in this meeting and explain to her that he is more than able to do this. I am surpised as alot of the school nurses I have spoken with want to teach the kids and help but they also need to learn to do it on their own as well. Our Nurse has Britt counting carbs even though she is on the pump and doing the math to calculate what insulin she would get. She does that just incase her pump breaks and has to use the needles..

5. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

or even better talk to the the supervising school nurse. she'll straighten her out. she's the nurses boss.

6. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Yo youz needa take a more understadable path here see?

Say me, fat Tony, Skinny Tony, short Tony, Tony the tall, Bean pole Tony, Big Tony, Uncle Tony, Little Tony and Tony Boy goez over dere and we make dis dere nurze a offer she cant refute.

fredntan2, who talks lie a tony, saying ta talk to da Big Boss dat is a good idear too - talking with da God Father

7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Quick slap upside the head?

Or better yet go with Bennet's Posse.

How dare she?

~~Becky~~

8. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

This is one of the reasons I plan on writing an obsessively detailed 504 next year! :eek:

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You know what? These people need to know that YOU make the decisions about your son's health care. Sometimes medical professionals are so used to bossing people around that they forget who is actually in charge. That doesn't mean you have to be a beyotch to her. Just be very firm and calm. If she still refuses, go over her head. Keep going over people's heads until you get to someone who will work with you. This is unacceptable, and I'm furious to hear about school nurses who are unreasonable/incompetent. Their JOB is to keep our kids healthy at school. Not to make their lives more difficult.

10. rare

rare Approved members

Try talking to her and see how that goes. Be like "I spent 5 years building up my son's self esteem for this and you ruined it in the blink of an eye!" She needs to understand that part of being a nurse is to be supportive and educate her patients. A nurse's primary job is to build a person up to do things for themselves and only provide necessary care when they're unable to. So unless there's a doctors order forbidding him to do his own injections, she needs to be more encouraging and supportive. Politely remind her of her job description. If that doesn't work then go above her head until you get results.

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Chrissa,

And don't let anybody try to back you off your obsessively detailed plan.

Tom's new counselor at HS was leading his 504 renewal meeting. If I heard one more time "504 plans in Fairfax County don't address that" I would have dope slapped him.

I stood my ground and we got what we wanted.

PS This is when I finally decided that the vaunted Fairfax County school system ain't all it's cracked up to be. Not that I didn't have that suspicion already...

~~Becky~~

12. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Considering the track record with this nurse (are you still looking to change schools), I think I'd just leave it alone. You're into the 4 school quarter so hopefully you're just dealing with 9 more weeks of her.

I don't think I'd push him at home either - the situation between you guys and the nurse is obviously stressing him out and I wouldn't add onto that. Someone else posted a few months back that its important to catch the signals when our kids are trying to tell us that they don't want as much responsibility - it can be overwhelming with everything else

So hopefully you'll be in a new school next year, spend the summer having her do all of his diabetes care and then your new school 504 should be easy because the nurse's job is only to OVERSEE and NOT DO ANYTHING

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

WOW, I don't even know what to say.. I would definitely call a meeting, and taken Bennetts advice, and get da "Tony's" all involved ;)

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

I agree with Nancy. You don't want to make things even worse! She isn't normal. You can't talk to her and make her feel bad. She is waayyy to pridefull.

I would be counting the minutes until I could get that woman away from my son!!

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I would have a meeting with the nurse and the principal and if she doesn't change then inform the state board of nursing. Talk about undoing all of that hard work. I am glad I am not there. I would have given that nurse a piece of my mind and believe me I can do it all without opening my mouth.

16. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

thanks for all the replies, Sorry I havent gotten on her much Phoenix's bs are way off and I am doing an appeal with Tricare.

Well the school nurse and principle are in love I swear. He thinks the world of the nurse. I did get in touch with the Endo and he is sending a letter to her stating she is NOT to EVER say negative things to him. From what I have heard she is supposably looking for a new job... I am keeping my fingers crossed......

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I believe the nurse handled this poorly and frightened your child, but just to give the nurse some kind of benefit of the doubt:
    Is it possible he's getting mixed messages on exactly how to do an injection so he's refusing to do it because he's afraid of doing it wrong?
    I know there are a lot of different ways to fill a syringe and many different ways to go about the actual injection and I know that some people think that their way is the best way. Maybe he's getting one kind of instruction on how to do an injection from the nurse and different instructions at home. Maybe now he doesn't know who to believe.

Just my two cents.

18. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm so sorry you're STILL having problems, Jessie. Hopefully this nurse will be moving on and you'll get someone else that is more understanding.....

As far as giving injections, Cameron gave himself his shots for about 2 weeks and then decided he didn't want to anymore. That was fine with us. When he feels comfortable enough to do it again, I'll let him. I ask him every once in awhile and he says "No" and that's okay. Hopefully we'll be on the pump this summer so it won't be an issue........:cwds:

19. Vi'sMom

Vi'sMom Approved members

I'm sorry but I'm convinced that 90% of school nurses are just evil.
    Your story just convinces me even more! What a horrible horrible thing to say to a little one! You have handled it better then I ever would have. Is there any other D kids in the school? If so you see if you can talk to the parents and see if this "nurse" has treated their kids this way.

20. jendean

jendean Approved members

any good nurse will tell you that a person with T1D needs to be doing thier own injections. That is the first thing my nurse/mentor asked me when I told her about Nolans D.... (the day he was diagnosed) "is he doing his own injections?
    that nurse is a turkey and a jerk.
    (sorry, but its true)
    ANY nurse will tell you that it is best for a patient to be doing his own.
    I wish I could tell you stories of the types of people I am currently working with to do their own injections... but HIPPA....
    Get a 504 plan in place, and for the love of all thats holy.... tell that nurse off. Make sure she knows that you know the name of her boss, and that you know how to report to the state nursing board.

That should fix it.
    (I know I sound harsh, but I have had it up to here with school nurses-- most are probably good people, but some of the ones I hear about make me want to call Jaco on them.)
    Good luck.
    :cwds: