- advertisement -

How to interface a Dexcom Diabetes Monitor to your Home Automation System

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Jul 22, 2013.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

I suppose not even knowing what a "home automation system" is, puts me at a disadvantage... LOL

What is it?

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

well, who knew such things existed? I don't have a garage door, sprinklers, or an alarm. I also have one TV with one remote. I'm so last century.

not to make fun of the original idea. It's a nifty thing. But do a lot of people have these sorts of set ups?

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have an alarm. A 25 pound mutt named Ollie. :D But like you, that's about it! ;)

ETA: I find the original idea very interesting!

6. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

We actually have this set up at our house. Our engineer friend (also on cocoontech) did it for us. Basically, her Dexcom sits in a cradle that, when it vibrates, triggers an alert through the home announcement speakers so it is easy to hear it everywhere through the house. It also would turn on her lamp in her room. It did work great when we used it but alas, I was still the only one that heard it and responded. Everyone else slept throught it!

We haven't used it lately since the new dex has such great range we can keep it in our bedroom while she is in hers. But it is a great option.

ETA - actually, I just looked closer at the link and it is our friend's posting! This is the system he designed for us. It's the exact thing that we have in our home.

7. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Massive Geek Love

This is brilliant.

8. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Wondering what the ETA for the G5 is. Would go a long way to making this home hook-up obsolete.

9. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

It was over two years ago that he set it up. She also used it to "alert" us when she was sick one day and wanted us to bring her something. Kind of like ringing a bell. LOL

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  10. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

My son has his own alert system. He lies in bed and screams, "DAAAAAD!". He uses it for critical moments like needing a cup of water, or needing more pillows, despite me telling him my servant days are over. I'm dreading the day when we hand over D responsibilities :cwds:

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We actually owned a business once upon a time, installing them, so while my home no longer has one, they are nifty! When it worked it was set to my daily schedule, with lights on at certain times, a trail of lowered lights leading to the baby room, etc. They are very cool.

I had a side business setting them up for disabled folks that were voice activated. One business we sold, the other we closed. Hadn't thought about home automation in a very long time.

12. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

That would be pretty cool. We don't use an Dexcom (or have a home automation system), but I've thought about what to do if we did use a Dexcom. My and my child's bedrooms are not only on different floors, but they are on opposite ends of those floors. Even the 20 foot range wouldn't help me.

13. snail_on_wheels

snail_on_wheels Approved members

I have something like that but without the home automation system and it works with Medtronic pump. I have a small vibration sensor + wireless transmitter attached to my son's pump at night. The receiver is in my bedroom and it alarms loudly every time the vibration sensor detects pump/CGSM alarm.