- advertisement -

How to handle this

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommyofMany, Jan 24, 2010.

1. MommyofMany

MommyofMany Approved members

Tomorrow Cole is supposed to be going to the dentist to get his wisdom teeth out then a few hours later to get braces put on. I really didn't want it scheduled on the same day but they said they don't know when the next time is that they'll be able to put them the braces on and if we wait his teeth may start to shift even further before they have a chance to put the braces on. I didn't think teeth shifted that fast but okay. :confused: I know how much braces and wisdom teeth removal hurt but I don't know how they will affect bg. For Cole, pain equals lows instead of highs which worries me because I know he won't be eating much of anything after the procedues, which is just going to add to the lows. I'm not sure what I can do.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Wow, I'm really shocked they are doing this. I had my wisdom teeth out two at a time and I was swolen up for day and the areas they took them out were really tender. I would not by any stretch of the imagination want braces on during that time. I would suggest pushing the braces for 1 week - I don't buy the "the teeth will move" bit

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yeah I agree with Nancy. This seems like a bit of stress for Cole to deal with in one day. For my son stress makes him go high but Im sure you're right and Cole wont be able to eat much, probably lots of fluids, popsicles, applesauce, cream soups will be about all he will want. If it were Steven I would reduce the lantus and do corrections during the day as needed. I wouldnt want Cole to go low after the procedure and have to take in carbs. Will he be having general anasthesia or just novocaine?

4. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

No way!

Wisdom teeth removal is surgery. There is pain and swelling to deal with for a few days. Also, your DS will need to learn how to take care of the sockets (empty holes) where the teeth once were.

When braces are put on, there is a different type of pain to deal with for a few days. Then, DS will have to learn how to brush his teeth and floss differently.

I would not recommend doing both of these at the same time. Teeth will not shift that much.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I can't imagine doing both of those in one day! Alex had his wisdom teeth out in Aug and he was swollen for quite awhile. I can't imagine they could have gotten his mouth open wide enough to put braces on that day.

The following are some tips I gathered before Alex's surgery:
    Wisdom Teeth Tips

Ask Endo about lowing basal insulin the night before so not low the morning of (b/c can?t eat).

Test blood sugar with great frequency the night before, day of, and night after surgery- about every two hours.

Revisit the Glucagon procedure, just in case.

Use 16 ounce bags of petite frozen peas to use for ice packs. Put them in ziploc bags and wrapped the bags in paper towels.

Oral surgeon will give instructions but probably 15 or 20 minutes with ice on and 15-20 minutes off the packs. Bags went back in the freezer between times.

Make sure to eat something with/before pain meds?.they forgot to mention that to us!

Milkshakes, ice cream, jello, cold soup, yogurt, smoothies, pudding

6. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

My oldest son just had his wisdom teeth out in November. There is no way he could have had braces put on the next day. Another tip, though, is that he shouldn't use a straw when drinking as it can lead to dry sockets. Hope it all goes well!

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Trust your mommy gut and tell them NO, That's way too much for a kid to handle...What are they thinking????:confused:

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Please don't put your son through that. I can't believe any respectable orthodontist would do that.
    I was knocked out for my wisdom teeth removal and I only had 2. I slept the rest of the day and was in pain for 2 weeks.
    Braces were painful at first, too.
    Wow, I didn't realize wisdom teeth came in that early.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  9. Denise

Denise Approved members

another vote for the NO..please don't allow them to do both in the same day.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Are you sure it's his wisdom teeth? Most kids, at age 11, haven't even gotten their 12 year molars yet. Wisdom teeth rarely come in before age 15.

Oh and I forgot to add, no way in HELL I'd let my child have both of those procedures done on the same day.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I can't conceive of any medical professional who would allow wisdom tooth extraction and application of braces on the same day. That would be barbaric.

In fact, any extraction immediately followed by braces would be torture, and any dentist and/or orthodontist knows that.

Seriously?

12. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

No way would Kaleb go for that either.

I do not have wisdom teeth ( never had ) so I am can not say on that, but I had braces and my mouth was sore for a few days.

I would reschedule the braces appointment.

13. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Good point. Maybe it is something other than wisdom teeth? I didn't check his age.

But I have a friend whose 12 yo dd is in the process of getting braces and she has had a number of baby teeth extracted. But still doesn't have the braces yet. They extracted a few teeth one day. Then more a week or so later. Then the Ortho put on spacers and maybe something else. I think the braces will be next....but that's weeks after the extractions.

14. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

I think I would be taking my child somewhere else. What the heck is wrong with them. That is totally and completely crazy, IMO.

You ultimately have to make the decision, but it seems as everyone here is in agreement. There is no way in one day maybe even not within one week would I allow both procedure to be done. If they have no time for you son I'm sure someone else will.

Where's the mohawk pics?

15. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

no way !!!

16. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

oh absolutely - I know my daughter had some baby teeth taken before her braces went on, and thinking back to my own braces, I had my 12year molars taken out on the top before my braces went in. I don't think there's anything unusual about that at all.

17. Lizzie's Mom

Lizzie's Mom Approved members

That's insane. I have had molars out as a kid and had braces and had wisdom teeth out as an adult. Teeth out an braces on the same day? That's just simply too much to put someone through all at once.

Not only that, but I'd be EXTREMELY concerned about debris getting into extraction holes (adhesive, wire snippings, ANY bacteria from a technician getting into multiple open wounds!) and increasing the risk of infection.

How do I really feel about it? No way. Even without diabetes. The stress, drugs, and weird diet for a few days is going to do enough to knock D out of whack as it is.

JUST A SIDE NOTE: If you need to treat lows, DO NOT give any fluids with a STRAW. Any suction in the mouth could dislodge the blood clots in the tooth sockets. You do not want that to happen, or he can get what's called dry sockets - an excruciating complication of tooth extraction :eek:. You can click HERE for google results to read about dry sockets.

Blessings and prayers,

18. Toni

Toni Banned

No, I would wait for the braces, shift or no shift. I might be looking for another othodontist as well.:eek:

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Two years ago, I had a bunch of dental procedures done at once. Huge mistake!:eek:

There's nothing wrong with waiting.

Hold your ground and don't do everything at once.

20. Mom2Michael

Mom2Michael Approved members

I'm with everyone else here. Both my girls have had braces and I can't imagine them having any other dental work done the same day. To be honest I think if you do this you're setting yourself up for a kid who fears going to the dentist/orthodontist. We switched orthodontist's at the beginning of my oldest daughters road to braces (he was a jerk!) so don't be afraid to do that :)