advertisement

How to get enough G5 transmitters to send with daughter for a year in Europe?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Aug 8, 2016.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hello Everyone,
    Our daughter is FINALLY going to get a sensor! She'll be leaving for Europe the end of October. We plan to order a two month supply of sensors, then a 3 month supply before she goes. Unfortunately, our insurance will only send us two transmitters in a 6 month period. I was just wondering if any of you had figured out a way to get more transmitters from your insurance in a situation such as this. We have mailed things to her in the Czech Republic before (such as a loaner pump when her loaner pump failed) but I'd love not to have to do it if possible. Just wondered if you have found a way around that. I wish the transmitter lasted as long as the G4!
    Thanks!

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Have you talked to your insurer to see if they can make any allowances? Every Dexcom user I know gets sensors every three months, transmitters every six months, and a receiver once a year. (The G5 transmitters are meant to last for the six month warranty period, just like the G4 - just in two "installments." I do know that you don't get any grace with the G5s, though the G4s do seem to last way past warranty, often.)

Will you get your supplies directly from Dexcom, from your insurance, or from a third party provider? I'm pretty sure they're not going to bend the rules, but it can't hurt to try. It's possible that they can be sent directly to your daughter at her overseas address by the provider.

3. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Thanks for the response, Becky! I'll contact Cigna, but I'm HIGHLY skeptical that they'll allow us early shipment of the transmitters! I did find out from Dexcom that if we are desperate, we can pay for them out of pocket (two for $599). They also do a one time replacement for a "lost" transmitter at $199. We'll just have to kick it around for a while and figure what to do!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

check both sides of your insurance; medical /dme and Pharmacy/rx. A lot more are having it covered on both. For us they are not connected so I can order the same exact thing at the same time and get both.

5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You may be able to go through prescription insurance for it. I can refill a G5 transmitter every month through express scripts. You can also speak to your insurance about getting an override to get a full year of supplies at once. She should be able to make a 5 month supply of sensors last close to a year though. The bigger issue is going to be if a G5 transmitter you get doesn't work while she is in Europe. I have had major issues with G5 transmitters in various situations while outside the US (in the West Bank in particular where there is nothing resembling a functional postal system) and Dexcom has no system in place to replace in warranty transmitters that fail or refuse to work outside of the US.