- advertisement -

How on earth did this happen???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MelStan, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MelStan

MelStan Member

This is my first real thread, ever..aren't I brave? :p

Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else...

Eilish went to bed last night with a new site in (connected by me, and I'm absolutely certain it WAS connected..I'm always really careful about that) Her bg was 18 (324) :eek:. I checked her a bit later, still 18, so corrected and went back to bed. Then she came in to our bedroom at 4am to tell me she couldn't find her pump anywhere!!! :confused: She was freaking out poor kid..
    I found it lying on the floor. Her bg had gone up to 20 (360) and she was really thirsty.
    Anyway, the only conclusion I've been able to arrive at, is that she disconnected her pump in her sleep. We use Comforts (think they might be called Silhouettes in the US?) and they need to be squeezed in a certain way to disconnect. I find them quite tricky, but she's pretty good at it now..in fact she could probably do it in her sleep..
    Isn't that a bit scary? :eek:

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Yikes! That would freak me right out! :eek: I would add that to my list of things to worry about! :) haha Hopefully you can get your smart girl to stop doing that! :)

3. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

That's a scary one.

I had a bite guard to keep me from grinding my teeth and I hated it. I dutifully put it in at night. But sometimes I would wake up and think it had fallen out of my mouth and I would find it sitting on the nightstand. So I must have put it there although I had no recollection of doing it.

I hope there is another explanation for your DD.

4. Ella's mom

Ella's mom Approved members

Hi Mel:cwds:

Sorry to read of Eilish's pump coming off during the night. Sounds like an odd happening for sure. Wonder if she in her sleep took it off?

(congrats to your very first thread!)

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Hey Mel. Welcome to the wild world of starting a new thread!

Something pretty similar had happened to Samantha. We had only been pumping for about 3 weeks. Sam was having a sleepover at our house with some friends and she was low. I stuck her on a temp rate and continued to test her throughout the night. She came up nicely but then wouldn't stop, she kept going up, up, up. I kept correcting her through the pump and nothing! I finally checked ketones and she had them! :eek: I went to disconnect her pump to figure out what was wrong and it was already disconnected. I have no clue how it happened or when it happened. She didn't have reason to disconnect all night long. Only thing I can figure is that she did it in her sleep.

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

That must have been quite a shocker.

Just another reason I'm fine with being on MDI - at least when DD gets her injection I know I'm good for a given number of hours until the next one is due..

7. Scotty's Mum

Scotty's Mum Approved members

Hey Mel, what an interesting (and scary) first thread!!! We have not have anything like that happen to us thankfully.

My non-d son can do strange things in his sleep though. The other night he came into my room after going to the toilet, turned the light on, said hello:). I said "thanks for waking me up".:eek: He goes "oh, sorry". I told him to turn the light off and go back to bed which he did. The next morning he had absolutely no recollection of any of it.:D After this (he has never been a sleep walker) I believe anything is possible.:D

8. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Mel :)

That was scary. Good grief.:eek:
    I also guess she took it off in her sleep or the needle just came off by accident, although I think Eilish would have felt the needle hurting her this way:confused:
    Do you think Eilish would be ok using something like Tegaderm over the site?

9. MelStan

MelStan Member

Thanks for your responses everyone:cwds:

Paula, the site was still on (not sure if that's what you meant?) and it was just the pump that was disconnected, which is what was weird. We've had sites come off overnight before..

She wasn't keen on the idea of tegaderm. I'm hoping it won't happen again!

I told her yesterday what I thought had happened and she said "So I was sleep - disconnecting?" :D

10. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We haven't had this happen but I can see how she might do it in her sleep. Phillip has done some wierd things in his sleep. The other night he changed his alarm from 12.30 to 6.30 in his sleep. Thats the time he gets up for school. I still can't figure how he set it accurately while asleep, and he can't remember doing it. Anythings possible.