- advertisement -

How old was your CWD when they went solo to D-camp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy For Life, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

My daughter went to solo camp at age 8, for one week. The following summer she stayed for 2 weeks. She loves it & all the friends she has there. I think a lot depends on how your child does away from you in general, not just diabetes-wise. My daughter never had problems staying away from home, even before diabetes. There were a number of girls in her cabin that were homesick & cried. I know because that was the only thing my daughter complained about....kids that didn't seem to be able to separate from their parents.

ps: Hi Lisa!

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

My CWD went at 10. She was Dx at 10 also. It was a great experience for her. I stayed an hour from camp, just in case, but I wasn't needed. Year two we took a road trip. I figured I was within 7 hours away with relatives only an hour away (set this up ahead of time). I was glad when we were back within a few hours drive, just in case. It's baby steps for some of us parents.

3. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

We sent Caitlin when she was 6- the youngest age they allowed. I was very nervous and cried when we left her but both my husband and I thought it was a good idea. The hardest part for me was when we sent her they didn't have all the options that they do now- day camp, family camp, "mini-camp" sessions, etc. I clearly remember showing her the brochure and pictures and telling her it would be wonderful because not only did all the campers have diabetes but most of the staff too, etc. Her response was "if you want me to be NORMAL send me to NORMAL camp not with a bunch of diabetes FREAKS", and proceeding to stomp out of our bedroom. She eventually came around and was excited to go and when we picked her up and asked if she could stay for four weeks the next year. My response was "so...it was fun?" She continued to go back every summer, worked as a counselor for a few years, etc. I think it helped our kids gain great independence and confidence in their care.

4. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My son went for the first time last year at 10 years old. He loved camp and came back saying how much he enjoyed it but at the same time he has said a couple times that he does not want to go back next year. Not quite sure what that was about but when summer rolls around again maybe he will change his mind.

5. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Yes he does! Glad to hear your daughter loves it too and had made some great friends. Jacob wants to stay two straight weeks this summer if he can (I'm not sure about the age requirement).

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, Age 9
    Dx since 2005, Pumping with MM

6. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

Jacob will be able to stay for 2 weeks this year. The schedule is up already. Kim's daughter would go for the entire summer if they let her! It definitely depends on the child though, some are not ready to be away from home as much as others. I think it is so wonderful they have this available in so many places for the kids to go if they want to! Parents too!

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Thank you all for your responses! I am definitely encouraged by your stories of "happy campers". I know it will be hard letting Olivia be in the care of others. But on the flip side the wonderful experience Olivia will have being around other kids just like her makes up for any separation anxiety I will have! :rolleyes: :D

8. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

My son went at 7 (turned 7 at camp) only because we had done family camp 2 years in a row and everyone including him said he was ready.

He was not.

He has not been back again (he is now 9) but I do have hope that he will go again one day.

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey goes to Camp Conrad Chinnok also and is also 9 now. She stayed for two weeks last year although I think they were separated. She just loves it!! I wonder if they knew each other from camp?

10. Phyllis

Phyllis Approved members

Diabetes Camp at 9 and up

Eric was 9 when he went to diabetes camp. Camp Granada in Monticello Illinois. We were apprehensive turning over his care to people we did not know but the ratio of professionals to campers was high...almost 1:1.
    Anyway, he loved it. Although he missed home, he cried when we picked him up because he hated to leave all his new friends and counselors. He went every year after that and was a counselor in training when he was 18. He describes it as the high point of every year.

11. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Dd was diagnosed at 9, went to a sleep away regular camp at 10 (it went ok, not great). Finally, at 12, decided to go to D camp. She lasted the whole week, but did not have a good experience. Diabetes was not enough of a commonality to overcome the issues such as tight sleeping quarters, no down time, not being allowed to go to the restroom by herself at night (required to wake up another camper to accompany her), feeling left out because everyone else had a friend from a previous year, promised horseback riding which did not materialize. She hasn't returned, and hasn't regretted it.

On the other hand, even though she has no friends and barely one acquaintance with Type 1, she has never felt that her diabetes isolated her, and it doesn't burden her. She would much, much rather associate based on common interests.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Every year I ask my son if he would like to go to D camp and every year he says no, lol. It doesn't interest him in the least and I'm okay with that. :cwds: