- advertisement -

How often do you use control solution

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I used it at first, but rarely was anything wrong with the strips. I don't think I have used control solution in about 10 years.

I am not saying this is right, but is what I do.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When we couldn't find any, my daughter called Accu-chek and they sent us some free. I'm sure it's expired by now. We've never had a meter test bad here at home.

BUT...when our CDE was first showing us the meter, how to use test solution, etc. in the hospital, the meter FAILED. She quickly got us a different one.:p

3. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Dang! It looks like I am the only one using it! I use it with every other strip can.

4. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Well, knock it off!:p;)

5. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I just might do that:p

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Have never used it.

7. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I used it every strip bottle switch the first month when everything scared me, haven't used it since. It would be low on my list of suspects when troubleshooting, but if things were off and I had exhausted every other potential explanation I might go get a refill :cwds:

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

It's been so long I can say never. If I get a weird reading I test myself to see if I get a normal reading :cwds:

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I find that control solution isn't always the best way to go. One time, we got wonky readings and so I used it, got a wonky reading again. Called OneTouch, they had me do it again, wonky reading. Turns out that I was using expired solution (expires fast). Next time I had a problem it was because I was using the wrong kind of solution (at the time, they had two different kinds).

I'd prefer to see a calibration strip for the meter itself. Kind of along the lines of what Abbott has for the boxes of ketone strips.
    Something that is paired to that meter that we could use anytime that wouldn't expire.

10. paul

paul New Member

Always test each new batch

In the past 6 years we have experienced two partially out of range strips . In each case (One touch ultra and the old Freestyle) we were getting unexplainable variances in my son's BG readings and after thoroughly checking everything out, we found a wide variance in each of the two 300 strip batches. Over 30% of each batch was out of the control range at the upper end. In both cases, the strips were replaced by the vendors.

It's not clear if there were problems in manufacture or if the strips had been transported and/or warehoused at elevated temperatures beyond the upper temperature storage limits. Given the wide variances, this is a more probable reason, but who knows?

We are now on a 90 day cycle, so we can't risk an out of control range batch of that size (900 test strips), so I randomly test 4 to 6 strips; the higher number if the results are close to the lower/upper end of the recommended ranges.

Since so many variable enter into my son's diabetes control, the test strip issue is one that we have to eliminate.

BTW, we also do a control test if the meter is dropped - no problems noted so far.

11. alismom

alismom Approved members

Not saying its right, but never

12. lisac

lisac Approved members

I have never used it, don't know if I'd even know how. We kept some around for a while, but we'd never used it before, so I just threw it out.