- advertisement -

How much testing is too much?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

I feel like a conmon!!! Before starting the pump we tested before meals and snacks, before bed and 1 - 2 times/night. After starting the pump - every 2 hours. After endo visit we still test alot= it seems like numbers are crazy and granted we are changing basals, I:c, etc but it just seems crazy - 14 to 18 times a day!! If we're low, we check again to make sure she came back up, then again in an hours, if Grace is high, then correct, then check again at 1 and then 2 hours. Tell me it can get better! I asked for a con mon but the endo and CDE said we should wait - they are hoping to come out with an infusion set and sensor all in one (wouldn't that be great) because Grace has little body fat and we have a hard time finding spots for her infusion set. Sometimes I think we had better numbers on MDI, but I know we can do better and it will take time. I'm sure sleep and a little less stress wouldn't hurt as well:)

2. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

I just started the pump last month and I'm checking about 10-15 times a day. My endo is *still* adjusting my settings. I had another change in my basal rate earlier today. So I wouldn't say its too much.:)

3. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

That is a lot--but there's no other way to get the basals right if you don't have a CGM. Hopefully things will even out a bit (or your dr changes their mind about the CGM)

4. lynn

lynn Approved members

I think if you give it more time it'll let up some. Everybody has their comfort level in testing and I think when things settle down some for you the number of tests will settle into your comfort level.

5. buffalomom

buffalomom Approved members

We tested like crazy in the first few weeks with the pump- now just the regular times except if there is somehting funky going on with numbers and when exercising and lots of activity.

You'll figure it out- what works best for you

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we tested a lot when we first started pumping and now we average about 8-10 times a day. Prior to pumping, it was a solid 6 times a day.

I think your amount is not too much if you're using that info - logging it, learning from it. IMO , it only becomes obsessive testing when you're just testing due to fear and not really doing anything with the info you get.

7. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

I agree with Michelle. If you are doing it and using the numbers or it is during an adjustment period then it is not too much.

During the summer our amount of bg checks goes up quite a bit.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

The only test I could see you getting rid of is 1 hour after a correction for a high. The insulin is barely starting to work at that point. I would only do the 2 hour

In general, ask yourself this question: If this a time when you see a potential low? If yes, of course test. If no, then what are you going to do with the reading you get? If its high but you know there is enough IOB to cover it, you won't be doing a correction, so what will you do with it?

We were able to reduce our checks a little by asking ourselves what we are doing with the information? If you are really at risk of a low or a correctable high, then definitely you need to test. But, once you have been pumping for a while, you will see some patterns and find some times that you really aren't going to do anything with the # that you get, so you are ok not doing the test.

And then something changes and the numbers get out of whack and you start all over again! :)

9. 4.my.son

4.my.son Approved members

our endro told us she never fusses at parents thinking they are testing to much as long as you learn and it has a purpose. That you are getting useful information from testing .:)

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Deb, we tested a LOT at pump start. I also felt like we had better numbers on MDI for a while. I bet it took us a couple of months before things really settled down.

I disagree with Dr. Carrion on the CGM, but understand where he's coming from. His old CDE Kristina and I sort of just conspired against him and ordered it anyway. He acknowledges that we do very well with it, but says that most of his families try and give up on it, so I don't think he's too impressed overall with its user-friendliness. And Jack is a pretty big kid, so between his tummy and his booty, we find plenty of places for sites.

Keep at it. It sounds like you're doing a great job!

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I agree wit hall of the above posters - but from what I have seen about the CGMS - Minimed is the one working on the combined site - it is not one site - it is still two sites but covered with one thing. At least - the last mock that I have seen appeared that way. And they have been promising this forever - so if I had a chance, I would do it now...

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

That's my understanding too - two sites, but within the same "unit". And I also would not hold my breath waiting for it. If it appeared in the next two years, I'd be shocked.

13. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

WOW - Great point, thanks! :D

14. Angelica

Angelica Approved members

That seems like good advice, thanks!

15. sweetkid4

sweetkid4 Approved members

Sometimes I think we had better numbers on MDI, ........

I felt and sometimes still feel that way. DS starting pumping in mid March and I am just now to the point of a somewhat comfort level. We still test about 10x day...sometimes more if highs or lows have been present.

16. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

Despite what your Dr. says and the trouble finding places to put the site, you may want to think about getting the CGMS soon. I was not entirely thrilled with it as it is not always accurate...until we ran out of sensors and the insurance company wasn't willing to immediately cover for more. Now I really miss it and realize how much I relied on it - if only for ballpark figures. At night and while my son was playing actively it was SO useful and SO reassuring. We are now BEGGING the insurance company to allow us to order more sensors. I highly recommend trying it!

Corinne
    doiabetesmother.blogspot.com

17. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Thanks for the advice!!! I will keep that in mind.