- advertisement -

How much responsibility do you give to your CWD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kpoehls, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Abbey will be 14, we have been at this almost 5 years. She can do her own site changes, but prefers my help. She does pretty well with carb counting, but double checks with me. I try to let her be responsible with keeping her D bag supplied, but I set things out for her to remind her. In middle school, she bolused lunch at the nurse's office and treated really symptomatic lows there as well. Otherwise, she carried most of her supplies with her and treated mild lows in the classroom. Transitioning to middle school is a challenge without D, and our CWD's have there own personalities and levels of maturity. Last year, I thought Ab wanted independence with her care and handed over a good bit of it. That didn't last long, she asked for more assistance because she felt she had enough to do just keeping up with school and extracurricular activities. I was happy to take it back, she has a lifetime to deal with it.

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My six grader just transitioned to doing his own care at school but what I found is that I do more of his care at home. He is happy to do his care at school and asked for it. I think once he gets home though, he wants a break and I am happy to do it.

I agree with others...just focus on fine tuning while away from home. Your child will let you know when they want more independence. Usually more independence and self management is motivated by something he wants to do....less time with the nurse, more freedom at a friends house, spending the night, etc.

3. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

Am not reading everyone else's posts as I know this can be a touchy subject.

At 5 van injected himself and tested when asked
    By 6 testing, injecting and he used his own pump with supervision
    By 7 he would go for sleepovers (untethered and pump) and manage himself with phonecalls home. He could read carbs - but would occasionally make mistakes
    By 8 he started exploring the neighbourhood with test before he left and a pocket full of glucose
    At 10 - he does everything, with a constant reminder from us because he's reached that dippy stage where he would forget him name if he did't think hard. He weighs and calculates his own carbs, he's even smart enough to know when the pump is offering too much insulin (I'd set am and pm wrong on the new pump) and make a good educated guess as to what it should have been.

Every kid is different and capable of different things, you know your kid best and I say baby steps and see how they go.

BTW - you'll never stop worrying when they're out of your site on their own. I'm planning renovations in a few years so that I can keep him at home well into his mid twenties! The only time that i'm pleased that house prices are so high.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son has been in the stage for years. I am always reminding him and am trying to figure out how to remind him when he goes to college.

5. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Ella is 10 and we've been at this for almost 8 years. She's taken on more and more responsibility gradually as she's gotten older. She can check her own sugar when asked and when she feels off, bolus with or without supervision, suspend her pump, help with site changes, set temp basals when asked, and count carbs accurately about 90% of the time. I still do site changes, basal/ratio tweaking, night checks and appts/rx refills. I'll also be sure to give her a break, and make sure she just gets to be a kid as much as possible. I'll check or bolus her if she asks me too, or do a site change in a particular spot. Some nights I'll be okay with not checking her at night...not often, but she does get tired of pricking her fingers. She has more responsibility to remember to test/bolus when she's out with friends and not with us, than when she's at home.

6. mph

mph Approved members

Nick is 11 and has had T1 for 5.5 years. One day he just took over his own daytime care. :)

He knows that I am willing to take 100% of the care back if he wants/needs me to.

Your child will let you know when they are ready for the responsibility.:cwds: