- advertisement -

How much insulin does your child take?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shirley83006, Feb 14, 2011.

1. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

Just curious how much insulin your child gets. Our daughters blood sugars have been alittle high almost all the time. she is at 45 of the lantus, and we she was taking 1 unit for every 10 carbs and sugars, but we are changing it to every 7 or lower.

2. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor is 9 and pumping so we use only Novolog. His TDD is 45-50 units depending on how much he eats that day or if we have to correct a high.
    His basal is around 22-23 units.

3. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I think it really varies for everyone. Your daughter is 11, right? My daughter actually uses less insulin now at 13 than she did at 11, probably because of hormones. I remember being shocked at how much more insulin my DD suddenly needed at that age. I guess there is no right or wrong answer, they just need what they need. I believe at our highest usage we were at 36 units of basal.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  4. wilf

wilf Approved members

That sounds odd. If you don't mind my asking, how much does she weigh and how much does she get daily in boluses and corrections (on an average day)?

5. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

My 8 year old son uses about 24 units in his pump each day. He weighs about 63 pounds.

6. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I just looked this up for insurance :) My daughter is 7 and her TDD is usually 25-30. Our highest in recent history was 35. Of that, 14.5 is basal. She weighs 75 pounds, FWIW.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly is around 13u basal and bolus is usually around 20-30 depending on the day and how much she's eating.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My insulin needs have been dropping for the last couple of years - I think because I'm leaving adolescence. At the most, I was using about 25 units of Lantus per day and a little under 40 units of Novolog per day (1:7 ratio).

Right now I'm using about 9 units of Lantus per day and about about 20 units of Novolog per day (1:12 ratio).

9. lisab

lisab Approved members

My daughter is 9yrs and weighs 34kg.

17u of Lantus and 14 -17u of Apidra per day.

So her TTD is around 32 - 34 u.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm 18 and take 15-20 units of basal and about 15-20 units of bolus. My TDD varies between about 30 and 40U. My I:C is 1:10 and ISF is 1:100. My TDD had been similar since I was diagnosed.

11. txmom

txmom Approved members

Wow - my son's dosages are very different from the posters above.

He is 16, weighs 135. He takes 10 units of Lantus and about 12 units of Humalog with meals. TDD is 22.

Diagnosed 1/1/10

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

He's honeymooning.. :cwds:

13. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

My daughter is 11, diagnosed over 2 1/2 years ago and her TDD varies from 13-16 units a day. I think that's a small amount for her age and time since diagnosis.

14. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

Max turned 6 in Dec. He is around 16u a day at about a 50/50 split basal/bolus. He weighs 55# and 47.5" tall.

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son who is DEFINATELY not honeymooning take around 20 units total a day. He is almost 10 and inching towards 60 pounds. Less than what is typical but not honeymooning. Not every child who takes lower amounts are considered honeymooning. A newly diagnosed I would probably lean that way but not the case for my son and for others on this site.

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

My DD is six years old and weighs 43 pounds. I do not believe she is honeymooning, but seems to be sensitive to insulin.

Her TDD is about 11-12 units, just over half of which is basal.

17. Traci

Traci Approved members

The endo was just commenting on how low ds's basals are and how his correction ratio was not what he expected for a 10 yr old. I'm glad you posted this because I was curious, too. Ds will be 10 in less than a month and weighs 69 lbs. His total daily dosage is around 20 to 24 units of humalog. His basal/bolus ratio is right at 50:50. He's been dx'd for 8 yrs.

I'm sure our needs will vary over the years, and so long as ds's numbers are where they should be, how much or how little insulin he uses doesn't really concern me. Should it?

18. Traci

Traci Approved members

Looks like we have about the same amounts. :)

19. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I would not let it concern you at all! My son has no measurable C peptide, has been dx since he was 15mo old and yet still takes smaller than usual doses. Some people have tried to tell me "just wait, until 'real' diabetes hits then you will know what it is like!!" I just laugh at that. My son spills ketones in just under an hour if his site goes bad. We have been through it all! Smaller TDD amounts do not mean anything....ANYTHING! I will add though that my son is incredibly active and has always been this way. He has a very fast metabolism and I do believe that all of that contributes to his lower doses.

20. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

It's interesting to see the variety in TDD and it just shows that everyone's different. I've always felt that using more isn't good or bad...just necessary when needed!! ;)